OT: One box to rule them all?

Hi Guys

Currently have a DT few months and really enjoying its workflow. However I need song mode… as imo that frees up your hands and head to play the instrument, tweak parameters which is the real fun of the DT.

Initially I was considering getting the A4 so I could get a synth and send prog changes to the DT but tbh what I really enjoy is focusing on one core box and controlling everything from that … also my desire for the A4 wasn’t that solid …really just the song mode + synth but the SQ I am really looking for is more poly like the Rev2 … which I could get the desktop version of … and put it on stand in front of the OT

So the case seems clear to me that a core sampler, midi sequencer that I focus on 80% as my instrument is the type of setup I want. Song mode included, versatility on one shot samples for drums + longer samples should I want them too …then sequence my OP1 (and later the Rev2) from that …

The pros seem very clear and all roads lead to the Octatrack …

However caveats on getting one include the fact you can’t line out all 8 tracks , that the circuitry is a bit old and the FX aren’t so impressive in 2019 (OP1 however is older! and i love it)

I’m not a pro musician but enjoy a good mix … and have heard that many just mix as best they can on the OT and stereo line out into their DAW the full mix OR separate parts of the mix into lows and highs using line out and cue outs into their DAW

But what about the FX? Also I’ve heard some folks really recommend pairing OT with DT , with DT on one shots and OT handling longer samples …

Again, what i’d like is one core hub box and a peripheral synth sequenced from it…

One last caveat … 4 voice poly is the max for the OT and DT , but of course there are workarounds using 2x midi tracks … any good 8 voice + sequencers out there as a legit alternative choice to the OT?

Thanks !!!

2 Likes

Step sequencers or linear sequencers?

1 Like

Digitone :slight_smile:
4 MIDI tracks with 8 voice polyphony

2 Likes

Watch your source material, and mixing on the OT is fine.

As for the fx, the traditional ones such as reverb, delay, chorus and so on, are about average. If you use them in traditional ways.

But the filters, the EQ, the compressor and those kind of fx, they’re great. You gotta accept the OT’s character and use them for what they do best, and then you got a box full of personality.

For making complete tracks or sets, it’s a great one stop solution.

5 Likes

Hey ! Ah linear would be the MPC world right? Based on my needs would an AKAI etc be a good fit?

I read the musicradar review of the OT Mk2 written last year and it said the OT is still king for the live manipulation etc aspect which would be important to me …as I said I love that aspect of the DT but don’t like the constant need to have part of my brain remembering to switch patterns

Hey. Do you mean watch general quality or making sure you record in at a higher db?

Cool well on the FX , you can always loop a track out into a pedal and back into the OT right?

Thanks!

1 Like

I’ve recently moved a small amount of gear into a second studio, with the emphasis on simplicity, standing-up, seeing some actual daylight. The Octatrack is my core MIDI sequencer driving a small selection of synths that I swap in or out as needed. Currently these are a Digitone, Analog Four and Blofeld. I process the Blofeld through the OT’s effects and use the OT’s Arranger to put together complete songs. Granted I don’t try and process all synths through the OT’s effects - but I’m happy with those in the A4/DT anyway.
The whole thing works really smoothly and although there are limitations, most notably the OT’s 4x16 step approach to sequencing, I think the OT as the heart of the system makes real sense and use MIDI tracks, its own audio tracks, audio processing, effects, scenes and arrangements. I’d go as far as to say the OT is only truly satisfying when you use it all.

1 Like

OT fx are mostly ok, a few great, a few useable and a couple of not so good, the reverb on the DT is better, but you could always add a dedicated reverb and use it in fx loop with OT via cue outs. The OT dark reverb is often useable enough if not stellar though.

Other options to consider are the Deluge and Squarp Pyramid, both offer good sequencing, with the Pyramid being a dedicated and very powerful sequencer, the Deluge being a sampler, synth, sequencer of which it does all 3 fairly competently if not as powerful as dedicated separate units, it does a good job though overall.

I wouldn’t worry about there not being line outs for each track, or trying to get the mix 100% perfect in the OT. unless you don’t have a DAW and can only work with a stereo mix. if you’re using song mode, you’ll have the entire structure all there. you can record individual parts as needed (or a pair at a time, separated). if some of them need “live” tweaking while recording, you’re free to do it with more precision because you’ll only be recording one track at a time.

lots of people get obsessed with having to record all their sounds at once. bands rarely do this, why should electronic musicians…?

anyway, song mode on the OT is awesome. highly recommended. :+1:

In general, I’d say. I mean, you should always watch your gain staging as you record, the OT’s no exception, but even so, if you got great recorded material from another source and just want to use it as is, directly within the OT, then if it’s solid to begin with, you’ll find that the OT responds really well to its material.

I’ve grown to really like its compressor, filter and EQ. It is what it is, not a lot of features going on, but it brings out a unique and very punchy character, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Perhaps this app is smthg for you. it’s just a couple quid: Harmonix - Digitone iOS App

It features (among many other very handy things) a DN song mode, i.e. it sends midi cc messages to change patterns and you can create sequences of patterns and store or manipulate them as necessary. Not the best option, but if you got a battered ipad lying around somewhere, I’d try it at least.

When considering the Deluge, and bringing in overall audio quality into the discussion, I’d say the Octatrack is better.

The Deluge is great in so many ways. But when it comes to processing audio through its filters and fx, it’s not its strongest side, though. I’d say that if you can call the Octatrack’s fx something with character, I’d go so far as to say that the Deluge’s internal fx just aren’t all that great, period.

I find that the OT can sound kind of dull at first but I’ll stumble upon things that make the source material sound light years better, especially in the the low register and in harmonics. The filter and comb filter do things that I just haven’t seen elsewhere, albeit I live in Ableton stock plugins most of the time. It’s a weird device. It won’t necessarily make your music better but it will make your music different.

Agreed, and I think we are being kind about it :wink:

1 Like

Thanks for all the comments guys!

What is the assessment on midi sequencing on OT vs DT? LIke the Rev2 is all about the pad sounds and ideally I’d like to get the desktop version , though I do have a keystep too

Also part of me just wants to stick with my DT and wait for the OT mk3 to come out with OB etc … although someone did correctly question whether 8x stereo tracks via usb is possible…certainly using my DT over OB in Reason 10 , I noticed the SQ was not good compared to from the DT’s headphone out

Haha, yes :slight_smile: the Deluge got a lot going for it. FX ain’t part of it. And, I’d argue, its interface is becoming slightly burdened by the impressive amount of features the Synthstrom crew is implementing. But that’s for another thread and another topic.

I’m running frequently 32 mono tracks simultaneously over USB, as welll as a couple of stereo returns @64 samples buffer. USB is not a bottleneck here.

1 Like

hmm yeah glad to hear that !

Again if I was able to make the DT work with a jury rigged song mode I’d rather wait it out for a true Octatrack successor … maybe in a few years as right now Elektron are focusing it appears on the Model range

Any view on use of retrokits cables for rigging a song mode?

Did you try with midi loopback?

1 Like

Whoa, I’ve never seen sezare play DT’s advocate… :grin:

The OT is greater than the sum of its parts, and when you put them together for me it outweighs any shortcomings, it’s just too much fun and does so many crazy audio tricks… My apogee with high quality plugins in Logic sounds better, but the audio coming out of an Octatrack and the ways you can control it blow my mind. Gladly make some trade offs for this box…

I do use it as a main looper/effects/midi sequencing hub and it works a treat… Sort of has delegated my computer to just recording now unless I go into hybrid experimental mode. That’s a lot of fun too sequencing plugins from OT while sending OT tracks through fx plugins and sequencing those…
#OTRules!

3 Likes