OT MKII or DT?

I have only the Digitakt and use it a lot with my DAW through Overbridge. The DAW makes a greats sound source for the Digitakt, but the Digitakt I also use as both a sequencer and midi controller for the DAW, allowing me to sequence VSTs and control parameters via CC using parameter locks.

Overbridge VST allows be to capture all the audio channels from the Digitakt as well as all the MIDI, so I can capture sessions and edit out or embellish all the mistakes later. They make great combo giving me 16 audio channels controlled by the Digitakt.

That said I do intend to add an OT at some stage, but having used DT + OB I am not in any rush.

I record everything in OT and transfert wav files.

OT has slices, it can be used as 64 sounds kits. You can plock any sounds of the 256 slots, so you can have access to 256x64=16384 one shots max per project, in any pattern.

OT is particularly “crazy” with sliced loops!

3 Likes

Yes the OT does do slicing but that does not provide the same functionality as browsing a list of named kits and selecting the one you wish to use.

I have only the OT, but from what I have understood, the OT seems to have more options to manipulate samples and sound. IMO the DT is more of a performance Drum-Machine and the OT is a multi-purpose multi-machine performance sampler, which is also excellent for drum-machine duties.

How and how much you would like to mangle your samples will point you to either direction, less mangling to DT - more and weird/experimental to OT.

Since you seem to work with relatively short single shots, you don’t need the functionality of the OT, which can work with quite huge samples using the “static machines” streaming audio from the flash drive.

The more integrated you want to work with a DAW and the more the unit will be used as a drum-machine the more the DT will fit the bill.

2 Likes

OT’s crossfader let you morph between 2 scenes with up to 250 parameters per track : a hihat can become a polyphonic pad.

The 16 scenes and the crossfader can be midi controlled.

Realtime resampling (8 independant recorders of any source) for realtime sample based fx, pitch, reverse, pitched delay, granular like…

4 Likes

You can integrage the OT in your daw by connecting 1 pair of inputs to the DAW’s send out and back into a stereo channel.

You have still another pair to do this a second time: CUE to a patch bay, mixer, outboard, pedals, another sampler even.

You can connect the usb transfer only port to a cumputer to transfer files (big and small, stems even, sliced loops), transfer can even be remote by smart use of a (headless) Raspberry Pi.

Remote sample management via Raspberry Pi

I only have an OT, I will never sell or trade it.

I could see myself adding a DT when a generous deal comes along. Not sure if I would really use the OB DAW integration a lot, but it’s sweet that it is there.

I am far from an OT master, playing with it is -after a short intence honeymoon - not difficult at all and super rewarding. YMMV

5 Likes

Some typo’s are meant to be and should not be corrected :loopy:

Thats so cool, didn’t know this. I guess the DT is next on my shopping list then!

2 Likes

Get both! I’m tempted by that anyway…

2 Likes

Slavery it is

2 Likes

Thanks so much guys for the tips

Yes, check the Overbridge public beta…if your OS is supported, then you should be good. Works great for me and my DT.

Two different beasts that will help you break these chains :sunglasses:

1 Like

I had a go with the OT MK1 and it didn’t stick.

However, the OT MK2 did, for me, and the more I use it, the more I love it.
I really don’t even consider the Digitakt as an option. The OT MK2 is just such a great experience, and the first few days of learning it were so much easier than OT MK1.

1 Like

Why are you doing this to me? Must resist OT Mk2…

Resistance is futile.

Third thing I did with the OT MK2, after about 2 weeks of 1 hour sessions per day.

4 Likes

I only played the mk2, what are the differences that made you like the new OT vs the mk1 ? Just curious

2 Likes

this is so sick, if you’re into techno this should sell you instantly

The dedicated buttons make a big difference.

• Not having to remember where to find the audio editor. On the MK1 the key combo was wholly dependent on what section of the interface I was currently in.

• Knowing what the knobs do while in the audio editor, thanks to the printed cues beneath them (zoom/start/loop/scroll)

• Button for save project (I use this one countless times per session), while sequencer is still running.

• Other things that required remembering where to find them as they weren’t clear on the MK1, like pickup sync, pickup play/start, trig mode, etc. Basically anything that is printed on the MK2 that wasn’t on the MK1 now just requires a quick look to jog the memory instead of trial and error or referencing the manual. It’s easier to get back up to speed with the MK2 after a little time away with it.

9 Likes

I use Splice and have an OT MK I. I like just dumping what I have downloaded onto the CF card and not having to worry about space for the most part. I would not be able to fit all of these samples on a Digitakt and swapping them in and out all the time would drive me nuts.

6 Likes