OT MKII or DT?

Hi

I have been thinking about getting a “go to” sampler for a while now. I’ve narrowed my choices down to the Octatrack MKII or Digitakt. I use Splice.com in almost all of my productions, draging & dropping sounds into the DAW. It’s immideate & results in a fast workflow. 90% of samples I use are one shots, the rest is atmo or instrumental samples (chords, leads and so on)

I have read all there is to read about the OT and DT but can’t make up my mind which sampler would suit my needs better.

I am not looking for a DAWless workflow
My goal is to have all my favourite kits (mostly one shot drum samples) stored and accessable, at hand, and ready to be mangled / sequenced straight into my DAW.

OT or DT, that’s the big question.

Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

I’d say OB would work for your flow so a DT mate

1 Like

Sounds like you want DT with Overbridge, so you can record individual tracks into the DAW.

And for what you’re doing, OT may be overkill.

4 Likes

Fast workflow. Model:Samples :slight_smile:

2 Likes

DT with OB also lets you sample directly from DAW!

If you are not looking for a “DAWless workflow” why buy a hardware sampler at all?

2 Likes

To use it like an instrument - recording sounds into my DAW - having tactical control and quick acess to my favourite sounds for fluid creation

Im leaning more towards the OT MKII cause it can do so much but maybe the DT is better suited for fluid creation (with OB, whenever that arrives)

I was just thinking literally the only thing that makes me want another OT is the hard drive. But the only thing stopping me is Overbridge. I’ll be honest, it’s easier to save things on the DT. Don’t underestimate that. You WILL lose work on the Octatrack. On the DT, maybe only while working on the first couple tracks then you’re good. Static machines on the OT is a godsend though, if you like working with long samples. Somehow I think one day I’ll end up with another Octatrack. But I dunno, I hate that it can’t record everything you do on it. You can’t multi-track 8 things at once. It’s best thought of as a two track or 4-track to get the most flexibility out of it. Still, as much of an island as it is, I have a lingering love for it even though I can’t bring myself to buy another one. Not to sound dramatic. The great thing about it is how much you can do with it, and with another instrument or two, it really sounds quite full. Makes me think a DT and an OT could be a great combo, but I hate the idea of having too much gear. An Octatrack 3 is everyone’s dream. But I wonder if it can ever tick everyone’s wishlist. Overbridge would do it for me - then one could have it all.

2 Likes

It’s arrived…Already!!

1 Like

Ahh ok :slight_smile: Nice

Is the Octatrack crazier than the DT in terms of sound mangling or are they similar in that regard, when it comes to “one shots”?

The Octatrack is way crazier.

Like, 3 LFO’s per track, time stretch, 12 FX or something to choose from, slicing, etc etc

but with craziness comes responsibility, my son

3 Likes

The OT is way crazier ! I have both… Thing is it’s fantastic to have both… DT is immediate, joyfull, the OT is a monster with one thousand and one heads… I would not keep one upon the other… Just two incredible instruments …

2 Likes

These are still understatements :smiley:

5 Likes

Indeed ! Just think " ARP " or "scale " or " lfo "… And " CUE "

3 Likes

I think that you may find that it is actually quicker to access sounds in your DAW than in the OT.

It is a two part process on the OT, select sample from the card and place it in Flex/Static slot for use in a pattern. The small screen size means a lot of scrolling if you have a numerous samples on the card.

Can’t speak for the DT as I have never used one.

2 Likes

Edit: I was wrong, sweet

Yeah I was expecting that, but can I save kits on the OT like on Machinedrum, to save time. Let’s say I load up a specific project (kit), let’s say it’s called 909 with eight 909 samples on the eight OT tracks, could I save these kinds of projects (kits) for later recall?

What…i did it the other day sending notes from serum into the DT…

1 Like