OT MK2 + MPC Live Killer combo!

Yeah, this is an impressive part of the machine; it really is so capable. However, mine is going on eBay tomorrow as I think I’m just Octatrack-ed. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

sounds very good to me

how are the FX, specially the EQ, delay and reverb

They are OK as place holder fx. I certainly wouldn’t use them as the fx in a final mix.

ok thank you, this is what i wanted to hear

since i’m selling some stuff, this could be the machine to go (just the Live, not the big one)

I’ve got one in great condition with an internal ssd that I’m moving on.
If interested, pm me.
Adam

The FX sound better as sends v inserts in my experience. With that said, the filters are awesome!

2 Likes

I think the fx are really not that bad. How many drumplers you have which allow a compressor and an eq on every pad :diddly: You can basicly mix your drums to a degree inside the kit itself.

Expecting eventide etc quality reverb/delay/modulation might be a stretch however… Altho I love the frequency shifter

2 Likes

I would still keep it, even after having it for a year I still feel like i’m just scratching the surface of whats possible with MPC+OT

Anyone here use the OTs arp with their MPC? I have a few seqs where the timing feels a bit jittery, and in those seqs I used fast arps coming from the Ot recorded into the live…

I am mainly wondering how badly one can choke the MPC with some “black MIDI” style data into its input?

Just gone on eBay.
I know . . . Impetuous.
I trust my instincts though . . .
May try a Deluge next. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have both boxes also. I anticipate linking them in the near future.
Sometimes the 4bar limit does seem like a drag. But arent there ways to trig long samples on, say, something like a 96/64 beat? With the conditional trigs?

Sure. Up to 3.5hours samples in Static slots !
One shot trigs or FIRST trig condition.

5 Likes

Aw, theyre seductive. Nervously stuttery at first, but after setting the values (exploring range i assume helped get rid of stutter) I’ve been savoring the timbral influences. They are very sturdy, have no give and feel much more like Yamaha digital drums. No button like wiggle.

While setting the Q-link parameters, my unit took the learn action to school, and began a predictive algirithm of completion, self-assigning remaining parameters to other knob functions. The mapping is sugarsmacks tight! Each pad can host its own settings (contributing to extra build troubles and possibly some confusion).

Finally, after the mapping is achieved, the functionality is toggled by the little geometry notation button R or W, with write allowing knob performance. Record the performance while red W is toggled, and green r is to read the influences. This setting may also be placed to off.

I think you meant that message for someone else but it’s good to know :slight_smile:

My wife gifted me an Octatrack two days ago and after playing around with it for a while I am now looking for reasons not to sell my MPC1000 lol…I do understand why people compare these machines with both being samplers and all, but man, the Octatrack is an entirely different creature!! So good!!! I use my Digitakt for drums, the Octatrack for melodic and harmonic sample playback and manipulation (in realtime yey, take that MPC :stuck_out_tongue:) and an A4 for pads and synth fx. The Octatrack also sequences a NYX and an Erebus. The Digitakt’s MIDI tracks are set to sequence the first eight tracks of the MPC, so anything I chop up on those can be directly sequenced from the Takt, which is important to me, because I haven’t found a way to make the MPC sequencer feel hands-on enough for a live setting (building / improvising a tune in real-time).

I appreciate the MPC for its old school production vibe and it is fun to build 90s style hip hop beats on it, but for live use / live improvisation, little things such as no sequence switching after overdub/record, no on-the-fly lengthening of a track’s length, no independent track lengths within a sequence, and only two Q Link sliders (and no way to address more Q Links via MIDI) really let it down. Also, using a 32GB CF card, the load times and lag when navigating through folders sometimes can be silly. And the menu diving of course takes away from the spontaneity, although that get’s better with improved muscle memory.

Given that I am using the Digitakt to sequence the MPC I wonder if I’d be better off with an SP404 as sample repository & playback device to replace the MPC…

7 Likes

Some things to consider

•linear sequencing, longer patterns than 4 bars without chaining
•smoother cc automation
•crossfade looping
•drumpads
•Grid editing
•individual outputs until overbridge
•automating your crossfader smoothly
•stereo threshold sampling
•selecting A,B,C or D with a pedal is nice

Also you can use independent track lengths with simult sequence if that’s any good to you, it’s definitely no octatrack when it comes to poly rythms but it’s something. I used my MPC for the first time the other day after months of using maschine and I completely forgot how slow the loading times were for reading the card, it sucked. Got a soft spot for it still though. If you’ve only had OT 2 days you have so much to discover with it, I’d say hold onto MPC till you’ve settled with it, never know what ways you might use both. Granted I would prefer a live now though, lose some features but gain many

3 Likes

I bought an MPC 1000 again after testing Octatrack, because of some above reasons, and especially polyphony, midi overdub. Program changes can also be problematic with OT, and even with LIVE, unless it was updated.

But I was using OT only, so I sold this heavy MPC 1000 and bought an little MPC 500 just in case.

I really didn’t like the very similar SP555. No midi control except midi notes!

Check Beatsqueezer too :

3 Likes

Thanks!! From your list, I’m familiar with most positives except the crossfade looping and the smooth crossfader automation… I’ll google these now! JJOS is like a treasure island, something useful/a gem of functionality could be hiding just behind the next submenu :slight_smile:

I hear you re the softspot, I have one for mine too…the look and feel of it, jamming out on its pads, slicing with it etc…I’m just amazed at how different the Octatrack is in terms of what it can do and how it feels, just two different creatures. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ah!! I’ve been pestering the maker of the Beatsqueezer on Facebook in regular intervals, if he makes another batch I’ll be quick to get one, cool little device!! :slight_smile:

1 Like