OT MK2 + MPC Live Killer combo!

No it won’t. It’s when you duplicate the pattern you made on track 1 to track 2 and you have both tracks playing at the same time. You can start pad muting the sounds you don’t like to get the loop you didn’t think about this whole time.

ahh ok now I see what you mean. That kinda workflow is not my cup of tea though, but explains the poly loss.

If you have actually ate through your polyphony you can tell because there is note stealing going on. I have only had that happen a few times ever! I think new notes will steal the oldest note event by default. I’ve been playing MPCs since 2004 and have only had note stealing happen 5-7 times in my life.

2 Likes

It used to happen to me on my 1000. But on the live it’s too easy to flatten pads that it’s no longer an issue.

2 Likes

MPC Live arrived yesterday.

Impressive machine.

Could be the heart of my setup . . .

If I can solve the program change delay (OT is behind by the length of the pattern scale) and . . .

If each sequence triggers an OT pattern, they’re only 128 patterns I can trigger from the MPC. Projects only have 128 sequences so I guess that’s right.

If I can get around those things . . . :heart:️ of my setup.

2 Likes

currently using my ot to send midi data to tye mpc, and playing that back with the mpc seq thereafter. Its like the MIDIpip/ rec implementation OT never had, fluid and (relatively) unquantized.

1 Like

Try either
1 just using separate song modes in the 2 machines, as long as they are synced it works, so you can get pattern changes independently of each other.
2 running a single long sequence on the mpc and just sequencing linearly that way. That’s what I’ve been doing with my mpc synced to studio one 4. And I just play parts into the mpc as needed.

Cheers for that.
I’m really eager to have the MPC trigger the patterns on the OT. I can label them in the MPC better and navigate a set easier . . . If I can get the change to happen when I need it to of course!

2 Likes

Well . . . It is a killer combo for sure but . . . I think I’m going to sell this MPC. It really can do everything - just not quite with the Octatrack.

1 Like

Could you elaborate?

Well . . . The MPC really is like a DAW in a standalone machine.

It’s truly impressive.

It sounds great. The pads are fabulous and really tactile. There’s lots of different ways to get sound to work . . . Audio tracks, clips, triggering samples, triggering midi. . . .

The hardware connects to pretty much anything. And you can plug pretty much anything into it.

But it just feels too polished for what I’m after. I didn’t realise until having it amongst the rest of my gear. It’s thoroughly a personal way of working thing that is the issue. It really is a case of splitting up and honestly saying “it’s not you; it’s me!”

The program change issue that I and many others have mentioned is frustrating if you want to trigger an MPC pattern and have the Octatrack etc. all change together. Bearing in mind that I’ve got two Octatracks, keeping them on the same page is important to me.

If I had no other machines, the MPC could be the one and only thing need.

2 Likes

Too polished as the sound being too transparent ?

There are different settings to affect the sound. Like legacy settings. I didn’t play with these things.
It’s not that the sound is transparent in a weak or negative way. It sounds great. It’s more the interface. Now this is going to sound really moronic but . . . I’ve think I’ve come to associate music making machines with lots of knobs and small a small screen. The MPC has a large screen and few knobs. Now that’s not me trying to be funny. I think the more knobs/small screen setup encourages me to get involved more. The MPC displays everything and gives you access to loads on the screen and with the few knobs too. As such I find myself interfacing with the MPC rather than playing it.

1 Like

I use my MPC as a daw and a second sequencer. Also the sampling seems a bit more robust on it

1 Like

Make your mpc patterns with the p c message at the start of the last bar, so that the octatrack will change in time. Just takes s bit of work up front to setup your performance. It’s an elektron issue btw, not mpc

Yeah, I appreciate it’s just two different ways of working. I’m not apportioning any blame.

Just to support your decision even more, the MPC 1000 has a more gritty & warm sample feel to it as apposed to the LIVE.
That’s one of the main reasons why I still use a 1,000. Not to mention the rock solid sequencing and increased amount of tracks.

2 Likes

Maybe it’s my workflow, but everything that comes out of my Live is dirty.
And I like it.

2 Likes

Just one questions about the MPC live: if you want to program a chord with three notes for an external gear, is it possible then to have different velocities per note at a certain step?

Yes you can.
Even with chord progressions with the “Pad Perform” (I absolutely love this) Mode you can mark single notes of the chord and adjust the velocity or length after recording.

by the way: firmware update 2.2.3 was released today

3 Likes