OT limitations, is it worth it in 2020

Seagal plays guitar and released a “reggae” album, it’s even worse than you would imagine. I guess he would be a Rytm (he would say riddim) guy.

Ok, back on topic.

1 Like

Agreed that buyers have to be willing to pay those prices, but I guess my point is that I find it unlikely that the Octatrack will depreciate at all. Once they’re no longer in production, I suspect value will at least hold, but will likely increase as with other discontinued gear such as some of the classic mpcs and other gear. I don’t know how many units have been produced, but eventually there will be a finite and ever dwindling number.

There’s a similar thread on GS, and the people there tend to be much harsher than here.

There were some people criticizing the OT, but many more praising it. If anything, the praise was more intense and one-sided than here.

1 Like

Fairly new to the OT working my way through the Masterclass tutorial I discovered things I didn´t even know were possible/I would have never thought of and that no other machine offers to my knowledge (for example the types of recording trigs and all the adjustable things on the arranger) so there´s no doubt to me that the OT is still worth it. The workflow might be a bit cumbersome here and there but as someone who has been programming lighting desks on a regular basis it somehow feels familiar. You do a lot of work while preparing it but when it´s time for some action it boils down to only a few physical knobs/faders you actually use while performing. So preparation is key and will decide if you´ll have fun with it or get frustrated.

I never read a lot on there and after the thread for the Model: Cycles turned into a serious hate parade I think I haven´t logged in since.

Sometimes I wonder with what the people on GS actually make music :thinking: From one point or the other everything seems to be shit. Best to stay away there…

I haven’t been on there in years. In my early days, before I knew of this forum and others, it would be a helpful resource but sheesh threads would quickly turn into shitstorms for absolutely no reason.

I read GS purely for the entertainment value. Really enjoyed the thread asking why there were no new 19" rack samplers in 2020.

3 Likes

Hey ya’ll, while it’s great to see how much you prefer our little community over others, it would be even greater if we could keep the thread on topic.

Yea?

Thanks!

9 Likes

“Sample a loop into Octatrack buffer, then what?”

1 Like

I picked up a Mutant Brain and it’s been a lot of fun integrating the OT in eurorack.

As far as the “in 2020” question, the only aspects of the OT that feel dated are the limited Flex memory (not really an issue) and a lack of MIDI over USB. In every other aspect it feels great to me.

2 Likes

I’m not far from buying one. Checking a lot of videos comparing the DT vs OC and my only concern, and this is where it can be outdated to me, is the quality of the sound and FX. DT is more hi-fi quality than the OT.

2 Likes

If I remember correctly the DT has an added boost in the high frequency. You can easily do this with the various EQs on the OT. The OT sample playback is crystal neutral.

Re fx OT has fx per 8 tracks visavis one DT send blah blah blah

2 Likes

You will not regret at OT purchase unless you are impatient in wanting to learn it. It is the single most rewarding piece of gear I own despite its limitations. A classic for years to come IMO.

5 Likes

So this has been talked about at length on this forum.

I even did a shootout.

And while that shootout gives you an objective comparison to study, there is also the subjective and practical comparisons to be made.

Something I’ve learned this year, while really digging into using the OT by itself, is the newer Elektron Reverb algorithm is not at all missed when I am using the OT. It really does depend on how I’ve set up the Part for the tune I am making.
Of course YMMV, but again this is my own experience in practice, a plate reverb on a drum sound here, a dark reverb on a lead synth sample there, perhaps even some reverb that already existed on the sample I imported from Reaktor, and I don’t find myself needing that more dense modern Elektron reverb often at all.
When the tune does need a little more, a carefully crafted dark reverb on the master track FX2, with HPF and LPF dialed in meticulously almost always does the trick.

The variety of reverb algorithms, combined with the ability to use up to 8 of them at a time, each with different parameters and effecting different frequencies, modulated by dedicated LFO = complexity.
Even only 1/4 of this complexity more than makes up for that added bump of density the modern Elektron reverb has over the OT’s dark reverb.

16 Likes

Quick question, what is max midi note polyphony per step?

if i remember correctly 4

2 Likes

I often thought the complaints about the OT reverb were overblown. Glad to know I’m not alone. The only type of reverb I like that I cant get out of the OT is a shimmer.

2 Likes

Yeah, I use differently set up reverbs across my OT quite often, nicely glues everything together and lets shine individual tracks easily.

Also it’s always possible to use external fx.

1 Like

what Jay said is right… after more than 10 month i just turned on my OT and tried to transfer the sounds and pattern to the MPC Live … what a difference and what i archived with the OT… although the FX on the OT are somehow more LoFi, they improve the sound a bit over there and over there

i really like the combFX and the darkreverb, not bad at all, also the delay

i see the FX not as an extra unit, but more as an integral part of soundshaping the samples

1 Like