OT limitations, is it worth it in 2020

Yea I saw a MK1 with box etc (even the screenprotector tape still on) for $800 CAD (~$600) on a local buy and sell group… almost jumped on it.
I do really like the look of the mk2 as I’ve got digis so used to that look. but its twice the price (used… nearly 3x new) so it would be a lot to go up!

1 Like

Imho, yes.

Well, there are MD and MM mk2s, but also yes, imho.

You mean MD and MM? There’s a problem with individual outs and main outs on MD, they are out of phase.
But there’s an unofficial firmware update for the MD which also brought new features.

1 Like

Just get it. Spend some time with it, see if it gels, sell for a profit or pass on the good price to the next buyer if you don’t like it. (Assuming everything is working well)

1 Like

Yes, this works fine for my acoustic-electric guitar, as it has an onboard preamp.

My electric guitars however have passive pickups and I felt the input signal straight from any of those guitars was too low for plugging in directly into OT, even with the Amp on the OT cranked to the highest setting. I got better results from using an external preamp with those guitars.

Read that post that you referenced again, and it appears he used an Eleven Rack to preamp his guitar, with its output connected to OT.

Agree with @craig

I honestly think they went above and beyond with the OT. It does a lot! And kind of cannibalizes the other boxes a little. It’s like the benchmark.

BUT, at the same time my gut is telling me an OB/class compliant version is on the horizon.
I wouldn’t hold out for it tho.

BUT as I’m the king of bad guesses…because I said that, watch, it’ll be announced soon hahaha.

Anyways MK2 and MK1 (especially for the price) are worth it.

3 Likes

I think it more or less sets the standard for what’s modern so no, no updates are needed.

I think for that reason Elektron can take their sweet time making a successor.

2 Likes

No
and an MK1 for 600 bucks! Man thats just…Damn.

1 Like

Maybe a DI box? Not sure if this is ok cuz I don’t do guitars, but…

I like the OT in the aux bus of my Mackie mixer. For a while I plugged guitar or viola pickup into the mixer and used the mic preamp onboard the mixer to boost the signal for the OT.

1 Like

Use a compressor to compensate. Of course it’s better with a preamp / amp or amp sim.
Just saying it’s usable straight in.

Passive guitar straight in OT :

4 Likes

Ah i did not think about trying the OT’s compressor with my passive-pickup guitars.

1 Like

I run passive basses into my OT all the time. Piece of cake :slight_smile:

7 Likes

There is not going to be an Octatrack mk3.

1 Like

My favorite viola tone into the OT is viola pickup -> Fryette SAS -> OT

The SAS is a “tube distortion” pedal built around an EF86 tube. But I find it sounds really great as a clean preamp. I just limit how often I use it because I’m trying to maximize the lifetime of the EF86.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the value of OTs increase significantly after production ends. No idea what Elektron’s plans are, but look at what happened with the older silver units or the TE OP-1 when production stopped for a while. It’s pretty unique. I think there’s a good chance it’s a future classic.

2 Likes

I just got one 5 days ago, say yes :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Been playing with Octa and my new modular setup. What a joy to use it. I think there’s only one thing missing — more outputs or audio over usb. Otherwise it’s still perfect.

1 Like

I’d say just the pure amount of Elektronauts praising and “defending” the Octatrack in this Thread here in 2020 is a statement in itself :wink:

I would definitly agree that the OT is still worth in 2020, because honestly there’s still no other Hardware Sampler that can do what the OT can do. Obviously some like the Deluge, MPC Live are great and have some improved features but different workflows too. If you talk about a DAW that’s a complete different domain in my opinion. Purely talking about a Hardware Sampler in 2020 i’d say it’s still worth it.

5 Likes

Of the OTs worth or that this board is a myopic reverb hall?

1 Like

The price might rise but the global economy won’t, so like the ridiculous inflated prices on the OP-1 when production ceased there will be no buyers at those prices. But thats a different story.