OT lessons?

Yup. Knee deep in them.

And just being honest… I use my AH o my main bus, most of the time. It’s very simple to to use for giving you that drive or glue to make your drums stand out. If you want to use it for sound design it can get a little complicated, but even then… but, good on you for concentrating on the OT. It’s what you need to do for a while.

3 Likes

Settings depends on the sample, you have to make them by ear.
I just made a test with the Elektron demo mdkick.wav.
Do you have that sample on your card (Elektron Folder) ?

I’d do like this, from default settings :

• RATIO Max
  • ATK Max
  • Lower THRS until you hear a bigger compression (below 64)
  • Increase GAIN (more than 12)
  • Adjust REL, and all parameters by ear
3 Likes

If its a one shot sample, depends on the sample.
If its a loop of a 909 pattern, I like to slam the filter distortion first, then adjust the dynamics with a compressor. Again, settings are to taste, trust your ears. The octatrack compressor has taught me more about compression than any tutorial, or years of plugins. Because it forces you to listen rather than rely on numbers.

2 Likes

wow, that’s sick.

Thank you.

Yup, also no presets, just your ears!

I’ve gone through a few stages with the Octatrack in around 2 months of owning it.
At first I really liked it but wasn’t sure why… then started to dislike it almost wanted to sell it because felt it was just slowing me down
now I’m back to loving it lol.
It’s true what they say about the love/hate thing…
but I’m really getting into it now and moving away from having ableton as the “brain” to compose a track now I’m starting to understand it better…
It’s like learning a new daw in a way…
I’m still yet to complete an elektron only track but getting there

2 Likes

One truth with OT: don’t think you’ll understand everything of it entirely in a month or so. Especially as a first Elektron.

For sure, Yeah I’ve still got a lot to learn, I’ve not even touched recording yet.
I’ve been into making music for years even done music production diplomas etc…
but it’s such a unique way of working. It’s like learning from scratch again.

Working through the manual and the Merlin/Thermo document. Parts have absolutely nothing to do with MIDI tracks, correct?
First go on the Octatrack tonight…

1 Like

MIDI track parameter settings are stored in Parts.

3 Likes

Hey rusty, I’m interested in the octaedit but not able to purchase at moment…
Also bit unsure how it works can you only access it when in disk mode?
Or can you use it while the Octatrack is functioning… cheers

Should be back in a little bit; I’m tied up with a couple of things right now / more news soon.

Does OctaEdit work in real-time?

Unfortunately not. This is a limitation of the Compact Flash format; only allowing one device to access the card at any point in time; either the Octatrack or your computer.

This is a limitation of the Octatrack hardware.

Additionally, the Octatrack has a very limited MIDI implementation; and no SysEx implementation.

Whilst I could develop a Midi version of OctaEdit; it would be limited to only the standard parameters (i.e. not the Setup pages) of the current Part of the current Bank in the Project.

Over midi I would not even be able to provide 10% of the functionality that exists in OctaEdit.

5 Likes

How terrified Of the arpegiattor should I be?

The midi part of OT is the simplest imho.
Arp is simple to use. Place a trig, set note LEN to INF, choose an arp mode, done.

Besides “traditional arp stuff”, OT arp is great for spicing up a sequence.
P-lock the arp “On” for a few notes, vary, note length, arp speed, arp range etc.
Add retrigs (Microtiming menu) and/or combine with conditional trigs.

If you feel a little mad, at lfos^^

I love how easy you can come up with pretty intricate sounding sequences on the Octatrack.

For slides, make the preceeding note long enough so it overlaps, P-lock LEG on the arp page on the second note.

1 Like

Holy shit.

One note.

3 Likes

How is this midi LFO playing the most beautiful arpeggited note?? I can’t figure it out it or have it make sense?? What’s happening?? It’s magic?? I’m fucking Nills Frahm over here!! One note!!!

Spend a day with one note like this and just experiment. There is also the ARP page that allows you to play in a key, and design the arp. Double klick the arp button.

3 Likes

Dude thats what I’m doing!!! its INCREDIBLE!!! but I want to understand how it’s doing it, its like a really long pattern, it changes keys. all with subtle LFO changes