OT lessons?

If DIR is at 127, yep.
(With default settings, VOL=0, Attributes +12db).

Then why was this wrong? Or am I expected to change the level of the track to 127 ahead of time?

As I said, LEVEL 127 or DIR 127 settings are good for unity between OT inputs and outputs.

Example with Master Track : it lowers the MAIN output if you leave it at 108. You have to set it a 127 for unity.

If you don’t want to change LEVEL, you can set DIR to 108.

So many gain / level stages in OT! :scream:

With VOL = 0* and LEVEL =127, you still have +12db headroom, with a normalized sample (Attributes GAIN = 0)

*VOL = +63 = +12db

You set it before hand so you don’t have to do it after, it has the same effect on volume but if you do it before your ready to loop without volume drop. A good time to do it is when your first setting up a flex machine and assigning the buffer, then forget about it…

1 Like

Remember however that flex track level 127 ( vol default 0) is just for matching mixer DIR 127… So don’t go changing DIR or flex vol…

Thank you. This is how I’m understanding it too. But I can’t help but feel it’s a bit silly. I still don’t understand how my second question about resampling neighbor tracks fits in with all this. How can I guarantee that the neighbor I resample isn’t clipping and will play at the same volume?

How come the default ATTR gain setting is always +12? What’s the deal with that? If I change this to +15 is that the same as turning the level up to 127 since Sezare says 108 is about 3db lower than 127?

Now let’s make this question a little more complicated.

Let’s say I have a beat going on my Octa and I add a synth into inputs A and B. Let’s say I want to “mix” it so it sits where I want it to in relation to the beat. I suppose the best way to do this is via the volume knob on the synth? Since if I adjust the level knob on the thru track and the decide to sample it I’ll just have to adjust it again?

With FLEX track Level 127 and VOL 0 it should be OK.

Apparently the ATTRIBUTES GAIN +12db is there to compensate a - 12db recording automatic setting. And yes, 15db should compensate with LEVEL = 108. Not practical.

Yes but VOL is pre-fx, I like to have the ability to adjust both pre and post fx. Also VOL affects both cue and track.
But this is just me, seems like this suits what I want - others may want different- no ‘right’ way - it’s why Elektron give us these options in gain staging.

This becomes bothersome for my workflow when I might have a neighbor track level turned down just so it sits nicely with my other tracks. Does this mean it’s best practice to turn the volume down?

When is it best practice to turn the volume down vs turning the level down? In fact, it’s starting to seem clear to me that if I ever want to sample/resample I shouldn’t touch the level knob at all other than to turn it to 127…

Totally! 127 is my reference to match levels, but I can lower it afterwards. It’s easier for me, all gain staging already warps my head! :smile:

The Neighbor Level don’t influence its recording level, and its VOL (and all amp page parameters) has no effect. So it is recorded as it is. If you want to play the Flex recording at the same level as the Neighbor, you can set both Levels identically.

Instead of lowering the Neighbor, you can also lower the VOL of the track above the Neighbor.
The above’s track Level has no effect. :exploding_head:
giphy%20(2)

1 Like

Dumb question. A neighbor track is only to add effects to the preceding track, right? You can put a sample on it?

Yes.

No.

2 Likes

I mean’t can’t!! But cool. Just double checking while we are on topic.

This thread is getting so technical I love it. Anyone feel like sharing their drum compression tricks for getting a 909 sample to punch and pop?

Sample it thru you AH

Yes it also confused me at first. In fact if you mute the “above” track or change its level it has no effect. VOL is effective.
It’s the opposite for the Neighbor. Mute and level have effect, VOL isn’t effective.

Neighbor behaves as if you were recording the track above with a recorder (SCR3 = T1-8) and play it with a Flex. The track above mute or level don’t affect the recording.
But with a recorder + Flex you have access to Playback (SRC) and Amp parameters, not with Neighbor.

I returned it. Too distracting from OT for now

There are topics on this forum on the OT compressor. Search Octatrack glue compressor… I think that will bring it up. But really there is loads of info here for that question

1 Like