OT lessons?

I don’t use the midi logic enough to enlighten you… I do have a friend that has used the OT for just this purpose for years(loads of albums and touring) I don’t think he even uses it for audio. He makes electro… it’s an electro synth dream.

Dude, its insane. a 909 kick and snare and its heaven.

I think what is happening in that vid, is using the lfo to control the the arp pitch. Maybe

its SOOOOOO rad.

LFO is targeted at Note 2. You can clearly see the settings.

Btw, lfo designer is great for targeting notes. You can basically draw your own scales and transpose notes.

3 Likes

there’s no “note 2” tho

Dunno, maybe your Octatrack needs a refill?

Midi tracks have root note + three note offsets.
Not available as lfo destination?

its triggering one note from a Minimoog midi

Sure it’s a monophonic arpeggiated sequence bit LFO modulation of note 2 is what make the notes transpose up.

There is a short moment when lfo depth is 0. Sounds like the arp is doing 16th notes (jumping octaves?) and when lfo depth is increased, the notes move up again.

The video is so short, so it‘s hard to tell, I bet Oto Bim and Bam also play a role in that dreamy sound…

3 Likes

The performance aspect is the lfo depth manipulation.

2 Likes

This is an epic discovery. I kinda got what people meant when the said this thing opens up creativity unlike any DAW or even the MPC Live I had ( which is basically a DAW) but this is incredible. And Schnork, you were really helpful on a thread I started that got moved a few weeks back, and it was greatly appreciated!

4 Likes

I can’t seem to find a sound LEG effects on midi. I get what it does, ( I think) but what do you guys use it for?

TB303 like tie/glides. It makes notes overlap.

2 Likes

Make sure the preceeding note is long enough to fill the gap inbetween the two notes and P-lock LEG on the arp page on the second note.

Arp does not have to be on for legato to work.

Also make sure the synth you’re sequencing is set to mono mode with legato active.

3 Likes

Will it work with a minimoog?

Thanks @PeterHanes
I promised myself I would ignore MIDI for now and let myself get to grips with the rest of the machine first but this got my interest.
So all 5 pages of MIDI parameter settings are stored in a part? The same as the audio parameter settings, makes sense. That would include the notes, so if I am using banks = songs, and I wanted to play the same pattern with different notes, I would need to use a different part. Or, p-lock the same trigs on a different pattern to different notes?

No. The note trigs are stored in the pattern. The track parameters are stored in the Part.

So if you want different notes but with the same MIDI settings, use another pattern that is linked to the original Part.

3 Likes

The Arp on the OT is so impressive. The fact you can Plock all the different parameters means it’s an endless source of creativity.

It’s set up in a way where I feel I’m in control of the magic that happens (even when it’s happy accidents) and I can amend and adjust it intuitively.

My only real wish for the A4 is that the Arp could have the same parameters Plocked per step.

2 Likes

Jumping into the arp yesterday really changed my life. I recorded this ever evolving pattern with LFOs and the ARP and recorded it and chopped it together into something that feels like a song. ONE TRIG!!!

4 Likes

Sure.