OT Feature Requests Thread (active)

I feel like it’s definitely been brought up before but the fact that we can’t transpose samples in the Audio Editor surprises me. Without this feature, playing in-key with the Chromatic Mode is pretty difficult because the pseudo-black-and-white keys don’t correspond to the actual note. Even something as cheap and simple as the PO-33 has this feature.

EDIT: resampling is among one of the tricks to get past this but IMO this falls in the category of a workaround that honestly shouldn’t be needed for such a basic function

Once done you can get 8 octaves or more with slices. 1 track suffice to record it.

See that space on the bottom right? That would be a great place to put MUTE AUDIO/TRIG.

This would allow either the current mute type, or the mute type which allows fx tails to continue.

Just sayin’ :wink:

23 Likes

YES YES!!

2 Likes

Another minor enhancement would be multiple step selection, as on most other Elektron boxes, the OT can do it on some things but not all, like for example TRC, copy/paste currently multiple selection isn’t implemented, but for other things like the LFO designer multiple selection is possible, seems inconsistent.

12 Likes

I would love to have the tuner effect available at my OT :smiley:

3 Likes

I smell a new firmware coming for the OT soon.

1 Like

Sure some or maybe all of those things have been mentioned, but here are some things (some possible other just crazy wishes) which i would love on a FW update on the OT:

• TimeStretch having a better algorithm:

You know it, as soon as you have timestretch set to on and the current BPM is to far appart from the samples BPM the timestretch is not realy usable. I can work quite well without timestretch at all, but making it usable would be great. Specially on non-drum samples the artifacts are audible quite quickly. Also the OT trying to guess or calculate the BPM often doesn’t really workout. It would be so cool for backing tracks for ex: if you could just drop a track without prerparing it in ableton first, setting the tempo and so on.

• Possibility to set the Key of a sample:

Was just mentioned above, but getting things in Key could be a lot easier if you could somehow define the rootKey for chromatic playback (also chromatic playback would be great if it wouldn’t also stretch the sample).

• Note Hold Time for Audio Tracks & Slices (via Midi or Triggering on the OT) in Live Rec Mode:

On the OT’s Audio Tracks it’s not possible without a midi processor to record the Note Hold Time when recording via an external Midi Keyboard. The same goes if you play slices on the OT. The AMP env always dictactes the envelope. Would be so great if i could just go into live-rec mode, and hold a slice for as long as i want and that the release would be recored once you release the trig-key instead of just playing the whole sample / slice. Manually changing the AMP for each Trig is quite a workflow killer. This works on Midi Tracks but would be a great addition for the audio tracks too.

• Properly playing slices via Midi:

I know that it’s (somehow) possible to trigger slices via Midi, but in my opinion it’s too complicated to setup and not all Midi Devices can be set up to work the way the OT needs for slices to be triggered via Midi. Or again an extra Midi Processor is needed. Would be amazing if that feature would somehow be available without such a hassle.

• Controll All Feature:

Like the DT has, controll one Parameter for all Maschines would make the OT even crazier :slight_smile: Seeing lot of potential there. I guess it’s not to easy to implement because of the different Maschines having different parameters.

• Velocity Sensitivity for Audio Tracks with external Midi gear:

If i’m not mistaken playing Audio Tracks via Midi Gear does not record the Velocity on Midi Tracks that works.

• Trigger live Recording via Midi
    When you are siting on a Keyboard and try to record some melodies for Midi Tracks for ex. it would be cool to trigger Live-Recording Mode via Midi wihout having to turn to the OT to start it.

• Mixer Page (Level Meters) for Tracks
    A visual feedback of the Level’s of the Maschines would sometimes be great. Would help the whole GainStaging topic and make it easier to Monitor Volumes wihout a DAW. That’s a bit far fetched, but why not dreaming :slight_smile:

• Compressor with Visual Feedback / Limiter Feature
    I’ve heard fellow octatrack users having great experiances with the OT’s compressor, i’ve tried it a couple of times. But since i don’t have a well trained ear to hear the compression it would be cool to have an little indicator showing how much compression is applied and when. It can easily leed to false results because you don’t see how much gain you should compensate. Also that’s actually one of the only sections of the OT where i think the values beeing 0-127 is not realy making sense. If you’re not a pro it’s much easier to read about how many ms you might need for attack and release to have a base for the settings to start from there. I know you can create a little table an write down 0-127 mapped to the ms of attack and release but that is just another piece of paper with crazy notes about the OT :slight_smile:

I would really love a limiter on the master to help having equal levels of different tracks. This could be made with the compressor, but because of the above mentioned steps it’s quite a pain. Having the compo of a Limitier and Compressor on the master would be cool. I would even prefer a limiter over a compressor.

Not in any particular order but if i could choose i’d go with Setting the Key of a Sample, Note Hold Time and an easier way of playing slices via Midi.

The Device is great and for me it’s really down to those things that would make the OT even better then it already is :octopus:

2 Likes

Yeah, that would be so cool…
Since mutes in the Arranger don’t cut off audio, it should be possible to make it available as a per track selection. I guess^^

I’d definitely like this, but there are not enough midi notes left over from the current mappings to allow 64 slices, a possible solution could be to add another midi mode with its own definable channel, that won’t allow it to be set to the currently used track and auto channels - even better yet give the OT a multimap mode, where slices, slots, tracks, patterns, delay control, mutes, etc can be freely mapped.

2 Likes

Also doable with a midi processor, as 2 other of your requests. :wink: Possible to play / record slices, with length (Hold min), and velocity (VOL). Imho main hassle is to buy it. Event Processor is easy to set up and I can help.

Trig conditions is the only new feature since ages, just saying…

1 Like

Mute channel without cut the FX like reverb / delay (in send option) !!!
its must have for me !!!

:3lektron:

2 Likes

If it’s a must have - have you tried scenes with Amp Vol?
Also holding function while turning the encoder flicks amp vol to zero.

3 Likes

For information, Arranger Mutes mute trigs, not fx tails. Usable on a looped pattern.
It’s also possible to use Plays Free Tracks, keeping fx tails.

I’ll say it again, for me the most important improvements would be a personalisation option to make track mutes be trig mutes and not audio mutes, and bpm per pattern or bank.

And today I was thinking about the possibility of new effects, I know it’s very unlikely to happen, but I had this exciting idea: a new delay effect that sends to fx1 in the feedback loop, so echoes become increasingly affected by fx1. And perhaps it could also work with reverbs, so long reverberations could “get weird”.

2 Likes

You can do better with CUE recordings, sent to CUE - > feedback with any fx, with sample mangling feedback = pitch delay, shimmer reverb, feedback with combfilters, screaming distorted filters…

2 Likes

Ah, yes… I haven’t tried that yet, but it makes sense. You’d have to use an additional thru track, right?

Preferably a Flex, letting you pitch, reverse, slice…Octatrack as Rainmaker

1 Like

Another inconsistency that I always forget to add:

Zoom behaviour: If you zoom vertically the last setting is remembered when changing samples or slices, handy when working on many samples/slices in succession, BUT horizontal zoom isn’t remembered and it goes back to default setting, pretty time consuming and somewhat annoying to have to keep zooming back in when for instance editing slice points, so I would prefer it to act the same as vertical zoom and have the last zoom level persist.

And whilst on the subject of editing samples, it would be nice to be able to change sample without leaving AED, additionally it would be nice if when in the AED the current trig mode works for AED - for example if you have slice trig mode then you can change slice in focus by pressing relevant trig key, or if in slots trig mode you can select another sample to edit.

2 Likes

I like the idea about slot and slice mode changing focus…
Do you know if it’s possible to play different samples when in slot mode from an external keyboard? I haven’t tried that yet