Osc 1 Feedback

…ahhhh, what a beauty…love it…

Thanks for the ‘feedback’ guys :slight_smile:

@Trabant OSC1 is set to feedback, OSC2 to a Pulse with Sub set to 5th and some slow but deep positive PWM. Sync set to metal and fully engaged.

Then it’s just a matter of playing some notes with different velocities and letting the slow random LFOs screw the filter. Lots of reverb and a little chorus and off you go!

6 Likes

B I G phat thanks!!! finally it sounds like I am part of the kool kids!

I’ve found lately that the Feedback OSC makes great intros and outros for live sets.

2 Likes

Wow I just read about this Feedback feature today so I put together this here track - EAR BASHING NOISES!

Here is my take on the subject:

https://soundcloud.com/mikolai-stroinski/brain-kill

fantastic toy!

sweet

Here’s a soundscape style thing (something to do with Iran was on my mind) - using some the patches uploaded in this thread - cheers Cocker & co :slight_smile: - lots of infra-sound so go low!

5 Likes

I just try it. Nice !
Thank to those who point me in that direction.
Loto’fun
:slight_smile:

2 Likes

pssst !

Great to see this thread still inspiring new stuff after so long.

The A4 truly is a remarkable synth

And the Feedback Osc is the shit !!

1 Like

It is! This thread was an eye opener back then

I spent my whole evening yesterday playing with it, so nice.

However I have still not understood exactly how it works…
Would someone take the time to explain ?

I think of it a little bit like No Input Mixing

If you haven’t looked that up before than give it a google

Feel free anybody to correct me if I’m wrong but…

Basically, in Feedback mode the Oscillator does not need to cycle a waveform to generate audio

It passes it’s output back to it’s input recursively

Any tiny amount of noise in the path can be amplified by feeding back on itself

It’s a pretty unstable way of generating tone but it works well for really raw edgy stuff

I like that Elektron have included it. It’s fairly unique. You don’t find it on a lot of synths

DSI now make a Eurorack Feedback module and I believe it’s a feature on some of the newer prophet synths ?? Not sure how well they’ve implemented it in the signal path of the rest of the synth

Elektrons one is very well done in that it can be modulated by OSC2 and the LFOs/ENVs

3 Likes

In esence it uses the osc1 volume control to mix in the output of the filter section: very much like the famous "headphone to external input-trick"on a minimoog. Result is a feedback loop that includes the filters.

4 Likes

Yes this. The filter drives it mad.

I used it here in the bass sound. Actually I use it a lot. Gives the A4 it’s own life somehow :grinning:

8 Likes

I’ve been playing around with that on an MS-20 recently; now I need to combine it with the feedback on the A4, and to get some cross-modulation going.

1 Like

I had, at the time this thread was created, and couldn’t make sense out of it.
Maybe I should try again now indeed :smile:

Thx folks !

1 Like
7 Likes

Yes. Just be careful with your speakers… and ears. It can get very loud quite quickly

1 Like