Open Battle #03: ”Collabed”

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
LOVE THIS!!!

Hankering for the same feeling!

1 Like

I’d be down for this for anyone looking for a partner. May take a bit of discussion as to how to best get it done logistic wise given my general limited computer use. I am willing to give it a try!

3 Likes

If I may: I have done collabs with strangers over Internet 4 times, and it always ended the same, however different the other was: we gathered ideas, and the first with ideas they would find ok would throw the stems to the other, that would crush them to the unrecognizable and assemble them to their own stems, and so on until coherence emerge.

I have found this the most effective, you may of may not follow this workflow, but I just wanted to share my own little experience on this.

7 Likes

This is very good advice! I feel the point in general is to get going right away. Talk is cheap. :smiley:

Even a ”shitty” idea gets the ball rolling.

3 Likes

Anyone in a mood for creating a summer-time Digitone only liveset?
… ambient, dub, tribal, etno, minimal …

I set up a few constraints:

• Digitone only as I really like it to be simple and portable
  • MIDI loopback to add extra modulations and performance control
  • 125 BPM and around
  • One pattern per song and one transition pattern

Collaborator is welcome to the project.
Sysex exchange.
Perform live the full set and record either at a party or some inspirational environment.

2 Likes

Collab with @qlamerand engaged. :wink:

4 Likes

looking for someone to collaborate with
mostly hardware for me, i wouldn’t mind having a short video in there too
genre: don’t know? :smiley:

2 Likes

@Eaves @ylva what about a collaboration between the two of you?
I really dig your personal styles, and would love to see what you guys come up with ^^

6 Likes

Talk about a dream combo! Yes please! :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

If anyone’s down for a small collab, MP me !

By “small collab” I mean some “I worked all day music” : 2,3 groovy patterns, stupid but vibin bassline, few knobs turn above dat and voilà.

3 Likes

how are people collaborating so far — passing stems back and forth or whole projects, etc.? are people using the forum for communication or other means?

2 Likes

Sending tapes. :pl:

4 Likes

The collab that has gotten further at this point has been communicating via email and sending the Logic project (and demos of ideas) back and forth. Don’t know if that’s the most efficient way but as it now appears the involvement between my collaborator and I is gonna be split roughly 50/50, so we’re taking turns pushing the project onwards.

Many, many ways to go about it and would be REALLY interesting to know how others have done it! Also eye-opening as a kind of behind the scenes look at someone else’s workflow.

1 Like

With @qlamerand we planned to send sysex, via mp. I have to send one today!

Digitone keys < > Digitone (sequences)
AR < > DT (for samples)

The DN/DK can sequence AR/DT

2 Likes

nice! i’m interested to hear about what works (and doesn’t) for people during this project. it could be an ongoing thing after we work out some productive patterns.

2 Likes

For me, while I’ve had people contribute to my songs (and me theirs) before going back 20 years of being in bands etc., this one with @blakewalt (whose tracks I’ve absolutely loved and was beyond thrilled to do a collab with) probably comes closest to writing and producing a song together.

I expect the song to end up being good but I can already say the process in itself has been both useful and fun to go through.

5 Likes

I like where it’s going so far. Let’s finish this one and if we’re not happy with the end result, we can always try something else. We have one month after all!

But I just like to sing so… I’ll let you do all the hardwork :sweat_smile: Thank you for inviting me in your musical world (especially since you’re a pretty good damn singer yourself and don’t need anything from me haha)

2 Likes

I do like to sing but you’ve got a voice! So I definitely needed you for this track and also wanted to have this back and forth as regards song structure and arrangement - not a whole lot of that with me, myself and I despite tracks sometimes going through multiple shapes and forms before getting finished or binned.

1 Like

So who’s still looking for someone to collaborate with?

@cema
@the_PMO (Maybe up for another collab, as indicated below)
@guga

You guys found someone yet? (Sorry if I missed someone who was looking for a collaborator.)

(Should add I’m already involved in two collabs and not sure if I have time for more. It’d also be against the so-called rules I wrote myself. :grinning:)

2 Likes

I see 5 collabs in that order. :wink:
Or a randomization? (I didn’t find page+yes)

3 Likes