OP-1 field

it’s plausible they don’t even know. “Class compliant” seems to be a broad term these days.

I tried this. I created a 20 second stereo 24-bit, 44.1KHz aif in Ableton, and put it in the drum sampler’s User folder. Also, a 12 sec version for the synth sampler.

I then loaded it and sampled into that patch, reconnected to my computer, and check the patch. 16-bit, unfortunately.

1 Like

Would be nice if TE were more upfront with the specs.

2 Likes

Just reading all this. I’d just assumed it was 48k 24bit.

Yeah it’s kind of weird that they go all “ Stereo 32-bit” and then actually don’t explain where and how it actually is Stereo and 32-bit…

I just noticed that when you edit a synth or drum preset, it gets an asterisk after its name when you press the speech bubble/help button.

Handy.

that’s cool indeed.

Anyone know if the input/outputs of the OP-1 field are balanced or unbalanced?

My guess is that they’re almost certainly unbalanced, as they’re also stereo.

1 Like

The tapes are 32-bit PCM stereo .wav files.

2 Likes

So whatever I record into the Field is 32 bits? That’s not bad at all.

I wonder whether the I/O is also 32 bits?

Regardless of the tech specs, the sound quality is vastly superior to the original. When recording high quality stereo audio to tape on Field, from an external device, is it indistinguishable. Whereas OP-1 is a fun and funky low resolution capture. Very happy with Field. I’d far rather stack effects and get creative resampling through drive onto other tape styles to make it grungy when needed, than to not have the option or pristine clarity Field affords.

2 Likes

I’m still a bit curious about this one, though I fail to see how it would bring something to my rig that I can’t already do with the blackbox, one way or another.

There’s that magic that hides behind the workflow, though, and just the way stuff is implemented, and how you work the kit … one won’t know until one tries it.

It’s out of stock everywhere, fortunately, and even TE seem to have a long line of delivery, so just the fact that I can’t get one, blocks me from even trying.

1 Like

TE websites says that it ships within 30 days but I got mine in just 2 weeks after ordering (3 weeks ago in Canada).

1 Like

Thanks. I’m in Sweden. That should count for a few days, at least.

But I know how this’ll go. I get one. Like it for some time. Return it, realising I’m set already with what I got.

Except, if I’d felt like that a few years ago, I never would’ve explored the blackbox or the Chase Bliss stuff. So you never know when that piece of legendary kit might appear that just changes things.

I had an OG OP-1 for awhile, but a primary reason I sold it was because of the mono tracks and about average quality in recording into it. I was primarily going to use the tape feature, but I never appreciated that lo-fi vibe people kept talking about. I thought it sounded cheap, not charming. The Field seems to have corrected this.

2 Likes

What part of the OP-1 workflow is it that you find tantalizing?

It seems like you have found a workflow that really works for you, so I’m wondering what is it you want to explore further with the OP-1?

There’s this thing we call GAS.

2 Likes

I won’t need anything else after I get these next few things… :grin:

1 Like

It depends if the Field lets you do something you otherwise cannot. For me it gives me a portable take-on-the-train all in one production device that I can also use at home in the house with an acoustic piano or nord grand, and lets me stay in a musical frame of mind rather than a computer frame of mind if that makes sense.

5 Likes

That would be exactly what I want. Exactly.