OP-1 field

Nice! Do you just drop the loop in the drum sampler and let the OP-1 slice it, or do you slice it manually?

They advertise the that ā€œPRO QUALITY 32-BIT AUDIO THROUGHOUT THE SIGNAL CHAINā€

This could mean that if you sample using the Line in or mic you get better quality than if you just import over USB

??

I have no idea

I had to send mine back before I got to test it fully

The battery was loose, several of the keys behaved erratically and the orange knob was wonky

1 Like

wow that sucks; battery loose? how did you notice that? and wonky keys, very clearly? or minimal wobble?

Loose battery seems a common defect on the OP-1 forums and the Reddit page so far

Youā€™ll find news of poor build quality and other cases there too

The loose battery seems to be not glued down properly - an easy fix maybe

Not so much the keys and the knobs though

Anyhow Iā€™m sending it back to the supplier (modularsquare.com)

Hoping to get a perfectly built unit or at least just repair the issues so they are not noticeable

Itā€™s a great device and sounds very good over the original - a well built unit should last many long years and still have good resale value

Overall itā€™s probably not worth ā‚¬2000 - but Iā€™m a sucker for nice things and a total idiot with my money :man_shrugging:

Edit: oh and a guy doing a demo on YouTube had all the same issues I had

2 Likes

I usually do it manually. But Iā€™ve done it so many times that I have a patch where the slices line up pretty well for this sort of thing.

2 Likes

Does anyone use a microphone or can recommend a small cheap mic to use with the field?

Do people tend to use microphones to sample into it or is the onboard mic good enough to do some decent on the spot recordings?

Iā€™m not planning on recording anything extensive or fancy, just random stuff in general.

onboard mic sounds good

1 Like

With the original I used a Roland R-07 as a straight-through mic. I imagine it sounds even better with the stereo tape. It might even work via usb.

Edit: it totally does work as a stereo USB mic.

Iā€™m bummed, Iā€™m using headphones on the op1f, itā€™s only coming through the right headphone. Tried two different pairs. It wasnā€™t doing this 2 days ago. Maybe I have to send it back?

Edit: did a factory reset and it works fine now, so I mustā€™ve done something with the settings before? Hmmmm, probably something simple I overlooked.

2 Likes

phew!

I think I added 24 bit samples into it via Field Kit usb (Mac) a couple days ago. They played just fine (synth sampler). Will double check the files to confirm.

1 Like

I wonder if they get converted to 16 on import? Or if maybe 16-bit is just a legacy thing from the OG.

I just tested. I imported a 24-bit 44.1 KHz drum chain into the Field via the FieldKit app.

I disconnected, made a few changes to the sample on the OP-1 (just changing sample in points on the keys), then reconnected to look at the sample.

It stays as 24 bit.

However, samples made on the unit itself are only 16-bit.

4 Likes

Iā€™m the last one to care how many bits, as long as it sounds good (which it does). However, what I found is that if you have a mono patch and sample into this patch (or drop a piece of tape into it), it will remain mono.
Did you try to sample new audio into the 24-bit patch you imported? I guess the new audio will also be 24-bit, but Iā€™m just guessing from my experience that mono was retained in my case mentioned before.

2 Likes

I will totally try that now.

The reason I care about bit depth is that 24 can take way more abuse than 16, kind of like tif vs jpeg (although not for precisely the same reasons).

I take my various OP tracks into Ableton for arrangement and so on, so more is better in general.

1 Like

I plugged in the OP-Z via usb c into the op1f.

They instantly synced up, and when Iā€™d hit play on the Z, the tape would start on the op1.

When Iā€™d hold record on the tape to arm the track and then hit play on the Z, it would start but in play mode and not record mode, which kind of ruined the whole sync aspect of it.

I wish TE would do a dedicated tutorial on using the two together.

2 Likes

I was a little bummed as I noticed the same record behavior when syncā€™d to PE Play. Hope thereā€™s a easy workaround or TE makes this a option

1 Like

Did you try setting clock in on the midi page? Not the BTLE midi section, but the plain midi page?

Sample rate is the frequency / pitch resolution, bitrate is the volume depth, the number of steps between silence and clipping. Both are required to resolve the audio. But yes youā€™re absolutely correct it makes a massive difference. You can compare to images as an example - a 16 bit image has 65536 colours available, 24 but has 16.78 million. Just a small difference :slight_smile:

1 Like

No but Iā€™ll try that next!