One or many reverbs?

The lower end Lexicons are pretty affordable. You should be able to get a MPX-100 or MPX-200 which includes multifx and midi sync, and a Quadraverb for $200USD combined.

Quadraverb works well with industrial textures.

For noisier, fuzzier reverb tones thereā€™s the Death By Audio Reverberation Machine or the Collision Devices Black Hole Symmetry (which Iā€™ve just pre-ordered). Both are mono but that doesnā€™t bother me. My plan is to use the Quadraverb on the aux send and the Black Hole Symmetry as an insert effect on some FM synths. It should fulfill all my industrial needs for the foreseeable as far as reverb goes.

2 Likes

In fact I was after the BAM because is a reverb with a certain character, but that Quadraverb surely is temptingā€¦ :yum:

1 Like

If you do plump for the Quadraverb, try to get a Quadraverb plus. They look exactly the same, but theyā€™ve got a better chip in them which gives you a ring mod and a few other goodies extra over the OG Quadraverb.

3 Likes

Eheheh man, seems like you know how to get my attention :grin:

1 Like

I like to have a variety of ā€œcharacterā€ or textural reverb sounds, and have several faves on sends ready to go at any time. Some of them have pedal chains in front to them, that I switch on/off to add modulation, delay, bit reduction etc going into the reverbs.

Currently:

• Midiverb II x2 (alltime fave for Bloom presets)
  • Boss RV-5 (Modulate setting, return on input channels for feedback loop to lengthen)
  • Eventide H9 (Blackhole, dedicated to A4)
  • Korg NTS-1 (amazing especially Submarine, shame you canā€™t save your fx patchesā€¦ dedicated to SP-16)
  • EHX Cathedral (run the Wavestation thru it usually)
3 Likes

One thatā€™s maybe worth checking out - coming out of leftfield here - is the new JHS 3 Series Reverb pedal. Itā€™s Ā£99 / $99, and yes, itā€™s mono, but it has a pretty unusual character that I reckon could be used quite creatively. Apparently the algorithm they settled on was a glitch, itā€™s not what they intended but they kept it because they liked the sound.

I might try and knock a synth / drum machine demo out if I can find time.

2 Likes

You can also buy the EEPROM chip for peanuts online and upgrade your mk1 unit yourself, itā€™s an easy clip-on installation. Donā€™t forget to make sure you get an original Alesis PSU with your unit as theyā€™re a bit unusual and are the only ones that will work.

1 Like

Guys what is the best version of the Quadraverb?
Iā€™ve found a GT at a ridiculously low priceā€¦

Get it, itā€™s the same as the OG, but itā€™s got a load of shitty distortions and overdrives on it.

1 Like

Sounds lovely! :yum:

1 Like

I did!

8 Likes

Thatā€™s one gnarly sounding reverb, great deal for that price.

1 Like

It does make the internal reverb on the M:C sound very polite.

I see a lot of lot of low cost quadraverb 2 and midiverb 2, and microverb 3.

What would you say is a good price for Quadra?

I found one Quadraverb GT for 50ā‚¬ :rofl:
But the seller was been contacted already. Heā€™ll keep me in touch if something goes wrongā€¦

1 Like

Just hypothetical (for now), because Iā€™m enjoying this thread (thanks @Alessiaccio)

A) If it can glue/bring together a song by running multiple of the tracks/instruments through the same reverb;
B) And if it might be ideal to have at least to different reverb settings for short (drums) and other elements that can benefit from longer reverb decay times, or for higher and lower frequencies;
C) Would it be beneficial to have two of the same reverbs?

Do people often use that? It seems its quite understrandable that every time you buy a reverb youā€™re lusting for a new one. But is it also a common practice for people to have multiple of the same/similar reverbs?

Especcially with prices of these Quadra/Midiverbs, it wouldnā€™t be unrealistic to get two. But I donā€™t know if that is worth while! Curious what more seasoned people here think!

1 Like

IIRC Quadraverbs usually go for 80-100ā‚¬ around here.

2 Likes

Totally depends on which one.

An OG Quadraverb can be got for less than Ā£100, the GT the same or less. A Quad plus will usually fetch a few quid more (assuming the seller even knows itā€™s a plus) and Quad 2 onwards tend to go for a fair bit more, but lack a lot of the grit and character that makes the Quadraverb appealing to a lot of people.
The original Midiverb is getting pretty pricey these days, with the midiverb 2 not far behind, though both can still be got for around Ā£100 if youā€™re willing to wait around. Both are very characterful little preset units, the bloom setting on the midis is very good.

3 Likes

Damn. Instantly lusting for one of those now.

1 Like