One or many reverbs?

Hi!
I have a small dawless setup with Preenfm2, 0-coast, Blofeld, an A&H Zed-6fx as a mixer and a Digitakt to hub the things up on the way.
I need some reverb. How many units should I buy? One to rule them all or one per channel?
Thanks for your help!!

1 Like

Do you usually have a reverb (or two) on (a) return channel(s) or do you prefer different types of reverb as insert effects?

Seems that your mixer does not have an aux send, so that would rule one reverb as send fx out.

Normally I have to use the reverb on board on the mixer but it’s obviously a subpar option. So it seems that I have to add an external effect unit per channel (or buy another mixer :grin: )

A decent reverb is always a good thing IMO, but a mixer with aux sends is a blessing.

You could also check the discussion about patch bays.

6 Likes

Thanks man :wink:

Get a mixer with aux sends, get a Quadraverb, thank me later.

Seriously though, I’m using a Quadraverb as my main send effect, then I can add individual reverbs on each instrument as necessary, either the onboard ones in the case of DT, DN etc or pedals.
For me, the Quadraverb is the ultimate bread and butter reverb unit, it sounds a bit crunchy, but it’s the character that makes it sound so good to me. It doesn’t do all the bullshit shimmery in your face stuff that the modern pedals do but you can make some pretty crazy effects with it if that’s your thing and you’re willing to put in the effort programming it.

3 Likes

Ahahah thanks for the tips!

Blue Sky is a very good and affordable reverb.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s great for sure! I was thinkin about a OTO Bam also…

I’d also say get a mixer with at least one (better two) aux sends and returns. There are several pretty decent mixers on the market which also go for cheap bucks second hand.

Much better to invest in one decent reverb than using several cheapo ones in your mix.
Having one reverb as send effect will also create a nice sense of coherence in your mix.

4 Likes

I’m taking notes :wink:

This is very true.

Buuuuuuuuuuuuut, layering reverbs can be a lot of fun and can even sound good, if you’re careful.

1 Like

Popular at the moment :
Zoom Multi Stomp MS-70 CDR (multi effects)
tc electronic M100 (multi effects)
Empress Effects Echosystem (delay)
Eventide H9 Max Harmonizer (multi effects)
Strymon Nightsky Reverb (reverb)
Strymon Big Sky (reverb)
Dreadbox Hypnosis (Chorus, delay, plate)
Erica Synths Fusionbox (flanger, chorus, ensemble et delay)

6 Likes

As now the only compact mixers I’m able to find with aux send are the Mackie 802 VLZ4 and the Soundcraft Notepad-8fx!

I’d go for the usual suspects (Mackie 1202 VLZ4 (older VLZ models are ok if you buy used, just keep in mind you’re not recording classical music^^), Behringer Xenyx Q1204 USB, Behringer Xenyx X1204 USB, Xenyx QX1204 USB, Xenyx X1222 USB, Yamaha MG12 - all with two aux sends - Soundcraft Signature 10 - three aux sends (but no dedicated return channels so you’d have to sacrifice stereo channels - or similar mixer.

1 Like

Get the Mackie, it’s way more flexible

2 Likes

Yeah of course. There’s also the popular technique where you use two or three different reverbs (small room or plate, room and hall) that are then used to create different layers of depth while still giving a sense of coherence and “glue” throughout the mix.

For a smallish dawless setup, I’d always go for one dedicated, flexible send reverb first (and a delay). More can still come later.

2 Likes

Absolutely not one by channel. 2-3 reverb is very great to me as an Effect BUS (send-return) … i use 2 different reverb with short time to open up the sound in the stereo field and 1 for Medium-Long sFX… Then it’s really depend on each tracks

To get 3 to 5 aux is comfortable to me.

(could be 3 reverbs, 1 delay, 1 dynamic)

ps: depend also if there’s voices, acoustics drums and percussions, in my setup 3-5 aux is perfect

1 Like

Manage to find a used Mackie 802 VLZ4 :grin:
1202 VLZ4 seems too much atm

1 Like

I’m curious to ask then: So it’s not a big problem that you can’t tweak the reverb specifically per track/instrument then? For example when I still used the OT as drum machine, I loved being able to have a dedicated reverb for my kicks, with lóts of highcut; whilst my snares and hats also all used their own types of high and low cuts of their reverbs. With one send-fx reverb for multiple channels/tracks, how would you set it up? Just some good lowcut against mud, and a líttle highcut against the highest frequency harshness?