One or many reverbs?

@lesstalkmoredisco
Yeah 2 FX + comp at the very least on the mixer + embedded effects on synth/machines
(to me)

1 Like

Ofc course Iā€™d prefer to have more effects available and even with only one send reverb I could still use insert effects on all my channels.

If I had to choose, though, then Iā€™d go for one flexible reverb first. No question.
And yes, Iā€™d try to tweak it in a way which works for the mix, but also provides what I want for my synths/drums. Sure, pretty much a tradeoff situationā€¦though better than no reverb at all^^

OP said heā€™ll get a Digitakt which has its own set of fx. Even his Blofeld has some (apparently not so good fx).

2 Likes

On the Rytm I was so much missing that low rumble gabber kick reverb that I achieved on the OT with dedicated reverb, that I now use one OT input for the Rytms dedicated kick-output; and just have a full wet reverb on one OT thru track :joy: Iā€™m short on OT inputs so I might sacrifice it; but itā€™s one way to keep the dedicated reverb on something that really asks for specific reverb frequencies

1 Like

Oto BAM is pretty solid choice, though I did not like BIM (their delay)

4 Likes

Great to learn; had never really considered to use both methods alongside eachother; until now I used inserts OR send/return. Interesting to learn, thanks. For send return reverb that you use for multiple machines/tracks, you run it full wet I guess?

1 Like

Sure, send effects are always 100% wet. :slight_smile:

1 Like

What kind of music do you make OP? For example If Iā€™d be buying on any budget, for my darker techno oriented sound an Eventide Space/Blackhole would be my first try I think.

I love my BAM especcially on hats/snares/claps. Empress Reverb is beautiful, more clean and lush, like that most on melodic parts. I guess more towards the sound of Bluesky/Bigsky. But as youā€™ve read Iā€™m also still a rookie in this; Iā€™d listen to the others first if I were you;)

2 Likes

I like experimental and strange stuff, but Iā€™m not an ambient freak. Iā€™m much more into industrial and noise :wink:

2 Likes

Yeah, Quadraverb is amazing for BOC-ish pad sounds and similar stuff. No midi clock sync or tap tempo for the delays, but I simply treat the delays as one layer in a multi-layered reverb engine thingie. Midi control is easy to setup on the Quadraverb, too! Throw OT or DT lfos at itā€¦ :blush: :elot: :heart:

3 Likes

I have reverbs for reasonsā€¦

1.Aux 1ā€¦Lexicon mxr200 for short tail / drum room, close reflections and room soundā€¦
2.Aux 2ā€¦Strymon big sky for long angelic / high frequency other worldly ambience.
3.Sub group 1ā€¦ TC electronic HOF 2 for dark downward shimmer. Long tail but a darker tone than the Big Sky. Also for string and pads that sit distant in the mixā€¦

I think 2 seperate algorithms are needed for a good mix, one short drum room type algorithm that is upfront and present in the mix, and one distant, spacey, ambient reverb that is spread wide with stereo seperation and sits far back in the mix with a decent tailā€¦

It doesnt need to be 2 units, there are reverbs that give you access to 2 seperate fx chainsā€¦but character compounds quickly with audio so its good to mix it upā€¦

2 Likes

put your speakers in to a cave and you will dont even need any

2 Likes

Digitakt have built in reverb, so for ā€œdrumsā€ Iā€™ll use that. Not exceptional but surely usable. For the rest a dedicated unit can do the trick. Nothing to write home about, but thatā€™s ok I think :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Reverb and Delay on DT are actually pretty good (imho).
If you get a reverb with midi cc control, you could use Digitaktā€™s lfos or p-lock midi cc to control your reverb; for instance, you could lower the decay time or increase pre delay, and/or filter the reverb down a bit everytime the kick hits. You can also increase the ā€˜precenseā€™ of the reverb when applicable (e.g. during breaks, transitions, intro/outro etc.).

Eventide Space and H9 (probaply Blackhole as well) respond very well to midi control. No glitching or artifacts when you automate parameters.

6 Likes

You surely know a thing or two about this stuff :wink:
Thanks man!

1 Like

absolutely decent pedal, especially for a live rig.

would highly recommend, probably several, because there are 137 effects inside (as for 2.10 firmware), and even moar can be loaded with hack, and with up to 6 effects in chain, it does a lot of things besides the reverb job.

taking into account its stereo input, this is no-brainer for the price.

5 Likes

Iā€™ve got a Mackie 802 VLZ4 with a Boss DD-7 and TC Hall of Fame 02 on the sends, which works great to create a nice bed for synths to sit in. I am however tempted to get a separate shorter verb for percussion channels :slight_smile:

If you want to try out Blackhole before buying the pedal, you can download a 30-day trial of the plugin. Then you can judge it for yourself :wink:

4 Likes

I have an OTO bam that I use as a send but would love to eventually place that directly after my synth and not use it as a send.

I find thereā€™s a pretty big difference in sound when running a synth directly into a pedal/fx unit vs using an aux.

Rn I have the bam and a chase bliss mood as my two aux sends with a sub group going to a oto boum.

But ideally I would like to have my own reverb for my synth and even isolated drum sounds.

1 Like

Also maybe this is a good time for someone to put us on which mixers have more than the traditional 2-3 aux sends. Or maybe Iā€™m just asking for too much

Quadraverb is primarily a color box/sound design unit and then a reverb. It will definitely add a certain sound to your recordings, which youā€™ll either love or hate. Itā€™s also noisy and requires careful gain staging and noise gates. I personally think itā€™s one of the biggest bang-for-buck deals out there, but I tend to run more recent reverbs and IRā€™s for actual reverby gluey duties. With that said, the QV really KICKS ASS with the Digitakt! Strips that sorta bland & modern digital sheen right off and adds wonderful punch & grit.

If youā€™re into spring reverbs youā€™ll love the vermona VSR, or DSR if you really need a stereo aux unit and have moolah to spare. Modern pedals/units by Eventide or Strymon are all over YouTube to help decide whether you dig the sound, but keep in mind youā€™ll sound like those YouTube videos. I hear a lot of good things about EHX Cathedral which runs a bit cheaper. Go back in time a bit on the 2nd hand market and there are loads of gems to discover.

2 Likes