One device to rule them all?

Totally forgot about the 828es tho! That is another awesome option. Its got it all unless you actually need 8 mic pre’s.

The biggest thing with MOTU is the AD/DA. Its really top notch. You elevate that portion of your studio and everything else makes more sense.

Right now I have a 16A AVB switched to the monitor 8 and 24ao. 16A is USB to my Mac and is used as a mixer for my line in stuff. 24ao is my line outs from DAW or anything else that is hooked up on the MOTU’s. Then my monitor 8 grabs whatever different mixes/headphone mixes I have going and need to monitor and sends it to 1 of 2 monitor mixes and/or 1-6 headphone mixes.

2 Likes

This looks like a great option indeed. I will most definitely not going to need more than 2 mic / instr inputs really, so this is more than enough for me. I will check with the manufacturer the output details with regards to headphones. Cheers.

1 Like

May be helpful

2 Likes

I have the dt990 250ohm open ear monitors too and they sound great through the MOTU headphone amps. They are what I use for everything pretty much.

I can confirm 100% that they are perfect on the monitor 8, and I assume on the 828es since its from the same line of AVB units they carry there is no difference, but probs still check to make sure!

I know the AVB connectivity isn’t too important at the moment for you case, but down that line when/if you decide to grow your studio, having the AVB already available will be really nice and I think that its just another added bonus feature thats there for you when you need it!

Line 6 helix floor unit.

You have effects, amps/cabs and IR loader if needed, but also great signal routing inside the box with up to 4 paths and you have 4 effect send/returns and also aux and headphones etc… And it has a computer app, and it’s a great audio interface too and much more!

I use it as a center piece to all my stuff.

Tascam 12, various Zooms and the SSL SiX and
Big SiX should all be on your radar too.

I’ve had good results with my MOTUs - an 828mk2 and now an M4, but you may learn a lot in the threads I linked above.

The Tascam 12 or a similar < $1k option is a good place to start. Those are solid workhorses, and you will learn their limitations over time while you save for something nicer - if you even need to upgrade. If money is no object, go straight to the SSL or RME. But as a beginner, you may not appreciate what you have. I’m not sure I would, and I’ve been doing this casually for over 20 years.

2 Likes

Apparently the latency is a big issue on the helix. If thats the case :grimacing:

I do know that on the helix the hi impedance head phones will be fine. Its basically a really nice guitar effects pedal that is having a go at being a mixer/audio interface too. That said its primarily designed for hi-z stuff and I know that the headphone amp is pretty hot on that as it is meant to drive hi impedance signals to stage levels.

I did dig a little on the ad/da conversion on the helix and some say its pretty decent, others disagree, I’ve never heard it so I dont know, but everyone agreed that any of the UA interfaces are much better.

I suppose if all you were doing is guitar stuff it could fit the need. The price on the helix is pretty cringe tho. For $1500 there are A LOT of really good interfaces!

1 Like

I’ve never had any issues with helix and i’ve had it as the center piece of my stuff since 2016. I’ve played many guitars, bass, keyboard and now elektron stuff through it and no issues for me. The effects sound great on any instrument.

To me it makes a great all in one box. For the price and what it does and what you get, I think it’s totally worth it.

This would make great sense if guitar was at the center of the things I do. Might be very well at some point in the future, but just not right now. Having said that, it’s such a sexy gear, made its way into my bookmarks for sure… Cheers.

To me it looks like you will def need more than two inputs, given your digitakt is stereo out + your OP1, your guitar and your pocket operator add up to more than 2 line inputs :slight_smile:

I see from your diagram that you are using the DT and your OP1 via USB and that’s fine of course, but bear in mind that you will add a lot of latency if you employ the audio interface, DT and OP1 as separate audio interfaces in your DAW (acheivable via aggregate devices in OSX).

It’s frustrating to pay good money for good conversion only to then be stuck with not enough inputs/outputs as setup needs change or grow.

The MOTU Ultralite Mk5 is a good device with an incredible amount of ins and outs for the form factor. Alternatively anything RME, UAD, Apogee or even Audient will give you quality for your money. In that price range (under 2k), UAD has the best conversion to my ears, though RME and MOTU give you the best standalone feature set when not tethered to and controlled through a computer.

You won’t require a separate DAC for your headphones with any of these brands, unless there’s a DAC with a particular sound signature that you value / enjoy / crave specifically. But in terms of power, they will all have enough to drive 250ohm headphones no problem.

I had this particular model and it was an instant return. Very noisy. Maybe not so much when one of the channels was up, but 8 of them…noisy as hell.

Were you using Mac or Windows mate?

Windows, 7 if I remember correctly. Maybe with MacOS it’s different.

1 Like

Sorry to hear that, no worries here on Windows 10, the channels are perfectly functional whether with the synths, the pc or even the vinyl turntable, in the direction table to PC or PC to table. Complete multi-track recordings or just two or three tracks. And all the channels are full.

1 Like

I had the 24 channel version in our podcasting studio years ago. It’s a great value-for-money mixer with the benefit of providing digital recording of all tracks separately via USB, which is rather uncommon. Plus personally I rather like Soundcraft’s preamps on this one. Def a good recommendation at that price point.

If OP can afford up to 2k and cares about the highest quality sound for his budget, I’d recommend a rack unit though. Something like the UAD Apollo 6x or maybe a RME UFX 2/+. They are pricey, no doubt, but the conversion on those devices is just so clear and dynamic, totally worth it in my opinion. :slight_smile:

1 Like

:star_struck:

1 Like

No. This is what a lot of folk are trying to avoid.

1 Like

Depending on the budget, and application (if stereo sources are important to you), I would look at the Allen & Heath Xone 96. It works great as an audio interface, you get REALLY flexible routing, stereo channels with great sounding EQ, TWO routable filters with a crunch/OD (think Analog Heat).
2 independent USB Class Compliant inputs too! :partying_face:

It’s a beast.

1 Like

lol, one can never have enough channels, right?! :joy:

I got my UAD Apollo 8 for my home studio thinking “I’ll never need that many inputs & outputs but ok” …a few years later I got eight additional inputs via ADAT…and a few years later I added 30 channels via mixers (16c + 14c mixers) to the setup…it’s a brutal hobby :joy::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

It’s a crazy thing, I really should have taken the 24 channel…
Even if I would probably have the same problem soon. :woozy_face:
I would like a 16-track stereo because I’m starting to use the Elektron “Input” and I only have 6… well, 4 are available. :upside_down_face:

1 Like