One device to rule them all?

Hi there folks!

With the most recent purchase of a Digitakt (I love it already!) and a potential future purchase of a Syntakt, I’m now in the pursuit of an all-in-one (single) device that can act as an audio interface for recording purposes, pre to switch between various sources, and a headphone amp / dac basically something that allows me connect all these inputs and easily switch between them and outputs (speakers vs headphones) without having to change / swap cables.

I’m a total newbie when it comes to cabling / routing, did quite bit of a research, nicely overwhelmed myself with all the technicalities and couldn’t find any such device. :slight_smile: At this point, I’m willing to let go of the topping DAC and amp combo and invest in something that is Mel e future proof. Budget is under 2000.

Here is the setup I currently have without the audio interface.

At this point, my guess is that I’d have to have at least 2 devices which is fine as none of the audio interface & pre combos I’ve come across seems to be strong enough to drive power hungry headphones.

It might be very well possible that I’m totally on a wrong path here, so please shout out if that seem to be the case.

Can you guys please help a confused fellow here?

Many thanks!

1 Like

Hello, DancingShaman, you can use DT as audio interface, and record all tracks in daw individually with overbridge.

4 Likes

You have quite a few options for doing what you wrote down:

• as @dmitryleeo said, you can use the DT (and also ST?) as audio interfaces for their own tracks using just a usb cable
  • You could get an audio interface with several (8 or more) inputs to route all your sources into. This way, you can use your daw to mix/select sources.
  • You could get a patchbay and use it to add more selectable inputs to your 2 channel interface.
  • You could get a simple mixer and route the main outs to your monitors, and the sends to your interface. This has even more options than using a patchbay, especially if you want to be able to work without a computer.

Good luck doing some research!

3 Likes

A modern mixing desk / audio interface like that.

6 Likes

Thanks for your repose mate, appreciate all the inputs. I came across the second scenario you mentioned. I suppose in this case, I’d still need the headphone amp? Unless you have an interface in mind that can drive high impedance headphones?

Cheers.

2 Likes

The 8M AVB audio interface by MOTU would pretty much solve all your problems. Its an audio interface, has 8x line in/mic press (you can use this as a mixer as well) and 8x line outs (can send tracks from daw or anything else connected to the unit) and is AVB network capable, meaning that in the future if you want to expand, you can daisy chain multiple AVB devices together using a single network.

The headphone amp EASILY drives your dt990s. I have the same headphones and the non mic pre version of the 8m and they sounds wonderful.

The best and biggest value to you tho, and what would really make this a massive upgrade is the AD/DA conversion on this line of MOTU interfaces. MOTU AD/DA is widely considered one of the best out there. AD/DA is a huge bottle neck in most systems and often overlooked, but imo makes a major difference. Honestly I would rather a less featured interface with MOTU AD/DA over a lesser but more feature rich unit, but since it seems your budget fits I say the 8m is one you should look at.

2 Likes

and if you know, that you dont want to belong 16 channels, you can go with the MOTU Ultralite mk5, that’s half the price of the 8M. 8 Line in (Two of that can be mic), 10 Line out, SPDIF in/out and a pair of ADAT for additional 8 Channels, if you want to expand. Has a great mixer (with very flexible routing) and the most modern Mixer-Software on board, of all the MOTUs. Works standalone, but needs Tablet or Computer to change stuff in the mixer.

MOTU 828ES adds another ADAT on top, Mixer is also useable in any browser, but a bit more pricey at 2/3 of the 8M price.

2 Likes

Totally forgot about the 828es tho! That is another awesome option. Its got it all unless you actually need 8 mic pre’s.

The biggest thing with MOTU is the AD/DA. Its really top notch. You elevate that portion of your studio and everything else makes more sense.

Right now I have a 16A AVB switched to the monitor 8 and 24ao. 16A is USB to my Mac and is used as a mixer for my line in stuff. 24ao is my line outs from DAW or anything else that is hooked up on the MOTU’s. Then my monitor 8 grabs whatever different mixes/headphone mixes I have going and need to monitor and sends it to 1 of 2 monitor mixes and/or 1-6 headphone mixes.

2 Likes

This looks like a great option indeed. I will most definitely not going to need more than 2 mic / instr inputs really, so this is more than enough for me. I will check with the manufacturer the output details with regards to headphones. Cheers.

1 Like

May be helpful

2 Likes

I have the dt990 250ohm open ear monitors too and they sound great through the MOTU headphone amps. They are what I use for everything pretty much.

I can confirm 100% that they are perfect on the monitor 8, and I assume on the 828es since its from the same line of AVB units they carry there is no difference, but probs still check to make sure!

I know the AVB connectivity isn’t too important at the moment for you case, but down that line when/if you decide to grow your studio, having the AVB already available will be really nice and I think that its just another added bonus feature thats there for you when you need it!

Line 6 helix floor unit.

You have effects, amps/cabs and IR loader if needed, but also great signal routing inside the box with up to 4 paths and you have 4 effect send/returns and also aux and headphones etc… And it has a computer app, and it’s a great audio interface too and much more!

I use it as a center piece to all my stuff.

Tascam 12, various Zooms and the SSL SiX and
Big SiX should all be on your radar too.

I’ve had good results with my MOTUs - an 828mk2 and now an M4, but you may learn a lot in the threads I linked above.

The Tascam 12 or a similar < $1k option is a good place to start. Those are solid workhorses, and you will learn their limitations over time while you save for something nicer - if you even need to upgrade. If money is no object, go straight to the SSL or RME. But as a beginner, you may not appreciate what you have. I’m not sure I would, and I’ve been doing this casually for over 20 years.

2 Likes

Apparently the latency is a big issue on the helix. If thats the case :grimacing:

I do know that on the helix the hi impedance head phones will be fine. Its basically a really nice guitar effects pedal that is having a go at being a mixer/audio interface too. That said its primarily designed for hi-z stuff and I know that the headphone amp is pretty hot on that as it is meant to drive hi impedance signals to stage levels.

I did dig a little on the ad/da conversion on the helix and some say its pretty decent, others disagree, I’ve never heard it so I dont know, but everyone agreed that any of the UA interfaces are much better.

I suppose if all you were doing is guitar stuff it could fit the need. The price on the helix is pretty cringe tho. For $1500 there are A LOT of really good interfaces!

1 Like

I’ve never had any issues with helix and i’ve had it as the center piece of my stuff since 2016. I’ve played many guitars, bass, keyboard and now elektron stuff through it and no issues for me. The effects sound great on any instrument.

To me it makes a great all in one box. For the price and what it does and what you get, I think it’s totally worth it.

This would make great sense if guitar was at the center of the things I do. Might be very well at some point in the future, but just not right now. Having said that, it’s such a sexy gear, made its way into my bookmarks for sure… Cheers.

To me it looks like you will def need more than two inputs, given your digitakt is stereo out + your OP1, your guitar and your pocket operator add up to more than 2 line inputs :slight_smile:

I see from your diagram that you are using the DT and your OP1 via USB and that’s fine of course, but bear in mind that you will add a lot of latency if you employ the audio interface, DT and OP1 as separate audio interfaces in your DAW (acheivable via aggregate devices in OSX).

It’s frustrating to pay good money for good conversion only to then be stuck with not enough inputs/outputs as setup needs change or grow.

The MOTU Ultralite Mk5 is a good device with an incredible amount of ins and outs for the form factor. Alternatively anything RME, UAD, Apogee or even Audient will give you quality for your money. In that price range (under 2k), UAD has the best conversion to my ears, though RME and MOTU give you the best standalone feature set when not tethered to and controlled through a computer.

You won’t require a separate DAC for your headphones with any of these brands, unless there’s a DAC with a particular sound signature that you value / enjoy / crave specifically. But in terms of power, they will all have enough to drive 250ohm headphones no problem.

I had this particular model and it was an instant return. Very noisy. Maybe not so much when one of the channels was up, but 8 of them…noisy as hell.

Were you using Mac or Windows mate?

Windows, 7 if I remember correctly. Maybe with MacOS it’s different.

1 Like