On the diving board of Syntakt

Hello everyone,

I posted here a few weeks back looking for recommendations on a groove box.

(You can skip this, but: about 6 months ago I got an OG Novation Circuit, had fun with it, but soon found it a little too simple. Sold it and upgraded to a Roland MC-101—which sounds amazing, but I find its workflow so prohibitive to actually making music that I rarely use it and am currently trying to sell it, too; probably should have gone for the 707 instead.)

After much video watching and product review reading, it seems like the Syntakt is the tool for me for what I want: a machine that has amazing sounds in box, where I can easily and intuitively start the makings of a track (drums, bass, melody, texture), which I can then import into Ableton to do the work of arranging and adding additional components / pads / samples / etc.

My question: having bought a Circuit, and regretting it, and now an MC-101, and also regretting it, I’m getting cold feet about the Syktakt because of its price. It’s basically as expensive as a new computer. To Sytakt users: do you feel any regrets about your purchase? I know I can obviously sell it, too, but with each resale I’ve lost a bit of money, so I’m trying to be more scrupulous.

Thanks.

Flipping the question for you.

Why do you think you will dislike the Syntakt ?
Why, most likely, will it fail to connect for you ?

If you loved everything about the 101 except the workflow, why isn’t the 707 the obvious choice?

Edit: I personally have zero regrets wrt the Syntakt, and for what you’re planning to do with it, it sounds like a great choice. Not an all-in-one production suite, but a great tool to create new ideas, sketches, half-finished tracks that you can perfect and turn into finished tracks in a DAW.

1 Like

Nobody than you can answer this. I like bananas. They are delicious. Perhaps you have other thoughts.

Good point — the reason I opted for the 101 was the price, I got it for like $350 on Reverb. If price were no issue at all, given on what I’ve heard, I would probably pair the 707 and an Elektron box.

1 Like

I’ve heard people complain about the lack of polyphony. I come from a guitar / piano background, so the idea of not having chords to play with feels like it could be limiting, though IIRC there’s a kind of bootleg chord mode you can use, right?

1 Like

No I like bananas too!

If you like bananas, get a Digitone!

5 Likes

Lol

2 Likes

I think the Syntakt is awesome, but I wouldn’t want it as my only box to make music with. I’d be very happy with it as my only Elektron box, but I would long for a better way to make complete tracks, polyphony, sample capabilities, etc.

I think Syntak + Ableton or Bitwig or something would be the most ideal situation, but yes, bananas are not for everyone.

2 Likes

The luckiest man is the one who bonds with his first instrument.

4 Likes

I guess my Fender Telecaster has been there all along!

2 Likes

So between expense and lack of native polyphony, ( yes there are ways around that, but why set yourself up for that ), sounds to me you’ve answered your own question.

What attracted you to the Syntakt ?, and what else has that, and is polyphonic and less expensive ?

Another good point! My short answer: I love the sounds I’ve heard it make, and from what I’ve seen the Elektron work flow is intuitive and, once you learn it, friendly to immediate composition. I admit to having first been more leaning toward a Digitone, but I suppose I enjoy the fact that the Syntakt has 12 tracks instead of 4, and would like drums as well as synthesizers. But tbh, if someone has used both and wanted to convince me to opt for the Digitone instead, I wouldn’t be opposed to hearing that argument.

I also came from Circuits to Elektrons. I have the Syntakt since two years and it’s still my favourite synth/groovebox, my appreciation was always high and it has grown even more :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Cannonball!!!

6 Likes

I have both the Syntakt and the Digitone. I bought the Syntakt first and added the Digitone recently. The Digitone adds the things that’s lacking on the Syntakt (polyphony, more powerful synth, extra effects). However, it doesn’t replace the Syntakt. If you can only get one box, the Syntakt is the clear choice. Can you get both, you have a “dream” combo.

2 Likes

Digitone USD 500
M:C USD 200

Digitone + M:C > Syntakt

1 Like

I suggest that you carefully read the section of the manual on the Chord machine, and listen to some videos demonstrating its use and what it sounds like. It could be just what you want or it could be frustrating as hell, but either way, you need to know. Your experience with guitar and piano will predispose you to polyphony, but there’s a fair amount you can do with a lot of monophonic tracks, even without labouriously building chords. You need to be open to working within those restrictions, rather than trying to make the machine do something it isn’t particularly good at.

3 Likes

Not true. This combination lacks the Syntakt’s excellent analog synth sounds. And the swarm sound too.

3 Likes