On the diving board of Syntakt

Yes, it sounds really good. Just that sometimes with monophonic machines you kind of miss to hit two notes or built a chord on the fly instead of programming/plocking it.

But sure, the analog machines sound great. People do amazing stuff with them.

Syntakt is great, no regrets. I have had a machinedrum and I also own an analog rytm and octatrack. Syntakt is the only one on my studio desk right now. Use the fx block on the digital machines

1 Like

Since Syntakt has 12 ‘tracks’ I’ll sometimes use 3 or 4 to make chords. The chord machine is weird but it works to hear chord sounds. Can also use the Syntakt to sequence something else with polyphony. Absolutely love that box and find it very useful everyday

5 Likes

…if u want a sturdy hw box that covers all kinds of digi meets analog synthesis with an easy but never the less quite complex but pretty effective short cut approach and like to enjoy the famous klak klak zak zak workflow of an elektron device, the syntakt will make u happy…

3 Likes

I personally would pick up the Digitakt before the Syntakt because you can go so much further with sampling (and sampling doesn’t need to be finding vinyl records and shit, I’m almost always sampling notes and chords from my other gear).

That said if it has to be synthesis I do think the Syntakt is the most complete box out of the Digis. I like it more than the Digitone, actually sold my Digitone after I got the Syntakt, that said I also have an Analog Four and it’s one of the best elektron boxes. Chords can be done by using multiple tracks, it’s not ideal and hopefully elektron implements a voice stealing feature, but it’s doable.

It is probably the Elektron box that most similar to a Circuit but it’s so much deeper and so much more complete than the Circuit. Definitely a great starting point into the Elektron world as it really is kind of a sampler platter to all of Elektrons synthesis based boxes, all put into one.

2 Likes

Digitone is far more powerful than Syntakt when it comes to digital track’s sound design. But I agree that it’s impossible to reproduce the analog flavor of the Syntakt’s analog tracks on Digitone (especially because the analog filters sound very different from the digital one).
I never owned an Analog Rytm but I think it would make a great combo with Digitone.
Digitone for deep powerful sound design, polyphony, layering, arp and Analog Rytm for the analog engines and samples capabilities combined with analog filters (and many tracks).
But I prefer the workflow of the digiboxes over the analog ones. I dream of a Digitakt with analog filters, I would definitely buy it :slight_smile:

The only problem with the Syntakt, or any Elektron box, is that these are really good instruments and you will want to get another one later just by pure curiosity.

10 Likes

10 tracks vs 12 tracks plus analog machines.

P O L Y P H O N Y

*drops the mic.

1 Like

Buy a MPC One or Live :smiley:

How come?

What kind of music do you mainly see yourself making?

I think this is an important question when deciding on a groove box. It’s easy to think I might need this or that but personally I think it’s much more important to think about how good the workflow will be for what you will mainly be doing.

For things that you might do once in a while you can find work arounds. It’s much more annoying to have an awkward workflow for what you are doing most of the time but in theory be able to do everything.

Limitations is in my opinion the main advantage of a groove box.

And Syntakt is great :+1:

1 Like

I don’t regret it. I bought mine right at launch and it’s been a go to, extremely fun box. It’s very flexible with lots to explore. My advice: buy it for what it is, not what it could be if an update comes along.

As is, the Syntakt is a crazy ass, super rad drum machine / mono voice with some phatt extras

It is not a polyphonic keyboard or sample player. It does pair nicely with those things.

The Digitone / RYTM combination is one of my favourites, particularly since the recent update. Syntakt is still my favourite all-in-one box though. Such a great sketchpad for ideas while still sounding great.

The Syntakt is one of the very few instruments I truly connect with, and one of three that I will absolutely never sell, except maybe if there’s an upgraded version. Aside from the technical specs, I find it extremely easy to get most sounds I’d want. I wouldn’t want it to be my only instrument , but it could easily be the foundation for most songs, especially as a percussion and bass machine. Only thing it doesn’t do particularly well is chords, which is why I would want something else to pair with it.

1 Like

Nope. I did have a few days of doubt in the beginning when I still wasn’t that familiar with the workflow and I gave in to the naysayers a little (not deep enough, recycling machines, yada yada bollocks) but once I dug deeper into the machines & the intricacies of the FX track I was hooked.

What prolly struck me the most is how versatile it is, this thing can make industrial hellscapes, brutal techno or the most beautiful gentle ambient tracks (check out @OscillatorSink’s insane EP The Shuddering Machine or Speak by @boboter, these two are just :heart:). I remade a bunch of Arvo Pärt’s organ pieces on it, also some stuff that made my Lyra8 blush… It really doesn’t need to just be a drum machine. Love this thing.

Sure, I hate programming chords on it (some poly implementation would be nice), I’d appreciate param slides, a perf-knob-thingy that’s able to stay consistent across multiple patterns and a compressor wouldn’t hurt either. None of these are a regret or a reason I’d consider selling, not by a long shot.

3 Likes

Thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like