OLED display for MM/MD/OT(mk1): possible design to replace that LCD

Greetings!

So a while back I designed a custom OLED display replacement for Analog Mk1 devices (these originally have LCD screen, and do not have OLED counterparts).
A member asked & suggested doing an OLED module for Machinedrum, Monomachine & Octatrack Mk1 as well.

At this point of research it seems doable and I am considering doing it.

Upfront I can say, that if I do design and make a batch of 10, I would ask 150€(+shipping) for an OLED module, for my work to be worthwhile.

So the question of course: is there any interest in such a module?

Cheers,
Zigmars

3 Likes

Here is the “OLED for Analog Mk1” thread where the idea started (edit: corrected link)

Man. I would be very interested, but I’m wondering how difficult the process of switching them out is. A friend and I did a few Analog black lcd’s a few years ago. That was pretty difficult in itself, de-soldering being the worst part. I’m interested tho.

1 Like

chiming in for interest here too, I would buy 2x. I think the OT may have something different about it than the MD/MnM. The guy making custom LCD panels for the 3 boxes sells a different screen for the OT.

vs

Not sure if its different input voltages or what.

I’ll ask around and see if I can get an idea of what the difference is.

there seems to be something wrong with the link:

Oops! That page doesn’t exist or is private.

1 Like

Correct link

1 Like

Tempted by these for the MD and MM but my soldering skills are shocking!!!

2 Likes

@thoughtstarZ, @Kultschar for most people the desoldering part would be the hardest, it should be the same difficulty level as Analog display swap.

A somewhat experienced technician with a desoldering station should be able to do the desoldering + soldering part within 10-20min.
So, if You would do disassembly Yourself,
contact a local electronics/computer/mobile repair-shop (who have desoldering station)
ask them only for a quick/simple desoldering + soldering job of 20-pin (0.1" pitch) pinheader (probably should send them a photo like the following one), that should not cost You too much and take much time.

You could also do it Yourself without damaging anything, if You take time and are willing to learn the appropriate technique to do that.
Also, depending on the tools & skill set You have (or willingness to acquire it), there are more efficient and less efficient ways to do it. Soldering iron is of course necessary, and then either wire cutters or manual desoldering pump with silicone tubed tip.

But I guess, that is not for everyone.
And if You just want to swap a single unit and You value Your time, then it definitely is worth it to pay a (sensible cost) technician to do it.

From the photos, it does not seem to be much different, mechanically.
So no double-work on mechanical design aspect (hopefully) needs to be done.
A different input voltage would probably not be a significant issue as well.

Isn’t it the same KS0108-controller-compatible LCD?
I thought, that the LCD display https://www.buydisplay.com/2-9-inch128x64-graphical-lcd-display-module-ks0108-white-on-black
also fit Octatrack Mk1.
Anyone has experience using it as a replacement in OT Mk1?

Anyway, I guess if I do design it, I will then have to borrow somewhere both a MD/MnM, and OT as well to double check compatibility for both.