Octatrack vs. Digitakt - Do I need both?

Anyone here have an ot dt combo? I’ve had my digitakt for nearly a year and I love it, but I am about to make my dreams come true and buy an octatrack. I’m imagining that the digitakt will take the place of a drum machine since the sampling is more effective on the octatrack but I’m wondering if I’ll even use the digitakt anymore since I can slice up drum samples and parameter lock one shot drums on the octatrack. Maybe I’m going too crazy with my reverb account and am addicted to selling gear, but I’m afraid I wont use the digitakt anymore.
Would love to hear experiences

Keep the Digitakt.

I’ve got both, each have their own sonic characteristics and workflow.

It’s my opinion that the workflow of the Digitakt is much more inviting than that of the OT.

I, personally, gravitate more towards the Digitakt than the OT because it’s a faster and more rewarding process. I reserve the OT for when I want to get really weird and soundscapy- but most of the time I’m happier with the DT

11 Likes

The digitakt was my first elektron device and I loved it. Then I got the octatrack and sold the digitakt :nerd_face:

5 Likes

You can always wait and make music with what’s available already.

I would not add a sampler to a sampler, save your money for (an) inspiring sound source(s).

Just My 2 Cents.

6 Likes

The Digitakt was my first, then I got an Octatrack about 6 months later. I’m really happy I kept the Digitakt. Even thought I too slice up stuff drumwise on the Octatrack, it’s really great to create on the DT. I find happy accidents on both for very different reasons.

3 Likes

I have owned both for a while. I saw them as 2 different machines, both useful in their own way. As Loopop was putting it in his video about the OT mk2, it’s a story of usability VS flexibility.

The OT is extremely flexible, it can go from loop machine to synth, passing by drum machine and ending with an FX box. Better yet, it can be all those things at the same time. It comes at the price of added complexity and somewhat slower workflow. I got used to that complexity/flexibility and it makes the OT a real MVP in my setup.

The DT is less flexible but is more focused and immediate. The other side of the Elektron sampling coin, so to speak, less options and straight to the point. I ended up selling it because I didn’t need that much sampling tracks and the OT isn’t going anywhere.

So yeah, having them both was a bit much for me, especially the 8 MIDI tracks on each which I wasn’t using.Maybe if you need more than the 8 tracks of the lovely OT ? :slight_smile:

All this being said, what do you miss on the DT ? It’s a pretty deep machine, maybe you can get all you need just from that machine, after all sound locks offer a way to make extensive use of the 8 tracks.

4 Likes

I had a Digitakt at first and then decided to also get an Octatract. At first I was thinking I may sell the Digitakt, but they pair up so nicely, especially if you leverage the inputs for sampling.

Digitakt is not my One Hit sampler (so all my drums, percussion, bass hits, stabs) come from here and the other channels are used for live looping and mangling - loving the setup right now, Octatrack is my performance mixer and everything runs through it.

Cheers.

2 Likes

+1 for keeping the Digitakt. I sold my DT a few years ago thinking the Octatrack would do it all but ended up buying DT again earlier this year. I missed the straightforward workflow, great sound engine, and something that never gets mentioned which is the 2x8 trig layout.

Love me some 2x8 - I feel like I can program trigs twice as fast.

9 Likes

I don’t own an OT but I definitely agree about the 2x8 it just makes so much sense! I can “see” rhythmic elements better, even before they trigger.

3 Likes

i use both in combo and I think its great. The combo gets you 7 stereo sample track and 8 mono sample tracks with all the creative mangling you could ever imagine.

3 Likes