Octatrack Time Stretch Playback Errors

Hi All,
I haven’t used the Octatrack at all since updating to OS 1.40. Yesterday I started a project and noticed that any sample I played back from any Static or Flex machine was making a very noticeable warble which I tracked down as coming from the time stretch. This was on all settings.
I tested several samples from old projects and I have never heard such bad artifacts on my samples in the past and always have had time stretch on. The problem is so bad the Octatrack is unusable.
I updated to OS 1.40a to see if it was a bug but the problem is still there.
Has anyone had this problem? Am I missing something or am I making some sort of school boy error? To continue the testing, can anyone tell me how to download an old OS as I can’t seem to be able to find them on the support page.
I have raised a ticket and am waiting to hear from Elektron. Tracking down an old OS will help me see if it’s a software or hardware problem.
Thanks in advance.

In Playback/SRC setup timestretch (TSTR) is set to Auto, activated by default.

You can set it to Off if you don’t want timestretch, or check Audio Editor > Attributes tempo if the sample is not synced.

Also verify in Playback/SRC setup is RATE is not set to TSTR…

Sorry missed that. Are your attributes saved settings still correct?

2 Likes

Thanks very much for coming back to me on this.
Turning off the TSTR does fix the problem and everything works fine.
I thought the time stretch on the OT was quite good though. Which is why I wanted to check against an old OS. Even changing my tempo a little with any TSTR option sounds terrible. I wanted to check with the forum as it seems unusable to me.

I like to use timestretch with very slow setttings, using RATE(TSTR mode), up to 64 times.

Other than that, timestrech works better with faster tempo, around +10% max, depending on audio material. Still not convinced by Beat mode…

Slices!

2 Likes

Cheers dude.

1 Like

Can you perhaps upload an audio file where we hear what you mean, and the original file, and info about settings related to the timestretch. Then maybe someone could compare if their OT sounds the same.

Here a video showing the warbling timestretch. I’d love to hear peoples thoughts. I have also showed this to Elekron support by raising a ticket and they said " Yes I looked at it. I couldn’t hear anything unusual" But to me this timestrech is unusable. I need to upload the audio file as suggested above.
Vimeo link here - jump to 1min in to miss me setting up a new project.
https://vimeo.com/manage/videos/545612572
Thanks.

sample can be downloaded here:

Doesn’t seem that bad to me.
It would be better to compare with orignal sample. What’s original tempo and new one?

Anyway I think wouldn’t timestretch chords loops like this, I’d slice it in 2.

Original tempo was 78bpm. Would you exspect it to warble even moving 2-3bpm?

Big thanks for taking a look.

In the video it was defaulting to 120bpm from 78bpm but at the end I change the tempo just a small amount.

Ah so the sample is the original? :content:
I couldn’t watch the video from the link.

Yes the sample is the original. The video link should work now.

https://vimeo.com/545612572/924abb78e5

I could watch it.
OT’s realtime timestretch is not miraculous!
Let’s say this sample is particularly sensible with timestretch and slight tempo variation.

I’d also try with a FLEX.

I made a test with a (different) chord sample. It seemed acceptable to me with timestretch and slight tempo change. But I wouldn’t use timestretch for chords anyway.

For info TSNS works only in BEAT mode.
I always preferred Normal mode results, even with drums…

RATE = TSTR allows slower tempos.
RATE 32 = half tempo

1 Like

Mate thanks again for your input. Looks like i’m exspecting too much from the time streach. Your help in checking this is greatly appreciated.

1 Like

@Robbo listening to the video again it seems weird to have such modulation with 81 bpm.

I’ll give a try with your sample. I’d use Normal mode.

Done. Apparently same behavior as you.
At 81 (TSTR Normal), with this sample there is a repetitive off beat fluctuation in low registry.
Not very nice. An hipass filter helps, but you’re loosing bottom…

With TSTR BEAT it seems comparable with TSNS=0, getting worse increasing it.

Thanks again dude. That confirms there’s nothing wrong with my Octatrack then which is great news.
I’ll probably keep a way from time streaching stuff if I can help it.