Octatrack Screen Burn-in

My local synth shop has an Octatrack m2 that’s a display model that they’re selling for a good price, about 200$ off. It has the official warranty and a 30 day return.

The screen seems to have some odd burn-in ghosting effects. It’s still in OS1.30 so doesn’t have the screen saver. How many of you have seen these artifacts in your screens? Should I get it or stay away?

Many thanks for your input!

The demos normally have the burn in really bad because they leave them on all day and it didn’t have a screen saver … I didn’t go for the demo even with the good price…

Mine after about 6 months has slight signs of burn in…
up to you if you can put up with looking at it I couldn’t…
though if you buy it it should be covered by warranty
and then send it to elektron for replacement screen and you end up getting it cheap
But then you must wait…

2 Likes

Thanks for the answer, Dan.

How long does an Elektron repair generally take?

I sent in my Digitakt for a repair and it took about 6 months from submitting the ticket to getting it back.

2 Likes

thats tough to say.
theres a lot of factors to take into account,
I.E.-pending repair ques, if they have replacement parts in stock, how busy they are, etc.

my guess would be 2 months give or take. but theres been stories on here of much longer.

1 Like

If you ask Elektron support they will give you an estimate. The time taken will vary depending on which Elektron workshop you send it to.

1 Like

6 months old and screen is looking like this already
1 hour until screen turns off is way too long …
should be minimum 30 mins before switch off… Even 15 min is ok
I love my elektron gear but if I use it a lot the screens will dead in a years time

2 Likes

There is a lot of fuss about burn in. But are there any reports of actualy dead screens?

Not heard of failed screens, I’ve just seen some serious burn in

I’m not saying that this is normal - a flagship piece of gear with that kind of problem, but i chose not to worry about it. Makes my OT time more fun (mine looks same as yours).

1 Like

Yeah I don’t want to be all negative complaining about everything,
but it’s noticeably getting worse…
just think a much faster screen saver may save it looking like shit in a few years time…

1 Like

yea, I know. It would be cool if they added option for user to set dimming time and screen off time. Meanwhile I just put one some other screen when, messing with other gear or going away from OT

2 Likes

Yeah, and perhaps reverse mode, so when you start noticing burning set it to reverse for a while, until the burning is not noticeable any more. Over time the display would loose brightness but at least evenly

1 Like

Hello

I bought it in January 2020. I was brand new (sealed). It has always run firmware 1.31 (which provides the “Screen Saver”). I had used my Octatrack Mk II for approximately 45 hours. Screen has started to burn-in few weeks ago. This “screen saver” is useless. I really do not understand why Elektron does not implement a “true” screen saver ! :disappointed_relieved:

Regards

1 Like

My favorite screen saver is pushing the AED button and watching the sample for a bit (going through different modes for contrast, etc…) and then back to what I was doing :joy:

Just being precautious…

2 Likes

I’d be quite happy with the screen alternately inverting every few minutes when no controls are being touched, I think that would minimise burn in.

Do the other MKII units have the same screen? My RytmMKII does not seem to have any signs of burn in…

1 Like

If the alternating between normal and inverted mode is automatic you will still get burning, and it might be annoying. I think the best is to make it selectable by the user in SYSTEM > PERSONALIZE, so you can switch mode whenever you start noticing uneven burning.

1 Like

I’m starting to see burn on my A4 screen, the circles of the parameters when selecting presets.
not as bad as Octatrack I think because of what is displayed but it’s the same…
AR seems to be surviving the best… These have all had the screen savers from the start…

I try to switch screens to not leave it on main screen but it doesn’t seem to help…
Think the digi yellow screens possibly may be more resistant to burn in yet to notice anything on them but they are newer

totally !
+1000

i really have concerns with my DT in this regard since i use it (right now) only as a CV sequenzer (with a midi2CV device) and even rarely touch it.
edit: i mean when the DT IS working

2 Likes

I have the latest OS… but my screen saver never kicks in… is there an option that needs to be turned on? And does the DN have a screen saver aswell… again if it does I have the latest OS… and nothing.