Octatrack 'save to new'

Means double security apparently. :content:

No, if I use Save to New, it means I like the current state. But unless I saved older project, this state is not saved. If I mess with that state, it can be lost. So I prefer to save just after Save to New.

Double security : save older and new project.
Btw I’m not sure if I save older project before Save to New. Seems better, but I also like keeping an older state…

Just sharing an experience and a description of how this all works in my own words in case it helps others to understand it better.

I had an alarming problem: I accidentally did FUNC+PLAY and deleted my whole pattern without realising I’d done so, so I carried on with a few changes and consequently wasn’t able to undo. This was bad: I lost all my work. But I had a previous saved state that I thought I could go back to. I did SAVE TO NEW (just so that I had some trace of at least the machine configs etc) and then reloaded the previous version of the project. I was, as others above, very very very annoyed to find that the previously saved version was not in fact the previously saved version, and I had still lost all my work.

After some experimentation and reading, it works as follows.

1. When you reload the old project, you are reloading the cached version of that project: the most recently used, but as yet unsaved version of the old project.

2. So, having opened the cached version of the old project, if you then go to PROJECT and select RELOAD it will load the last SAVED state of that old project, and you get your work back.

This is good news, but it was annoying to work out. Like, er, almost everything on the Octatrack. There’s probably a good reason why it works this way, I can see some merit (mostly, I suppose it means you don’t get pestered about saving the current state of a project when loading a new project). But dear god it took some digging.

3 Likes

Topic tittle is wrong. The command is SAVE AS NEW. And to match better reality I’d rather call it COPY CURRENT STATE AND SAMPLES IN A NEW PROJECT FOLDER :content:. It copies current state, not save state, which means you can’t reload previous saved state after a SAVE AS NEW. But if you want to keep current state as new start, you can SAVE after SAVE AS NEW.

Not exactly. I guess you meant when you use SAVE AS NEW, is copies older project with its current state, but it is not a reload, it is a copy.

Check files on your card.
After CREATE PROJECT, files are .work files. These files are saved automatically.
If you use the SAVE command, these files are duplicated with the .strd extension.

After SAVE, .work and .strd files are identical. After tweaking parameters, .work files are auto saved and differ from .strd files.

After RELOAD, .work files are replaced by .strd files (current files are replaced by older saved files). All files are identical again.

SAVE AS NEW duplicates only .work files in a new project folder, so you can’t reload anything from that.

So if you have a project 01, saved it once, use SAVE AS NEW as project 02, you can’t RELOAD project 01 saved state from project 02. You have to go back to project 01 to do so.

1 Like

That’s what I believe and I thought it was what I said but multiple disambiguations are always necessary with octatrack!

3 Likes

If it works for you, it’s the most important.

The fact that you said reload old project instead of SAVE AS NEW disturbed me. RELOAD concern saved state only. SAVE AS NEW is a copy, not a reload.

And the current state is written into files, not only cached. Btw I don’t know how it’s constantly written, but if you turn OT off, you don’t loose current state, it is written on the card…

Thank you!

Edit: sometimes wish it cached recording buffers but whateva! But i also like just turning it off and knowing i got a clean slate with minimal effort for the next time:).

I’m still quite new to the OT but this has led to a few dissapointing sessions for me.

1 Like

Me too. It’s really silly, there should be an option to always auto-save recording buffers to CF card.

2 Likes

It just happened to me…had a really honest to god special bass line and accidentally hit the “record cd” button = bye bye! My buddy could not comprehend why i couldnt get it back and said “well you just convinced me i NEVER want an Octatrack “. Ha! He comes up with fewer ideas so I understand :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Incredibly irritating and could be easily fixed by elektron in firmware.

I try to think of it as a high-risk high-reward instrument :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

:smile:__
Hi Sam ! Even if I oftenly defend its qualities, I wouldn’t recommend OT to every one as is (especially for instruments players used to “simple” loopers).
I got pissed of at first, like “it can’t do what my loopers do, nor my MPC 1000 !”
Autosave for buffers, undo, I’m in of course !

Saving buffers manually cut audio, bad for live situation…

And you have to rely on your CF card…
Did you know that RC 505 uses a microSd card ? I changed my internal 4gb card to a 32gb and it worked. Possible to record only 1 track at once, but up to 2gb !

Morality : You have to think twice for live situations, prepare well your workflow, and take care of your CF card !

Personaly for jams with friends I prefer regular loopers.

3 Likes

Thanks, I didn’t know that english term. In France maybe only a few ambiguous persons use it translated (désambiguïsation in french). :wink:
I like facts :

Unsaved Project (only .work files)

Saved Project (.work files are duplicated as .strd files, which can be reloaded as .workfiles)

Save as New project (only .work files are copied)

(Well some people may notice that Save As New .work files should be same size as Saved project .work files but they don’t. It is not a perfect example.) :pl:

1 Like

In my particular case, i played a bass line in, sliced it, and trig’d it with reverses, pitched up, down, stuttered.

Not happenin on a looper right? :upside_down_face:

I hate loopers. I love OT and double LOVE pickup machines (looper :joy: ) actually. My writing flow lately is 5 pickups, 2 flex!

2 Likes

Sure. That’s also why I love OT !

I absolutely don’t.

I absolutely don’t. Maybe you can try to convince me in another topic !
I’m still 100% Recorders + FLEX…
But I’d be glad to change my mind. Btw It is possible to overdub with a Pickup, and change machine back to a Flex with plocks !

2 Likes

Well i basically run pickups the way youve explained them so i probably cant do any convincing😀 but yeah i could go deeper elsewhere!

1 Like

Theory and practice. I couldn’t use them in a satisfying way.
Octatrack as a looper - #2 by PeterHanes

2 Likes

Only to my worst enemies

2 Likes

I wouldn’t if they’d have the potential to be very good with it. :content:

Btw I just…SAVEd “TO” NEW. Wtf ?
I said above it was SAVE AS NEW. :rofl:

SAVE AS NEW and SAVE TO NEW are both in the manual, did they change that at some point ?

I’m pretty sure they did :

2 Likes

i’d love to read about PICKUP more often. I don’t own a MIDI pedal yet but I’d love to dig my old guitar and try these, must be a ZOOM G5 killer (à coup sur @sezare56)

So PICKUP machines are compatible with FLEX out of a single Plock? I did not know about this! That’s a game changer.