Octatrack 'save to new'

Hello, fairly new octa user.

i’m really confused by the ‘save to new’ function.
say, i have a project, build some stuff etc and save it. when i reload the project and do some changes and use the ‘save to new’ function (giving another name) the old project syncs. now when i reload the old project basically all my changes i would like to have in the new project are also in the old project… wtf? so basically ‘save to new’ appears to create a copy of the changed project. is there a way to just create a copy of the old project with the changes i made leaving it untouched? i know about parts and saving them, made sure i saved them in the first step. thanks!

1 Like

Just save after SAVE AS NEW.
It should be called “copy as new”, because it’s not saved. :content:

Part settings are saved with the project (in banks) anyway. Not related.

3 Likes

ok i did this now:

1. save original project
  2. do some changes
  3. ‘save as new’
  4. save the new project

now when i reload the ‘old’ project the changes are also in that one… i want to keep it untouched :confused:

@fish233 Do it like this

1. save original
  2. save as new
  3. do some changes
  4. save project

Now you should be able to load original or new project and the differences will be there.

3 Likes

I did that. I could reload older settings on older project.

thanks guys. @darenager i feared already it would work like this. problem is i don’t want to duplicate a project each time before commiting changes, just in case i made good changes. i would like to duplicate if i’m happy with my new changes and don’t save the old one. really weird design decision imho…

2 Likes

@sezare56 really weird, over here it always loads the new changes, also when loading the old project…

Use “Reload” then.

Remember changes are automatically cached to card :+1:

4 Likes

@darenager but what if i want to compare the changes? just to check what works best?

No reason to. The saved to new project is in another folder, in a not saved state.

There are work files and saved files. Save to New just make a copy of work files and samples.

Save to New doesn’t change older project state. Reload should reload last saved state, even if you did “Save to New”.

Check again!

2 Likes

Do it like the method I wrote above :wink:

1 Like

I see

You meant open (change to) older project. It keeps last settings. Use Reload for saved settings.

3 Likes

@darenager @sezare56 thanks so much guys! ok now i get it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Generally I tend to start a project, get to a state I’m happy with, save it. Then save to new, new project becomes active, make changes, save project, save to new, make changes etc. This way you will have a bunch of incremental backups.

This is just the way I do it, you might think it a bit “belt and braces” but it is a convenient way to ensure nothing is lost, and it is easy enough to get rid of older projects once you are sure you don’t need them anymore, by using the file manager.

9 Likes

yes indeed, that’s how i would like to work too. i overlooked the updated ‘working state’ being synced to the old project, makes total sense now!

For my first Science Lab I did 16 save as new!

Now I do it once, not systematically, but it’s a good thing : once I had a corrupted bank in a project for instance.

Check OT files
.work files and .strd files (stored? created after SAVE)

A saved bank replace corresponding bank.strd file.

2 Likes

:smiley:

in the future i probably also would go easier on incremental backups, but its an old habbit from corrupted DAW sessions. and this bad boy doesn’t have deep undo layers, i see myself screwing things up pretty fast hehe

1 Like

FWIW I thought the autosave (cache to card) was a real PITA when I first got my OT, but once you are aware of how it works it is pretty handy, because essentially you always have 2 states of a project - the current SAVED version, and the cached ACTIVE version.

You just need to remember it, so that when you change project you know what is saved, my method allows for historical backups, I just increment the digit at the end of the filename to know which order.

Eg:
Myproject1, save.
Save to new Myproject2
Changes, save.
Save to new Myproject3
And so on.

3 Likes

I usually save just after save to new.

2 belts and braces :laughing:

2 Likes