Octatrack Sample Manager

Dear Rusty,

please let us update, thank you anyway for your effort.

All the best,

waldemaR

Current update is that it is sitting here not doing much at the momentā€¦ Iā€™ve been tied up with work stuff.

Current status is that it is working as expected with:

• Import of Octatrack Project files
  • Export of Octatrack Project files
  • Ability to manage up to 10 Octatrack Projects simultaneously
  • Cut / Copy / Paste / Drag/Drop between Octatrack Projects
  • Audio Pool management including:
    o Add new samples
    o Remove old samples
    o Purge samples
  • Audio File player / previewer

Some other stuff I canā€™t remember off the top of my headā€¦

Main thing I am looking at doing now is talking to Elektron about getting the specifications regarding the file structures utilised by the Octatrack.

This has been on the back burner due to my work stuff, and no point chasing Elektron whilst they are tied up with Analog Four Keys, Christmas, NAMM, Analog Rytm etc.

There is zero guarentee that they will provide me with that information, so donā€™t get your hopes up.

But if they do provide that to me, then I should be able to do a bunch more exciting stuff.

If they donā€™t then I wonā€™t be doing any of that, as I have better things to do with my spare time then decrypting file formats.

Depending on the above, will dictate if looking at an OSX port will happen sooner (they say no) or later (they say yes)

ASL? :heart:

1 Like

This sounds excellent as a new octatrack owner. And osx as well. I would definently pay for such a utility

Aye.
+1
OSX.
Would be fantastic.

Nice, thanks for the update! Looking very forward to this tool, it will really help relieve the OT project management headaches. Hereā€™s hoping Elektron is helpful and supportive of this great project!

A software front-end would take away much of the pain of the OT. But the years roll gently byā€¦

I would add the ability to audition samples within a folder to the sample manager features. Even though you need the audio in a certain exact file format, which youā€™ve probably batch converted already, I think it would be helpful to make sure they are imported and converted as in - good to go/play from within a sample manager as soon as they are imported.
As long as the app wasnā€™t cost prohibitive, Iā€™m in!
I think a multiple platform sample manager is long overdue, Elektron?

If Elektron donā€™t see the capability of what User inspired or able todo, thatā€™s sucks.

All the best,

waldemaR

+1 for OSX

To be honest Iā€™m really really surprised no one has done this before - it seems like a pretty obvious thing for a sampler like this and dealing with complex file structures and to make the ease of use and transition to the OT less painfull Imwould imagine a user created utility they would jump at if it had the right features.
Has anyone contacted elektron and what are they usually like with this stuff?

Really dying for this. Need any more beta testers? :stuck_out_tongue: Iā€™d pay $30us for this. Any word on arrangement editing as well? It might be a bit easier to arrange songs on a full sized computer screen.

OSX here, would gladly payā€¦

Now that NAMM is over, Iā€™ll be flicking an email over to Elektron in the next week or two regarding file structures.

Depending on how all that goes, will depend on the next steps. :confused:

1 Like

If you donā€™t already have the file format specs, did you have to reverse engineer things? I was thinking of doing a similar thing with MNM and MD (organizing patterns and Kits), but Iā€™m not really interested in reverse engineering.

I hope they come through with some docos.

Latest Update:

I contacted Elektron regarding the file formats, and at this point in time nothing will be happening in that regards, and I will not be attempting to reverse engineer them.

The assignment of samples to the engines/tracks/trigs are stored within these files.

What this means is that there will not be any support/functionality for Bank/Pattern management/modification.

So, it looks like I will press ahead with the current state of affairs.

OSX Version:

I have a couple of offers (Hi Neil!) to port the code base over to OSX, so I will have to see what is the best/easiest way of doing so.

Timing:

Frankly, right now, I have a lot of work stuff happening at the moment, so this one is down my list of priorties a bit, for when I have ā€œspare timeā€ :slight_smile:

Given the lates news, I need to review where I am at, what functionailty can be done / exluded, and then move forward with that, write documentation, and talk to peoplle who have volunteered to beta test.

1 Like

:frowning:

Well, I sure hope this means that Elektron plans on stepping up and offering their own solutions for making projects more manageable.

Dear Rusty,

thank you for the update.
But maybe the priority will be higher if everyone who say i will pay, pay now :wink:

All the best,

waldemaR

:slight_smile: That would be nice, but my principles donā€™t let me take money until the work is done. Damn catholic guilt.

iā€™d be very interested and willing to pay depending on the features, ease of use 10 -30ā‚¬
OSX is my system of choice

edit:
iā€™ve been reading over the bank and project filesā€¦seems impossible to have
a proper bank/pattern merging between projects :frowning:

looks like elektron has to come up with something
i think i meet the guys at musikmesse next week and iā€™ll ask them about that

ļ¼‹1 for osx. merging patterns between projects seems like a glaring necessity elektron has been ignoring. iā€™m deeply appreciative for your efforts rusty! i would also be willing to pay for this software.