Octatrack Preset Banks / Factory Content

Hello folks, I got a used OT a few days ago and the factory content was deleted. I contacted Elektron support and Loopmasters, got the files from them and put the files to the CF card. I loaded the PRESETS set and PRESETS project. But all the banks except Bank A are empty, and the patterns on Bank A are the ones that were already accessible in demo mode. I was hoping to play some preset patterns that use Loopmasters samples too. Does the OT originally ship with just one pattern bank, or am I missing something here?

I also realized that the patterns in demo mode and the presets project are the same, but the ones in demo mode sound much louder. I checked main volume, individual track volumes and master track volume in both demo mode and presets project patterns, they seem to be the same. any idea what causes this significant volume difference?

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Factory sounds

You can unregister your devices yourself at any time by clicking on the little white on black cross next to the serial number.

5 Likes

Maybe you’re not aware of the fact that we’re still in summer holidays. If you’re so into “instant gratification”, you might as well return the Octatrack, indeed. It’s not that kind of machine anyway, you’ll get frustrated way too often. Or just register the machine and move on. Just my .002

2 Likes

…registering ur elektron units is a good thing…no worries…
and does no harm to any return or reselling plans in further future…
and that factory content is good stuff…but nothing u would miss, if u look back in a year from now…ot is a bitch…but only in the first few weeks…than u’ll never wanna go without it anymore…

2 Likes

I accidently deleted some files from the CF card. I contacted Elektron Support, and within 24 hours they provided me a link to download the original OT CF-card content.

So, just register your OT and be happy with the help from Elektron support.

4 Likes

Because anyone without the device could then ask for the 3rd party Licenced samples. Registering to prove you have a device seems simple and in no way affects whether you can legitimately return it. It’s a cursory and reasonable check that they would be obliged to fulfil on the behalf of the 3rd party sample providers.

4 Likes

Literally the first thing I did when I got my OT was reformat the factory card, IMHO a blank slate is a better starting point to learn from than factory presets are. I have no idea what was on there but I know I never missed it.

EDIT: I’m not a snob about presets though, I’ll use synth presets when they’re classics like Solid Bass that have been heavily (over)used to the point where they have their own sort of extramusical associations just like classic samples do.

But for learning a new piece of gear I definitely prefer starting from some kind of initialized/default/neutral state.

4 Likes

This was most definitely not my experience. I got a 2nd-hand OT mkII in January with a blank card. Contacted support, they told me to register the OT. That was when the registration page was down for a bunch of weeks (2 months?). Finally went to register it and found out it was still registered by previous owner. Once I got that resolved and finally registered my OT, there was no factory content to be seen. Last I remember was something about contacting Loopmasters.

While all that was going on over the course of a month or two, I just loaded it up with various samples obtained over the years (Ableton, free packs, etc.), and sampled in my own stuff while learning the box. At this stage, I don’t even care about the original factory content anymore, and really don’t need it.

I’m not sure where I’m going with story, but I guess the moral is your mileage may vary when contacting support. Maybe they just changed their policies about distributing factory content. I’d also recommend looking through the “Files” section of this website - lots of people have shared sample content for free! :+1:

1 Like

I just got a 2nd hand OT mk2 but it is completely empty. How can I put the factory content back on to have a starting point to play around and learn it?

try demo mode

I’m not sure if it’s still available, but after registration your MKII unit on elektron.se there was factory content to get direct from user account.

1 Like

I had this issue too. I had to register the Octatrack MKII and via Elektron support I got a temporary link to download it. So I think this is the way to get the original content.

1 Like

I experienced this, registered, requested the download link and got a run around from support. By the time that all ironed out, I had already loaded it full of my own samples and didn’t care. There are quite a few sample libraries in the “Files” section of this website. Probably enough to get off the ground until you start sampling on your own.

Seems logical to me: it’s probably not a free bundle, they surely pay a fee to loopmasters, and that fee is incorporated in the OT’s global price. They can’t just post a link so anyone could just download the content for free, you must provide proof of ownership

3 Likes

Why not load up your own original samples? Nobody else will have those except you. I’m only suggesting that.

3 Likes

Hi - I got help from the Elektron support team on this - answer below:

If you register the Octatrack to your account you will be able to download it from there. You can register the unit from the [My Registered Machines]

When the unit is registered to your account, the sound factory content will be available to download from the [My Sound Packs]

1 Like

I’ll just use this thread. It says there’s 5GB content included with OT…

Where is it? Do you need to download it?

All I see is one project with hello, hip hop, acid and something else you you press banks.

You can format the CF card and download the original content from your page on Elektron.se after you have registered your Octatrack there. That’s what I did to make sure it was as shipped when new :relaxed: