Octatrack per pattern midi transpose

Is there no way to transpose midi per pattern without using parts?
that is only 4 different possible transposes per bank and a bit limited.
I also know can use arranger but don’t want to use that.
I was think someone mentioned or I read that you can use static lfo stock do this but
can that only be done by scenes or per pattern?

You could p-lock arp transpose on all trigs that you want to transpose, or indeed use an lfo (square wave or use lfo designer, IIRC lfo speed 0 works), then p-lock lfo depth on all trigs or dial in depth manually.

What exactly do you want to do?

1 Like

I just want change pattern and it shift transpose without having to adjust all the trigs.
Would be good if could just hold track and press up or down like digitone/A4

Ah, ok. You can use the transpose parameter on the arp page or an lfo.
Arp tanspose transposes all trigs on a pattern in semitones.

Lfo designer is neat because you can draw a flat line which then in this case would be your max transpose range with lfo depth = 127.

1 Like

Isn’t the ARP transpose always active ?

Snap, posting at same time !!

Yes, it is.

1 Like

Lately I have been transposing using the arp transpose assigned to parts. So part one is the normal midi key, part 2 is up a fifth, part 3 is down 2 steps, etc. That way I con very quickly move between transpositions without trying to dial it in in time. It has been working really well (and to be honest its the first time parts really clicked for me)

1 Like

Yes but how do you adjust it per pattern? it carry’s across all patterns unless you change parts

Yes it works that way, how I ended up doing it but would like to not have to change parts just for transpose and you only have 4 per bank

plock it per pattern?

Without parts, plocking and arranger it seems difficult to have transpose per pattern!

2 Likes

Also Tried that, It only plocks per step

I thought you wanted to transpose on the fly.

In short, there is now way around p-locking each trig (or changing notes) if you want to transpose differently on each pattern if you don’t want to use the arranger.

1 Like

It seems just have to use parts wisely if want to use transpose per pattern.
Maybe 4 is enough or just have to adjust manually otherwise
Think would better if transpose was per pattern by default or had destructive transpose like A4, but it is a different machine so it is what it is

Why not just change the notes in each pattern? :slight_smile:

It’s a lot of trigs to adjust depending on the pattern and if you want transpose each track differently

Yeah, this can become pretty tedious work :laughing:

I’ll usually try to copy as much as I can from different tracks (copy page, copy trigs).

1 Like

Is OT master? I thought about sending a program changes and CCs to modify transpose parameter but this works for active track only (CC DIRECT CONNECT OFF).

With a DAW master, or with a midi controller, there is also Song Pointer Position to control Arranger position :
So it is possible to jump to any position of the Arranger, make different rows with different transpose settings.
Direct jump possible. Not simple !

2 Likes

OctaEdit V1 is available.

1 Like

Yes I saw that, does look interesting but might wait for v2 or bit longer
Still need more time to learn the Octatrack before try to learn another program also…
do you use it is it good?