Octatrack OS update wishlist

I know this is an obvious one but I’d be really, really happy if they added trig conditions. Like, ecstatic.

edit: not sure where they’d cram it into the interface now that I’ve had a look…

1 Like

Mine never click. I loop guitar, vinyl, other hardware etc. using my DMC7 foot controller and I don’t even use the fade in/out.

Ot’s fades in/out are bad, especially fade out, increasing sample length.
The fade curve is bad, and timing doesn’t change the curve.
Quite easy to have clicks while overdubing because of that.
I don’t use it too.

2 Likes

Conditionnal trigs as number one.
Playback Page Retrigs retrigging Amp, Lfos and FX.
Better fades for recordings.

3 Likes
  • Rename CC
  • Save a MIDi track as “instrument” (equivalent to Sound for audio)
  • Replace Parts with Kits (possibility to have 1 kit per pattern and share kits between banks)
  • MIDi Scenes
  • Trig condition (but keep One Shot, I like it for recording !)
4 Likes

What OS version are you using? Mine, again, clicks even when recording digital black with nothing connected and no inputs assigned. I’ve examined the recorded audio in a wave editor and it is actually inserting a bit of DC offset right before the loop point. unambiguously a bug of some kind.

I don’t use fade in/fadeout at all either. I tried but they actually tended to make it click MORE if anything.

I believe there is a course of action that leads to the clicking PU’s, but I’m not sure what it is… It’s happened to me maybe 3 times, once it starts the PU’s will click even recording silence, I believe just clearing the recording buffer fixes it, or definitely reload project. If I stick to my project and operate everything smoothly, they never click for me…

3 Likes

I would like to expand the filter triggering options so that retrigs can activate the filter envelope…

5 Likes

Show the current values of parameter pages when pressing the parameter page button, like on the analogs…

3 Likes

Yeah, it is definitely repeatable but I haven’t figured out what causes it. It won’t happen with digital black (no selected inputs etc.) on a freshly loaded program, and seems to happen somewhat randomly after around 3-5 times of recording to a given buffer. And once it happens, it will ALWAYS happen in that buffer regardless of the input or lack of input, until I at minimum reload the project. The other thing I’ve noticed is that if I continue to record into a PUM after it has started looping, after I’ve built up a few layers of overdubs the click has a tendency to get masked and is basically gone after half a dozen or so layers are built up. It’s also possible to mask it a bit with effects.

I won’t have a chance for a few weeks but I’m going to put together a really detailed support ticket with audio samples and an in depth description of how I can reproduce it.

It’s by no means a dealbreaker for the OT by a long shot but it’s a dealbreaker for pickup machines for the kind of stuff I’d be using them for (building up long pads and looping live instruments)

1 Like

I also loop live instruments, voice, etc. I’ve gotten clicks when recording over a previously recorded buffer, it happens infrequently. Two practices have helped me: Clearing the buffer often (ideally before every new recording), at least between banks (songs for me) and going immediately into overdub, silencing your live instrument and then switching to just playback (not exactly sure why this last one helps).

2 Likes

Even clearing the buffer doesn’t help much for me. Sometimes it does but at least as often it doesn’t, and they always come back. And again, this happens even with no inputs and the gate threshold pushed WAY above the self-noise floor, so all that is being recorded is a bunch of zeroes (right up until the last millisecon or so, where there’s a bunch of DC suddenly, and it causes a click). It doesn’t always hit right away but it hits sooner or later (and not much later, at that).

Anyway, I’m definitely not arguing with your experiences with PUM clicks or anything, just trying to be totally clear about what I’m describing.

Out of interest, have you tried setting an exact PLEN and not using fades?
That seems to help other OT practitioners.

No hope to see any update for OT Mk1 now but still:

• gate effect
  • sidechain on compressor
  • hall reverb

@sezare563d
Conditionnal trigs as number one.
Playback Page Retrigs retrigging Amp, Lfos and FX.
Better fades for recordings.

Trigs and better fades is all I need.

1 Like

Auto Save Recordings !

2 Likes

Midi and front panel control of pickup re-multiply.

Slightly sharper crossfades (option)…

While I am still learning the OT, I will humbley admit that I am no stranger to MIDI, loopers, samplers and effects (I’m 42 and have had Boss phrase samplers from the early 90’s to go with my cassette 4-track, back in the early 90’s).

There seem to be a LOT of concerns with OT’s MIDI implementation (or lack of, in certain areas). That said, Elektron has devised a rather non-standard way of utilizing MIDI control. You have to delve into specific CC values for Note values, while ACTUAL note values occupy the space that CC’s would occupy.

I say we ask for a completely revised MIDI implementation scheme…might suck for those of you who finally figured it out with your $1000 controllers, but some of us want to take advantage of the numerous new inexpensive footcontrollers and keyboard controllers (look up Morningstar MC6 and Selah Quartz Timer V2 in the footcontroller department).

I like having my hands on the OT for composition, but in performance (which is the OT’s selling point), I like to have full control AND not have to go nuts on either buying a crazy intricate controller, or programming crazy sub-values on my otherwise simple controller.

But…thats me. Maybe I’m alone on this one.

1 Like

I’m 42 too, I used a lot of of Roland/Boss stuff too. I can say Octatrack is not that bad concerning midi (so much better than an Sp555, Sp404, and even Rc300, Rc505), even if I would like midi control for Parts, and assign midi CCs to crossfader. Notes messages for control is quite unusual I admit but it’s not a big deal for me today.
There are free CCs number that could be used for sure.

With a midi processor such as Event Processor Plus I can solve most of midi “problems”, control some CCs with crossfader, play Slices, etc…

1 Like

Overbridge