Octatrack OS update wishlist

It looks like Elektron prefers to err on the side of implementing features only if they can be made to work really well. MIDI crossfader scenes could potentially generate a lot of CC messages making the result much less smooth than the internal handling. They probably felt it did not work well enough and decided it was best left out.

But, still I wonder: arenā€™t the LFOs sending just as much CCs?

The LFOs control a limited number of CCs and the rate at which the values update can be limited since itā€™s a cyclic change. With the crossfader you have to update much more often to track fast movements precisely.

Again, it can be done but it wouldnā€™t be as immediate as on the internal engine.

of course they are.

itā€™s lame that you canā€™t do Parameter Slides in the MIDI sequencer. LFOā€™s are also ā€˜slidesā€™ in MIDI CC data, so why not have it at our fingertips?

open a filter or any CC exactly programmed as you want it, from any trig in the sequencer.
it will make the Octa a much better MIDI sequencer, in my world.

Two wishes. 1 easy to implement and 1 not so easy.

Easy:
Copy settings at crossfader position to new Scene. I often find a sweet spot between two Scenes - it would be fantastic if there was a way to set this as a new Scene.

Not so easy:
A new ā€˜machineā€™. It would control the sequencer. You could plock trigs to reverse the direction of play, change tempo, set loop points, jump between patterns based on a probability. It could be restricted to Track 8 as a variation on the Master FX. (Is there something like this on one of the other Elektron Machines?)

1 Like

Iā€™m still a beginner with this thing so caveat emptor. If these things can be done and I donā€™t know about it let me know

-More built in support for sample chainsā€¦

• eg: autoslicing based on filename, converting folders to chains, turning on slice mode on a track after Iā€™ve sliced the sample, etc
    -Drum mode in the sequencer?
    -Metasequences which can alter other sequences for like transposition for example
    -Macro recording? Eg combine repetive steps into single steps
    -Still donā€™t really love any of the reverbs, personally
    -Let me have master fx without wasting a track since it only has 8 tracks to begin with
    -And/or post mute fx
    -Basically any update would be good

both ideas are a fantastic and should def be added to the ever growing list. i would have not thought of them but can see myself using them a lot.

to the not so easy one should be added to get the pattern jumping you can get on the A4 (and rytm it seems?)

Fix the damn clicking issue in pickup machines. I REALLY REALLY REALLY want to use them.

I cant see any kind of update tbh, but if there was one -

A render/export of arrangment. So a ā€˜completeā€™ track will have individual rendered stems to export to DAW

Double up the effects slots.

Set loop option (so we could loop 32-48 steps for example)

Apart from the OT looper :wink:

+1

the ability to copy current playing pattern to the next empty pattern slot without stopping the sequencer

parameter-lock tempo settings and midi program change messages

scenes/crossfader functionality to midi tracks

1 Like

Please Elektron, when in ā€˜realtime record modeā€™, change the default clear/copy/paste function to affect the TRACK not the PATTERN as it is nowā€¦

i keep clearing my patterns unintentionally when laying down some melody from the keyboardā€¦ and wanting to clear it and do another takeā€¦

its so annoying!

and it would be so much faster to erase a live take if we dont have to jump out of ā€˜realtime record modeā€™ every time.

+1 for macro recording. Iā€™d love to have a simple button press or two I could assign to repeat sequences of commands I use a lot. For example, Iā€™d record a macro that would lay down triggers, open the edit menu, slice the sample, and create linear locks.

The original OT promo blurb, on the old EU forum prior to release, claimed that the OT would be able to sync to incoming audio. I remember asking HQ why this had not been implemented at one point & they said that they couldnā€™t get it working well enough. Pity. Lately I have been wanting this functionality for jamming with a dj. Used a Korg EMX for this which did ok considering, But its excessive for purely detecting bpm. I hate lugging excess gear.

Besides this I would be happy with any update that isnā€™t just bug fixes.
Lots of areas that could have attention lavished on.

My wish list:

1. Real note C1, C1#, D,ā€¦ instead of pitch 0, 02, 04,ā€¦

2. Mute store in pattern

3. Sample store per patern and not only part.

1 Like

call it the chaotic swing probability generator lol i mean, the compressor works to detect threshold, threshold to tap tempo functionā€¦?
imo what makes most older gear cool isnā€™t that itā€™s ā€œgoodā€, but that it failed in interesting ways, sometimes it took time to figure out that good enough was just as good as good, but in a different way. ļæ¼ :slight_smile: :dizzy_face:
i know itā€™s a lot harder with software. just cool to me how stuff like that happens. who wouldā€™ve planned that crashing ensoniq samplers could be good or 303 wouldnā€™t be so great for bass lines, but like a wicked psychedelic jaw harp kinda thingā€¦part of why iā€™ve always enjoyed elektron stuff was because it seemed like they worked a lot of room in into the experience for stuff like that to happen/get figured out into the software.

OK, may be a little hard to describe and not possible to implement but wanted to put it out there or at least try to explain

I think the best term is ā€œscene trigsā€, would be trig locks associated with scenes.

Problem:

I often have trig locks on a track with multiple sample point starts/lengths etc, so no way to change all that with a scene (other than changing them all to the same) because only can affect at the track level (i.e. all trigs on the track or the track regardless of trigs in cases of filter etc). So Iā€™ll set a scene with a sample start point associated that affects all trigs the same (at the scene level).

So I would love having a way to affect a setting per trig at the scene level.

Right now the scene setting overrides all plocks, so I mean a plockable trig set to scene.

Is this making any sense?

A ā€œtrigger probabilityā€ setting from 0 to 100%. You can parameterlock it for each trigger seperately. The Midibox Sequencer from Ucapps uses this and i like this feature a lot. It really makes a sequencer come alive. If you set each trigger at about 99% and some fills at 20%, it produces a nice ā€œliveā€ feel.

You can achieve this with the lfo and lfo designerā€¦ set to trig, route lfo to amp vol, p-lock lfo depth per trig