Octatrack OS update wishlist

An option to send program change messages a bit earlier when changing patterns please. As is it is almost impossible to remap PC values through a computer and have connected gear follow without one cycle lag. I am remapping PC messages so as to be able to adapt the OT’s 256 patterns to the AR and A4’s 128.

• Import midi files

• Follow action (like in ableton, you could set a follow behaviour when a pattern reaches the end; like “play next pattern” - “play previous pattern” - “loop x times” - “jump to pattern” etc) - I know you can set up an arrangement, but a follow action would be good for breakdowns etc when you want the song to move on at a specific pattern/time but still want the freedom of not being in arrangement mode.

• Some kind of editor or at least an easier way of moving patterns around (maybe this is just cause I’m a noob and keep accidentaly deleting patterns still)

• more static machine slots

BPM per pattern, not per project. then i´d buy one.

Probably mentioned before in another feature wishlist, but export banks and patterns to easily reload them in another project.

VOCODER!!! please

I am a Granular Sample Effect, hell yes, but not sure if the CPU is strong enough.

Don’t buy any Elektron gear then, as this is universal with all their machines (from what I know…don’t think it’s different with the Analog series).
Song mode/arranger does this tho, as previously mentioned. As always with Elektron, there is usually a workaround. BPM is somewhat annoying, but if you’re smart about it can also be quite inspiring.

An editor would be key. Elektron not assisting with Rusty’s editor is a real fail, but not creating their own editor is a double fail. I’m willing to be somewhat forgiving as I know they’ve been utilizing a lot of software development resources with Overbridge, but unless they are building a new Octatrack (and even then), there is no reason they couldn’t throw some man hours into an Octatrack editor. At the very least it would help to increase sales for those on the fence who Google the Octatrack and find pages of complaints. Personally, I find I can make due with things as they are, but I’d really welcome some better methods of organization.

I don’t see more static/flex machine slots as likely due to mathematical limitations. No worries, there are workarounds like chains. But Parts…give me twice as many Parts or more. 4 Parts per bank means I have to really limit what I can do with Patterns to get dynamic elements in songs. The more I grok them, the more I find them a problem. I’d change Parts every two Patterns if it was possible, but as it stands doing so means changing Banks just to access more Parts. Give me a new Part/Kit per pattern (like the MD/MNM) and I’ll be infinitely happier.

Finally…midi scenes. I can understand the clusterfuck of sending multiple CCs for 8 midi outputs, but I’d be content with just using the 4 CCs on page 1 so I could control an external filter with scenes. Leave Page 2 to only be controlled with P-Locks and LFO, but damn girl, give me a little room to do my thing.

All minor gripes, but I think they are reasonable and addressable for a machine in 2015, especially when you consider that something like the Machinedrum had many of these things covered a decade prior or more.

Good for some applications, but not a true solution for probabilistic triggers, because a trig with zero amp vol cuts off the previous trig. If you have long tails or lots of retrigs it would be nice to have those things keep going until another trigger happens rather than be cut off in the same place every time. I’d also like the %probability trigger to be scene-lockable so you could have a scene that mutes future trigs and lets retrigs play out with tons of modulation. % trigs would be big. For me at least.

An editor would be key. Elektron not assisting with Rusty’s editor is a real fail, but not creating their own editor is a double fail. I’m willing to be somewhat forgiving as I know they’ve been utilizing a lot of software development resources with Overbridge, but unless they are building a new Octatrack (and even then), there is no reason they couldn’t throw some man hours into an Octatrack editor. At the very least it would help to increase sales for those on the fence who Google the Octatrack and find pages of complaints. Personally, I find I can make due with things as they are, but I’d really welcome some better methods of organization.

I don’t see more static/flex machine slots as likely due to mathematical limitations. No worries, there are workarounds like chains. But Parts…give me twice as many Parts or more. 4 Parts per bank means I have to really limit what I can do with Patterns to get dynamic elements in songs. The more I grok them, the more I find them a problem. I’d change Parts every two Patterns if it was possible, but as it stands doing so means changing Banks just to access more Parts. Give me a new Part/Kit per pattern (like the MD/MNM) and I’ll be infinitely happier.

Finally…midi scenes. I can understand the clusterfuck of sending multiple CCs for 8 midi outputs, but I’d be content with just using the 4 CCs on page 1 so I could control an external filter with scenes. Leave Page 2 to only be controlled with P-Locks and LFO, but damn girl, give me a little room to do my thing.

All minor gripes, but I think they are reasonable and addressable for a machine in 2015, especially when you consider that something like the Machinedrum had many of these things covered a decade prior or more. [/quote]
Yeah I figured. To be honest though, now I’ve used it a bit and are setting up our live set there, with chains, it’s not really that much of a problem as I thought it would be.

However, I wish at least I could move patterns around easier - but as you say, with copy/paste/delete you get around. To be honest, it is also a bit zenlike to not work with a screen, and at least for house music, like we do, it is easier to keep the groove with limitations. So I am falling more and more in love with it.

However, I do wish I could import midi-clips.

you can build very close to one soundwise by using the many filters + scenes. it’s not carrier and modulator, but it’s cool sounding regardless. :slight_smile:
would need envelope follower to do it for real and imo some tools for scene management or interpolation.

would love a drum/ multi map mode for the midi sequencer. really like doing percussion or triggering patterns with octatrack, but 2 things:

1. constrain each of the note ranges so you can turn on and off specific sounds without going through ones you don’t want to trigger. like if you’re triggering on a general midi map, bass drum is note 1 and then if you want hi hats at the same time that’s 0 for off, +7, +9. would be great to just twist dials of all four of your notes triggering different sounds and have them end up in the right place.

doing note locks and clears is kinda the nuclear option. :slight_smile: and i can’t remember exactly, but i think your notes get triggered while you are in process of dialing in the locking and the sequencer runs over then now? have to double check. i’ve been copying and pasting then muting and changing for so long. would be exciting to use all 8 tracks at once. :slight_smile:

when triggering patterns of tracks on like machinedrum or anything wouldn’t have to worry about over shooting or when using lfos to modulate it’d be easier to dial in the depth.constraints to hit the right notes. would make it easier to plan out roughly what patterns get triggered on the other elektron boxes too.

1. re-name tracks or notes. like if i’m triggering a big multi map of sounds on the analog4 and jumping back and forth between audio and midi it would really help to have a reminder at least of what box i’m triggering.

only one thing I miss atm: a more high res pitch tuner. 0,1 instead of 0,2 intervals

more sick distortion-FX

get rid of parts and give us kits. or keep parts and let us have a list of all parts which we can use as if they were kits.

Needs a pop up window with full parameter names whenever a knob is being touched or a virtual switch turned off or on. Like to deactivate time stretching you need to put a knob called TMSTR into an off. But you have to know what TMSTR mean, etc. On A4 and Rytm there is a pop up screen due to small screen sizes, but one here would be great too.

The arranger does this![/quote]
ah, thatś good news. so i can clock the analog rytm with an octatrack. is it possible to load a AR-song via the OT? Maybe even via the sequencer?

cheers
dave

I’d love the option of assigning LFOs across tracks, like on the MD. You could for example duck the bass on every kick hit or whatever.

i tend to think we’ll get what we’re given, but…

• improved timestretch algorithms (currently bassy/complex sounds sound bad when stretched)

• longer max recorder steps (128 instead of 64), memory allocation allowing

AMP -options on mastertrack

A zoom out function on longer waveforms in the audio editor that allows to see the entire file & clearly shows the play point. Currently only zooms out to a certain distance then have to scroll waveform. Would be of great use when djing from machine. Or alternatively a countdown of the no of samples/bars/time left on a track’s audio file while playing.