Octatrack OS Bug Reports

Ah thanks for that didn’t see it…Such a shame for Elektron not to sticky a Bugs thread so any of us can help them to maintain a more stable OS.Also a sticky thread about feature request would be fantastic and extremely creative.Well…guessing i’m night dreaming here…

The phenomena of fixes breaking other things often happens in software when you have new developers working on an existing code base without the benefit of having the original developers around.

Having an automated test suite, unit tests, and a rigorous regression test plan in place goes some way to mitigating the problem. However the OT is a complex machine and if in fact the original developers have moved on/out, then the likelihood of having a comprehensive set of fixes/features/cleanup (i.e. - finally ‘fixing’ the issues) is very small.

Most probably we’ll see fixes and small changes trickle out until they decide to completely shelve it. So don’t hold out hope for big things like Pickup Machines playing nice with external clocking or any of the other long-standing difficult issues.

The phenomena of fixes breaking other things often happens in software when you have new developers working on an existing code base without the benefit of having the original developers around.

Having an automated test suite, unit tests, and a rigorous regression test plan in place goes some way to mitigating the problem. However the OT is a complex machine and if in fact the original developers have moved on/out, then the likelihood of having a comprehensive set of fixes/features/cleanup (i.e. - finally ‘fixing’ the issues) is very small.

Most probably we’ll see fixes and small changes trickle out until they decide to completely shelve it. So don’t hold out hope for big things like Pickup Machines playing nice with external clocking or any of the other long-standing difficult issues.[/quote]
Definitely not holding out for any significant changes. Pretty bummed to pay a grand for a machine that isn’t finished, might never be finished, though. OT is way overpriced by today’s standards. The code/work flow is the main value of the unit… ram, screen, dsp/cpu etc are outdated now, build quality is pretty good but if the code isn’t 100% and has bugs then it shouldn’t be sold as this ‘super boutique’ sampler. They’ve had enough time to sort this all out now. They should have addressed OT bugs before they buried themselves in overbridge.

LOL. What sophisticated instrument is “100 %” and has no bugs? What machine compares with the OT in terms of functions? Why do you say it’s overpriced when …

…[/quote]
…[/quote]

LOL. What sophisticated instrument is “100 %” and has no bugs? What machine compares with the OT in terms of functions? Why do you say it’s overpriced when …

…[/quote]
…[/quote]

[/quote]
LOL you missed the point.

…[/quote]
…[/quote]

[/quote]
Just because I said I’d never get rid of mine because there is no other machine that really competes as far as code goes (ableton+ a cheap laptop aside) that doesn’t really qualify as my validating the OT’s high price so long after release. You ever been on a ferry and had to pay like £2.50 for a bag of crisps or something because there are no other options? It’s bullshit right? Maybe you’re someone who’d argue that because there are no other options available in the middle of the ocean then that’s fair enough and it’s worth it. I always think it just sucks…

Feels like I bitch too much on here. Just frustrated that I had freezes instantly on my OT cos of the ‘auditioning samples in flex slots in realtime’ crash problem. That was months ago and I still can’t update my machine because the fix for that issue has caused other os problems. Real-time audition is a huge part of work flow for a lot of people and using static instead isn’t always feasible. Just give me the machine/functions I paid for and I’ll STFU :wink:

No-one likes being gouged by a monopoly, but that’s not the case here: there are plenty of other software and hardware instruments to choose from, including secondhand OTs.

It just struck me as interesting that you were saying that the OT is both “way overpriced” and irreplaceable. Thought experiment: how much would you sell your OT for?

(Edit: just saw your post immediately above this one. Those crashes suck and let’s hope Elektron fixes it quickly, as they for sure should.)

Problem for me is half the time I dont know if its user error or bugs with the OT.

Where’s that analogback? he’s got the scope on the OT.

…[/quote]
…[/quote]

[/quote]
Just because I said I’d never get rid of mine because there is no other machine that really competes as far as code goes (ableton+ a cheap laptop aside) that doesn’t really qualify as my validating the OT’s high price so long after release. You ever been on a ferry and had to pay like £2.50 for a bag of crisps or something because there are no other options? It’s bullshit right? Maybe you’re someone who’d argue that because there are no other options available in the middle of the ocean then that’s fair enough and it’s worth it. I always think it just sucks… [/quote]
it’d only suck if the bag of chips (crisps to you brits) were stale
and i guess
some could say the OT has gone stale.

You lot on the forum are the testers. I suspect that the developers musicianship can only go so far. You lot are always so inventive and creative in the way you use your OT’s so if anyone can find something that broke after an update you are the people to do it.

I have to say much to their credit that they Elektron respond pretty fast hence the emergence of E to H pretty fast.

However I guess it can be frustrating for you guys that use it live whereas as a newbie hobbyist it doesn’t affect me so much.

i’m still on 1.25d, not touching the new os until its steady.
no issues with bugs here, it runs fairly smooth but i don’t use pickup machines so… ?
if you have problems with normal use, its safe enough to assume human error !!

Hello! I just bought a new octatrack yesterday with os 1.25D installed. Is D a stable version or should I update to the new os? Thank you.

Yeah the recent flurry of updates is vaguely encouraging. Though after 4+ years I’d have thought there shouldn’t really be any major bugs remaining and that things would have been tried to get sorted before moving so much energy to new things (over bridge…). I know the code is probably insanely complicated but unless there are some new features added in an OS it seems like others have mentioned that it’s just a case of ‘choose your bug’ rather than choose your os version, which isn’t the most inviting/exciting proposal… Like everyone else says/thinks, I’d LOVE to see some of the seemingly straight forward os addition suggestions taken on board and implemented by elektron on the current OT before they hang up OT development. But if that’s unrealistic then hopefully they can at least get rid of all the current problems in one OS version. Can’t be an easy job for them but no one forced them to sign up for it…

OS 1.30B

pumbugs

still wrong after at least 3.5 years

1 Like

Could you sum up what’s wrong ?

well, there’s two modes of playing pickup machines which don’t exist

a slave with no marking and a master with too many markings

1 Like

Something strange.
Octatrack midi out > Mpc 500 in.
Empty sequence in Mpc 500.

Bank 2, I have a Thru on track 2, and no trigs nor midi channels on midi tracks. If I unmute midi track 4, Mpc 500 is playing sounds !? :sketchy:

Bank 1, only Static machines, DIR = 0, midi tracks playing Mpc 500, and I can hear it but, no Thru machines, no trigs ? :zonked:

If I mute Static track 2, it cut the incoming sound.
It is like Bank 1 and Bank 2 were with shared settings, but I didn’t copy any part.

First time I have something that weird.
Any idea ? Halloween isn’t over ?

It was a new project, only midi tracks settings.
I changed to bank 2, only audio settings, tried to reproduce @alex3368 issue, worked well for me, but I found weird behaviors after, when I came back to bank 1.

Parts can be related with different banks ?
I didn’t do anything with parts, except changing Bank 2 / Patt 2 part in order to change Track 2 Thru to Flex. No copy at all.
I don’t understand Octatrack if Bank 2 parts changes can change Bank 1 parts. .

Anyway, I had midi notes out, without any midi channel set, and no trigs !
Octatrack sequencer can’t send notes without midi tracks, with midi channels set to off.
Audio tracks don’t send midi notes (Only Chromatic mode send). Nothing in Ot’s midi in.

Can’t do any serious test right now, @Open_Mike Thanks for clever clues, check them later.

I just hope I just made stupid mistakes, I shot a short video, too big for upload unfortunately.

It’s the first time after 3 years using Ot I ask about a weird behavior.
I mean a weird behavior I didn’t want ! :smile: