Octatrack + Nord Drum 3P

Nope.
Midi pad controller into OT. OT midi out to ND3P in.
Record your playing .
Tweak OT knobs.

just to be clear, you’re saying 3p midi out into ot and ot midi out into 3p, and it will work?

Should do. I dont have a ND3P but it makes sense to me.

As a saftey you could turn OT send midi notes off until you have recorded your pad playing.

Have you tried it?

na, don’t have the 3p yet

but if it can work with the ot like this without any extra investment then i might just have to get it

Won’t work. The 3P doesn’t send notes on Midi Out. It sucks but teah.

1 Like

It’s possible, but of course you will be restricted by the limits a step sequencer like the OT have (just one event per step possible).

That’s really unfortunate.
However. A solution could be, use an external midi pad controller, into OT, then midi out to Nord drum module.
No midi merger needed.

1 Like

Thats how i did it!

Works with a little help of a MIDI processor

2 Likes

Haven’t tried it, but the ND3 should send tone pitch on cc MSB 31 and LSB 63. With the latest OS OT can send MSB and LSB, so it should be possible to record notes/tone value as played on the ND3 pads into an OT.

And this from the manual:

PITCH CONTROL ON INDIVIDUAL MIDI CHANNELS
If you record notes on a track set to an Individual MIDI Channel, you can
control the Tone pitch of the Nord Drum 3P channel with the actual MIDI
Note Numbers.
Set the Tone Pitch parameter to 60 if you want to match the
Tone pitch to the scale on a keyboard.

1 Like

It does send notes (and CC) on MIDI Out. You have to activate the global channel for that, though. Otherwise nothing goes out. I’ve set the pads to channels 1 to 6 and the global channel to 10. Works great.

2 Likes

Wow i had one with a digitakt and was told you could not send notes from thé Nord . Thats great

I actually imagine a row of ND3s with black/white coloured pads acting as an electronic xylophone…

1 Like

so when you play a pad, say the one set to channel 1, it updates the midi sequence of the track in the ot that is mapped to that channel?

No, it’s only sending notes on the global channel. Which makes sense, because the individual channels can actually be played chromatically via an external keyboard or sequencer. While each pad can obviously only ever play one fixed note. The only real drawback I see is that even CCs will only be sent on the global channel. Which makes it kind of tricky to use the 3P interface when you want to automate more than one pad. But, it’s not impossible. You just need to be aware of what’s happening and put some thought into the configuration.

1 Like
2 Likes

Blockquote[quote=“senor-bling, post:26, topic:149273”]
The only real drawback I see is that even CCs will only be sent on the global channel.
[/quote]

i don’t think this is correct. CCs can be sent on individual channels.

from my experience though, striking the pad will play the sound as it is set in the 3P and CCs can change it after the no e message from the pad.

I should have put it more precisely. It will only transmit CC on your global channel. Of course it can receive CC on each individual as well as on the global channel.

1 Like

Waw that malletstation is a crazy expensive MIDI controller for what it does… still a third of the price of some competitors though, i’m glad i chose guitar and not marimba :wink:

i hadn’t tested that so thanks. i guess i didn’t try to receive CCs from the ND3P at any point, only notes.

things i would love updated on this…

• notes transmitted per channel
  • ‘round robin’ style setting for 6 voice poly play.

waits for @sezare56 to explain how it’s possible with a midi processor :slight_smile: