Octatrack + Nord Drum 3P

I finally settled on this combo with the Nord Drum 3P in the mail.

Does anyone have this combo? I watched a really good YT video for Red Means Recording where he was rocking the Digitakt

What can the Octatrack do better and what’s the best approach to using it with the 3P?

3 LFOs per track.
Midi ARP (think sequencer inside a sequencer, all Modulatable by LFOs, trig conditions etc)
12 assignable CCs per track (in addition to pitch, velocity etc)

Enjoy.

4 Likes

Ah nice, you went with my idea in your FB post. :wink:

The Red Means Recording video with DT and ND3P is really cool and shows the pairing off well. I messaged him to see what cc parameters he used in the vid but got no reply unfortunately, but still, the be possibilities are endless.

Enjoy!

1 Like

I had the Nord drum 2 and some CC are a real pita to affect correctly since some of them operate on msb and lsb so you have to correctly sequence two CC’s in order to affect that parameter…

This is the case with many synths. As I’m sure you know, MSB and LSB give far greater resolution. With OT OS 1.40 LSB bank select has been added, though I haven’t tried it yet.

I don’t own an ND3 but I have used a friend’s extensively and we’ve used the OT to sequence the ND3 for live shows. The only MSB / LSB on the ND3 is Tone Pitch.

As already mentioned, having 3 LFO’s for each of the 6 parts/pads on the ND3 provides all sorts of possibilities. ND3 is the deepest drum synth in production as far as I know - IMO its sounds excellent. The FX can get noisy, but not a deal breaker. @abnoureldin Good choice!

2 Likes

ND3 has probably been my favorite purchase in the past year! Love the way it sounds. I’ve mostly been experimenting sampling my live playing into it as opposed to sequencing it (I’m going for loose, ambient textures normally)

Each track on the ND responds to a MIDI channel, so you could use the MIDI arp on 6 different channels to affect pitch for that track. It also can play notes on a global channel, could be cool to some combination of the two… e.g. use MIDI arp on global channel to bounce between different hi-hat sounds and then use individual channels for the rest of the tracks.

Lots of possibilities, enjoy :slight_smile:

4 Likes

nord drum dynamic envelopes are awesome, 100% latency free synthesis but with velocity dependant filters and pitch swell and fm modulation, it can be organic never-the-same-sample-twice acoustic drum sound but synthetic/metallic sustained like a bell or distorted like a sledge hammer on a dumpster

5 Likes

I was also looking to pair a ND3 with my OT.
As soon as I have a house i’ll go for it :wink:

1 Like

I’m considering this as well! Had one and loved it with the DT. But with OT it might be even better. Thought about it due to the syntakt appearing!

Question: is the ND3 Able to handle 3 LFO’s? The DT made it a bit quirky when life recording cc parameters.

i’m interested in the idea of playing the pads, recording the midi into the ot midi sequencers (which in turn will trigger the 3p), and then live-tweaking the 3p’s parameters from the ot. is that possible or would i need a midilooper and splitter for that kind of functionality?

1 Like

Nope.
Midi pad controller into OT. OT midi out to ND3P in.
Record your playing .
Tweak OT knobs.

just to be clear, you’re saying 3p midi out into ot and ot midi out into 3p, and it will work?

Should do. I dont have a ND3P but it makes sense to me.

As a saftey you could turn OT send midi notes off until you have recorded your pad playing.

Have you tried it?

na, don’t have the 3p yet

but if it can work with the ot like this without any extra investment then i might just have to get it

Won’t work. The 3P doesn’t send notes on Midi Out. It sucks but teah.

1 Like

It’s possible, but of course you will be restricted by the limits a step sequencer like the OT have (just one event per step possible).

That’s really unfortunate.
However. A solution could be, use an external midi pad controller, into OT, then midi out to Nord drum module.
No midi merger needed.

1 Like

Thats how i did it!

Works with a little help of a MIDI processor

2 Likes

Haven’t tried it, but the ND3 should send tone pitch on cc MSB 31 and LSB 63. With the latest OS OT can send MSB and LSB, so it should be possible to record notes/tone value as played on the ND3 pads into an OT.

And this from the manual:

PITCH CONTROL ON INDIVIDUAL MIDI CHANNELS
If you record notes on a track set to an Individual MIDI Channel, you can
control the Tone pitch of the Nord Drum 3P channel with the actual MIDI
Note Numbers.
Set the Tone Pitch parameter to 60 if you want to match the
Tone pitch to the scale on a keyboard.

1 Like