Octatrack MKII (MK2/2nd Gen) specific bugs thread

OK, I see! So it seems like I can also enter LIVE RECORDING mode. Just wasn’t aware I was in it because of the lamp not blinking. Good that it’s been noticed. Let’s hope it will be fixed.

Hi,
bought my mk2 today and it´s unuseable. Played with the demo project because i´m a noob and just wanted to have a look.

Within the first minutes the “cross fader indicator” on the screen just jumps to B or will randomly jump around. After a few seconds then the Octa freezes or it just don´t play but i can go through the menus.

I have an unusual one that has cropped up twice, but this might be a case of new user syndrome.

1. Switch to MIDI mode and put together a 16-step sequence to send out to an external instrument. Plug that instrument’s output into A-B.
  2. Enter recording setup (let’s say Track 1). Set the length to 16 and quantize it to PLEN. Have it record A-B.
  3. Add a record trig to step one. Make it a repeating trig, not a one-shot trig.
  4. Set Track 1’s machine to Flex and assign the Recorder 1 buffer to it.
  5. Pepper that track with some playback trigs.

I’m not using an LFOs or P-Locks, just this recording skeleton. The behavior that I’m seeing is that the recording buffer seems to get misaligned and that the playback will sound different every time that I hit play. At first, I thought that it might be reading leftover contents in the buffer, but if I go to the recording setup, the visual indicators for read/write position seem to show that I should expect more predictable behavior (i.e. the read head is not jumping ahead of the record head, so it doesn’t look like it’s reading prior data).

I’ve had this happen with the 0-coast and the Volca FM.

(Side note: this is a fantastic device. I wish I would have gotten on the Octatrack train sooner!)

1 Like

Sample/Track integrity?!?

Hi,
Having another exploration of the new device today; pretty much devoted last night and all of today to learning more about it.
However, while trying to learn how to record with a one off trigger for the transition trick, I’ve found that the recorder that in recording into (recorder 8 assigned to track 8) there are remnants of that recording “bleeding” into a completely different sample loop on track one.
So, track one, playing a nice percussion loop, suddenly on about the 3rd quarter note, throws up some weird sound. I press the AED button to try to see what is happening to the sample, and the screen shows a completely different loop. Then, after it plays for 2 or 3 bars, while I’m watching it, it jumps back to the original loop and the weird noise disappears.
I’ve found weird things like this happening off and on last night and this morning.
This isn’t being caused by plocks with sample changes; this is happening without any instruction or intervention from me.

Xvol on scenes doesn’t work consistently

I haven’t had any freezes.

The known XVOL and unlit REC light (when realtime recording bugs) are present in my machine.
I am fine using scenes mapped to AMP VOL (not ideal for all uses, but good enough for mine), and just watching the OLED screen for the blinking REC dot in the meantime.

Went 3.5 hours last night with it, never stopping the transport. Overdub recording my Rytm and Monologue with pickup machines, also chopping some flex phrases, and even LFO automating slice start on 3 static machines at at time. Played back some huge backing tracks as well, using all the tracks.

No hiccups.

Hoping to do a similar stress test this evening, but adding MIDI sequencing of my Roland TM-2 as well.

FWIW, I’m using a 64GB Sandisk Extreme CF.

2 Likes

Sample (AED) screen. Let it sit too long, whole box freezes. Needs to be restarted.

How long? Be specific, please.

Working on reproducing this.

Must have been 10 minutes or so. I filed a ticket. I have been working on sampling today, so I don’t know if it’s just that screen.

I am 22 minutes in and cannot reproduce from a Flex Slot.

Where are you accessing the AED from? A record buffer? Static slot? Flex Slot?

What I typically do is take track 1, and assign a flex machine. Then I select recording1.
Setup my inputs, sample and manipulate through the AED screen.

This time I was working and it froze. Not happy. Same crap was happening with my Digitakt. They better fix this quick, I can’t deal with freezing issues.

Mine just froze while the sequencer was running, just playing a few very short samples on a couple of static tracks. I will swap both the power supply and the CF card just to be sure. I‘ve had at least 5-6 freezes within 30 minutes of fiddling with it. Crossfader keeps going haywire, too. I‘m seriously considering returning it as long as I still can.

This was on a brand new project. No samples assigned. Track 1 setup for recording1 and that’s it. 63.9M free.
Oh man I want to be on the Elektron train. I returned the DT to get this because of all the issues. If it’s an OS issue and it’s going to be fixed, I can wait, but I can’t use the thing like this. If this thing does not work out, I’m out completely of music. I’ve had a ton of devices in the past year. Still have a MPC Live and a Toraiz. I’m pretty bummed.

I cannot reproduce any freezing under these conditions.

Have you tried reproducing this while in demo mode (to trouble shoot if it is a CF card issue) ?

I thought demo mode does not allow sampling? If you think it’s the card, I’m going to get one now. Will this one work?

Same problem here. Crossfader problem and freezing. I received the unit yesterday. Worked about 3 hours at most and had about 10+ freezes!

I’ve noticed also that just before crash there were some odd sounding quirks that i noticed on my kickdrum. I thought its a distortion and i need to level down but that was not the case. After reboot there was no quirks.

I’m also considering returning this unit. This device is not usable !

But I understand that there are devices that does not have that issues right ?

I don’t know if it is the card. Hence the troubleshooting measures.

When you are in the AED screen, are you sampling? or just editing a sample you’ve just made. You can access the AED screen in demo mode.

Either way, I’d try to reproduce it in demo mode first. If you cannot reproduce it, I would suspect an issue with the CF card. At the minimum it is good information to report on your support ticket and help Elektron isolate the actual issue, speeding up the process to a remedy.

FWIW, I use a 64GB Sandisk Extreme, and aside from known bugs with the rec button light (realtime rec) and the XLV/XVOL scene issues, I have not had any issues.

So there is an issue where the XVOL does not work in scenes? I thought it was me, being a noob. I will try this later on when I get back on the device. When I was in the AED screen, I had a sample I just recorded. Just sitting there, waiting for it to be manipulated.

Then it froze, then I restarted and I loaded a FT to Track 1, loaded Recording 1, wasn’t even in the AED screen and the box froze.

I hear you barking Adam. I’ll try this later in demo mode with a new card and see what happens.

and I’ll try to reproduce this on the 16GB Kingston that the OT MKII shipped with. I’ve been using this card as an additional backup, and I’d also like to know if it has issues.