Octatrack MKII / INPUT C/D LED blinking without any input and nothing

1.30 c : )

I have this issue too. It has never affected anything audio-wise, as far as I can tell anyway, and it only seems to happen if there’s nothing connected. If I plug in a jack, then remove it, the input indicator stops lighting up. I’ve never seen it do it when there’s something plugged in.

I guess the indicator lights automatically adjusts their sensitivity too high when there’s no input. I guess when we plug something in it spikes the input level briefly, and that calibrates it a bit.

MK2, 1.30C

1 Like

always thought this is a feature and not a bug. you can sample it and have some free noise! :slight_smile:

Can you hear extra input from the port on your OT with nothing connected? I thought it was just a visual problem.

(more than just normal noise floor, I mean)

My mkII does this too, aside from being distracting it doesn’t bother me, what I think is that the sensitivity of the A-D reading needs a firmware tweak, it could even be the lubrication inside the jack sockets are causing the fluctuations. If you have something plugged in (even a dummy jack plug) the problem goes away. 1.30D here.

4 Likes

This is an issue with the first batch of Octatracks MKII. The inputs works fine when it has something plugged in to it, but when there is nothing plugged in there is noise on the inputs. As most of you don’t use the inputs when there is nothing connected, you will not be affected by this noise but the flickering inputs are annoying.

Contact support and they will help you with a warranty repair.

It has to do with a few components that has the wrong value and needs to be removed. This in combination with tiny amounts of oxide(that will always form) causes noise on the inputs. It’s the combination that causes the issue and neither of them alone will cause this. This is why inserting a cable and removing it sometimes helps as it removes oxide.

It will not affect audio and just affects units from the first batch.

16 Likes

Thanks @Olle for clarification :thup:

1 Like

Nice one :thup:

Anyone sent in a box for repair from the UK? Not sure how much it would cost in postage. Bit of a wounder cause I’ll miss it while it’s gone. Does this sort of thing usually take long?

It’s a quick repair but unsure how the queue looks like after the holidays. Support will be able to give you an estimate when they open again on Tuesday.

Shipping usually works like this:

If it’s bought from us, we cover and arrange the shipping.

If it’s bought from a retailer, they cover and arrange the shipping.

If bought from a retailer but you want to send it to us directly or that it’s second hand and therefore retailer will not cover it, we will split the shipping cost. You cover the shipping here and we cover the return shipping. We can arrange shipping in this case as well.

US is different then Europe and it really depends on your retailer if they will help you or not. That’s why the warranty(from us/factory warranty) is tied to the unit and not to the customer to try to make it as fair as possible as there are so many rules and regulations world wide.

7 Likes

I’m scared to send mine in all the way from canada, I love it so much! aha I guess I’ll have to after the new years. I’m happy I asked here

1 Like

We have a US office that can do the fix as well if that feels closer.

4 Likes

@olle thanks so much for chiming in!! I’ll contact support some time early next year.

I have the same issue, flickering light on input “B” + noise… I had started to worry about it, but now I know what it’s about. Will make a support ticket to Elektron…

yeah, it’s really audible. maybe you need to gain it a little more, but works well - very interesting noise!

ah, just understood the problem, its also audible if you monitor it via the mixer page. but plugging anything in even a dead-end adapter eliminates the problem.

1 Like

Seems very weird test. Normalized? Zoomed in?
Because of course, you can sample low noise from imputs, and increase it, to make interesting noise indeed. The fact it is not stereo is weird.

Please give more details about those tests, so that other people having that issue can reproduce it.

(tried to reproduce for a video, but cant get any of those inputs to ‘blink’ at the moment ;))

what i did for the screens:

selected flex on track 3, set up REC3 to record only from channel A. hit T3+RECAB, pressed stop, started the wave editor, zoomed in 1 step i guess (you can see the zoomlevel on the right and top). no further processing. screenshotted.

then same procedure wih recording from channel B only.

Thanks for precisions. I’m an MkI owner but still curious about that, wanting a 2nd OT.

More tests needed, as you seem to be the first one to say it is noisy when you see blinking lights!

REC3 is SRC3 recording for MKII
T3 + RECAB is INAB recording for MKI
?

got a bit mixed up with terms, meant record buffer 3 setup! :slight_smile: sorry! was able to reproduce it (even if it appears on random channels now):

2 Likes

@Olle can you tell us what serial numbers are affected by this? Thanks!

i’ve been avoiding doing this cause i’d rather not be without my OT and its not caused me a real problem but I decided I should probably get it sorted out. i’m trying to register my octatrack on the elektron website so I can open a support ticket but its saying product not found when I enter my serial number. what should I do?