Octatrack MKII info

Yeah, everyone knew there was going to be the all-black regular version and we all guessed what it would look like. There was never any need to pony up the extra cash for the AE if all you wanted was a black Octatrack.

3 Likes

Exactly this. I wanted to get myself something special for the OT which is machine that always impressed me. There is no competition lol

4 Likes

i I bought the AE for the exclusivity of there only being 350 in the world,and the Red buttons. Its hardly much more than what the black version will cost and was a no brainer.

4 Likes

Thomann is showing 7-10 weeks :grimacing:

Kytari has sold the OT AE for ÂŁ1199 from ÂŁ1799 soon after the OT black
news

1 Like

It seems many grey OT owners want to buy a black case. I’m one of them. I think it’s unlikely that Elektron will be happy with users opening up OTs, perhaps they should only allow it for units with expired warranty, or make clear that this would void the warranty.

Changing the case is not totally trivial, but I’m confident I could do it, I took apart the DT before and it was pretty straight forward (and I put it back together too, hah).

1 Like

I guess it would make sense, it might prevent a lot of grey units appearing on 2nd hand market. Personally I really like the grey and don’t need all my gear the same colour, I wonder if a send in and exchange policy might be a good idea, the grey cases could be recycled/repainted, but my guess is that it might be too expensive for customers and Elektron to be viable.

It makes no business sense for them to support this imho and I don’t expect they will - it should be a service for genuine damage or warranty fixes - generating extra shells for the eventuality that users are changing their mind wouldn’t be a great thing for the environment or their stock rooms- the only precedent I recall is that they refused a (let’s just say volatile) user to replace his due to a negligible scuff, he then decided to deliberately trash that faceplate and they still refused so as to retain the low stock for cases of genuine merit

same goes for folk after the red buttons, sure they make the function super clear and look great, but it would be to the detriment of the people who paid a premium for the Anniversary model

Anyway - on that point, and back on topic, the new ‘regular’ black is obviously the most badass version, it has the best overall minimal badass vibe, but it made me realise how solid the grey one actually is in terms of being on top of the interface, it’s not as cool, but it’s more transparent (albeit that the white on grey contrast is not so good) - I’m thinking that the grey is (for me) the better choice - but no doubt the regular black is the most photogenic - I personally don’t get why folk are so caught up on chasing the grey>black option - there’s not much in it adding the subjective and objective things up, nonetheless, it’s probably best to trade up by selling first if that’s your preference, I don’t see Elektron selling the chassis or record buttons for cosmetic purposes

7 Likes

But which model will Cenk be using in his demo videos? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It would match my OctaShock MkII Black Edition

1 Like

Actually, this album is playing from time to time at the office!

1 Like

This is the real question!

Makes sense.

At this point I’ll take any color OT if it works. I just received my second defective new unit (grey) in a row
 must have been a bad batch :slightly_frowning_face:

Elektron support was very responsive on the first defective unit, still waiting to hear back about number 2 (neither of these were purchased direct from Elektron).

I had a MK1 a while ago but the features in the new OS really sold me on picking one up again.

1 Like

Damn that is bad luck, what were the issues? Might be quicker to go via retailer with holiday upon us?

I’m sending them both back to the retailer but not sure how to make sure I’m getting a unit from another batch (if that’s a thing). Was wondering if I should send one to Elektron and get a tested replacement direct from them.

When holding FUNC + ARR, the screen would flash the arranger mode screen on/off rapidly, and sometimes trigger the PROJ LED to illuminate and the project page to open. The first unit then stopped booting past the logo screen. The issue with the second unit is similar but more intermittent and it still boots.

It’s definitely a downer, but I understand that things like this happen. Mainly I had gotten my hopes up to spend time with it over the holidays, but also appreciate how luxurious a problem that is to have.

march??!!!

March ?
To me it says : 28 déc. 2020

Says March 7 for me :sleeping:

1 Like