Octatrack MKI encoder issue - jumping values

The contact cleaner that comes in a little red tube.

1-2 drops is enough

Thanks for replying, but thatā€™s not very specific. Iā€™m in Germany, so I need to identify the exact product that is best for Elektron encoders in whatever country someone has successfully used it, and then identify the local analogue to that product. I have seen F5 Faderlube mentioned more often than other kinds of DeOxit here because it includes a lubricant.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/293572241265?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=710-134428-41853-0&mkcid=2&itemid=293572241265&targetid=1002478263325&device=t&mktype=pla&googleloc=9044978&poi=&campaignid=10195652396&mkgroupid=107296306052&rlsatarget=pla-1002478263325&abcId=1145987&merchantid=7264554&gclid=CjwKCAiA_9r_BRBZEiwAHZ_v1-Ry-0v6EpfMPUNPBQ8v6azdsD9FBITkK_wp5MwG0SSm8y5fBBldERoC70cQAvD_BwE

Lubricant will put matter in between the contacts and ruin the encoder. You need contact cleaner.

To be fair the product description of DeoxIT also reads:

DeoxITĀ® contact cleaner is a fast-acting de-oxidising solution that cleans, protects, lubricates and improves conductivity on all metal connectors and contacts.

I clean them with sanitary alcohol. Dirt is not the main problem here. The encoders stop making contact due to the number of times we push them inwards.

The important thing is that you return the encoder legs to their original position. Forcing them even a little out. I did this with a toothpick so as not to scratch the metal. By prying and pushing each of the 3 legs of each encoder outwards.

The legs must protrude outwards approximately 1.5mm. But donā€™t worry that when you mount it again they find their position. The important thing is that the legs put more pressure on the contact ring.

I hope I can help

4 Likes

Thanks. I suspect that a drop or two of Faderlube might help in my case because I made my encoder much worse when I did something stupid a few days ago to it.

The encoder was jumping values (as described in this thread), so I took the cap off and noticed that it looked like some dirt had accumulated in the gaps between the encoder shaft and the panel. I didnā€™t do my research before taking action (and was generally ignorant about how encoders work), so I used a ~1.5mm flat-head screwdriver (for adjusting trimmers) to try to dig out those particles from the edges of the encoder shaft. This made the encoder lose a lot of sensitivity: it now takes 10 full turns to go from 0 to 127 (while all other encoders take 5-6 turns). I suspect that I removed some of the grease from the shaft in doing this.

In any case, I will definitely try adjusting the encoder legs, because the original value-skipping problem is probably due to the problem you mentioned (it is indeed the encoder Iā€™ve pressed the most). I just hope that I can undo the damage I caused by attempting to mechanically remove the dust/dirt that I thought I saw around the shaft, and here is where Caig F5 Faderlube sounds possibly useful.

( @Olle of Elektron has specifically said the Faderlube variety is recommended for encoders and potentiometers @ Drinks And Shots all over my Dark Trinity - #12 by Olle )

This worked a charm! Thank you so much. Glad I didnā€™t have to send it in for repair.

2 Likes

Thanks so much for this tip! I fixed 4 encoders on my OT and 1 on my A4 this way.

2 Likes

I know this is old topic but I wanted to add that tonight I removed the seven encoders using the method shown in the YouTube video (4 of them were jumpy, so I did them all). It took about two hours and was frustrating, but when I plugged it back in, all the encoders were smoothly outputting values with no jumping. Hallelujah!

1 Like

This really is the best advice - the three little slivers of metal on the small black ring were flat on my dodgy encoder. I pushed them up and hey presto!

I did the encoder tab fix today on all my encoders and it worked a treat so thank you! I originally only had one or 2 a bit jumpy but most werenā€™t able to scroll quickly without clicking in but now itā€™s like new. Woohoo!

Now to find some replacement knobs. I tried cleaning with bicarb and a bit of water. It cleaned then a bit but still a little yellowed. Anywhere we can buy straight replacements? I do like the softer feel of these knobs as opposed to the common hard plastic.

Elektron will sell them to you

1 Like

Oh ok. Didnā€™t spot them on the site so Iā€™ll shoot them an email. Hopefully just the knobs are available seeing I donā€™t need the actual encoders anymore. Will check it out. Cheers!

You have to email their support dept.

1 Like

I love u for thisā€¦ It fixed my problem after a long long time it even made me not use my octatrack for more then a year the encoder replacement is such a drag to do thanks so much
This fix it takes away so much irritation I had during live gigs, No more!!! thanks to U !!! mmm I wonder if this would do the same to my MD MKI that would be a god send

Great tips, thank you everyone! I got a used OT MkI with one potentiometer jumping/getting stuck. Cleaned it out with alcohol (was very dirty and already had visible tracks grinded into the base), straightened the contacts, after which it worked incredibly well.

The feel is now less soft due to the grease missing - any tips which grease would be good? Faderlube, Deoxit etc. seem to be tricky to get in Europe. Dielectric grease maybe? Sewing machine lubricant?