Octatrack MK2 problems (particularly the screen)

:smiley:

Yes, minus the mums middle name… . No bank account info either, socks yes!

Our piano is also only serviced when we share a part of our identity with the friendly company who made it.

Everybody’s privacy mileage may vary, of course.

1 Like

Check your spam folder. Warranty issues, spare parts and repairs are usually replied to within a week. Other questions might currently be slower.

3 Likes

No worries… Thanks
Not in Spam… Check that daily.
I managed to take the front panel off and wiggle the button a bit - which seems to have fixed the stickiness for now :slight_smile:
Would recommend anyone else to try that first also…

send it for repair… you pay that much for hardware… same with the push mentioned above… have never had this problem with push 2

2 Likes

log into your account on the elektron website… i thought i wasn’t getting responses but they are in there instead of email

1 Like

What is wrong if I may ask? Have you tried just emailing support?

Well its a long story but basically recurring intermittent encoder issues, and a screen issue, and input LEDs flashing with nothing plugged in. I did send an email yesterday but not had a reply yet, so thought I’d check here in the meantime on the forum if the ticket issues are happening to others too.

Part of the problem is the OTmkII has had very little use and the nature of the encoder fault is intermittent so I thought it had resolved itself initially so I held off on the offer of an exchange unit as I don’t like wasting peoples time.

The screen problem seems to be getting worse, it has a line across the middle which is less bright and seems to fluctuate, also there is some burn in as you can see from this picture - I bought it new January 2018 and for most of that year it wasn’t used much for various reasons.

1 Like

Here is another picture of the screen, see the difference in contrast/brightness on the bottom 7 or 8 lines? Well that happens in the middle of the screen too at times.

Here is the dark section in the middle and also notice now the top has a problem too.

The dimness appears to be related to the power management of the screen. Not sure if it can be addressed in software or if it’s just a limitation of the hardware. The more pixels lit in a horizontal row, the dimmer the overall row. This is why it seems to move or fluctuate.

The burnin is definitely an issue with OLED, where you can see some of the main UI boxes against a white background of audio editor. I have similar burnin on my MKII.

3 Likes

its common. have it on all my boxes with those screens. doesn’t affect the sound :wink:

4 Likes

The line dimming on the OLED screens depends on how many pixels are lit on that row. It’s like there’s a finite amount of power per row so the more pixels are lit, the dimmer they all are on that row.

The burn-in is a separate issue.

4 Likes

A shame, my mk1 Octatrack had no screen issues at all in the 7 years I owned it, so in that sense regular old LCD is better. I do however much prefer the inverted screen and the viewing angle of the mkII OLED, but if these issues are happening in such a short time period and without frequent usage then I assume that they will get even worse over time, the DT and DN that I have don’t have these problems FWIW.

Seriously…you’ll start not noticing soon enough. The box is too sick to play with.

I too was kinda choked when I saw that on my DT. Now…I could care less. I even wanna say over time it went away?..but that’s most likely cuz I don’t see it anymore (Maybe it took time for the pixels to excite…dunno). Fun > (a few dimmed pixels) :slight_smile:

(I noticed it was prevalent in areas that had l large clusters of pixels in line with smaller groups of pixels…it looked like it would rob smaller groupings of power(my guess as it was different in different menus))

ive noticed since the last update the screen saver has really helped remove ghosting on my OT Mk2. The display looks bright and new now.

DAMN IT…you got me to look closely at my DT screen.
there is a shitload of finger prints on the INSIDE of the screen fuuuuuuuu

im a neat freak, dull pixels…I can live with. BUT DIRT…dude…

I need to know if I cant take the face off, not void warranty, and clean that screen. freakin GROSS! :face_vomiting:

adding: the dull strips of pixels I used to see…DO seem to have gone away. give your box a little time? perhaps it’ll get better.

:joy: :see_no_evil:

uh oh

I was already a lifer before I got the mkII :thup:

Yes you can. The warranty is void first if you damage something, but let support help you out instead. I’ve seen horrible attempts. Don’t open any unit up if you don’t know what you are doing. I would not recomend anyone to open up and remove the Rytm UI board as it’s hard to get back together in regards to the pads.

So, yes you are allowed to, but please don’t.

6 Likes

dont listen to @Olle just use some duct tape and a can opener and you’ll be fine. Crack that sucker open already! :laughing:

2 Likes

I’ve muck about with electronics a bunch. Am a C level solderer.
Been in my MD tons. Getting in the boxes is no issue. I only committed murder when I tried to replace my MD screen on my own. (Thanks again to elektron for helping me resurrect)
I also had to mod the MD faceplate to accommodate for the new UI board buttons to fit. No sweat.
Werd to screen replacement people…unless you are an A+ solderer DO NOT attempt screen replacement :+1:t6: It’s a tuff one.

So, if just opening to clean screen is cool (but not), then my neat freak side must clean! :slight_smile:

1 Like