Octatrack MK2 problems (particularly the screen)

its common. have it on all my boxes with those screens. doesn’t affect the sound :wink:

4 Likes

The line dimming on the OLED screens depends on how many pixels are lit on that row. It’s like there’s a finite amount of power per row so the more pixels are lit, the dimmer they all are on that row.

The burn-in is a separate issue.

4 Likes

A shame, my mk1 Octatrack had no screen issues at all in the 7 years I owned it, so in that sense regular old LCD is better. I do however much prefer the inverted screen and the viewing angle of the mkII OLED, but if these issues are happening in such a short time period and without frequent usage then I assume that they will get even worse over time, the DT and DN that I have don’t have these problems FWIW.

Seriously…you’ll start not noticing soon enough. The box is too sick to play with.

I too was kinda choked when I saw that on my DT. Now…I could care less. I even wanna say over time it went away?..but that’s most likely cuz I don’t see it anymore (Maybe it took time for the pixels to excite…dunno). Fun > (a few dimmed pixels) :slight_smile:

(I noticed it was prevalent in areas that had l large clusters of pixels in line with smaller groups of pixels…it looked like it would rob smaller groupings of power(my guess as it was different in different menus))

ive noticed since the last update the screen saver has really helped remove ghosting on my OT Mk2. The display looks bright and new now.

DAMN IT…you got me to look closely at my DT screen.
there is a shitload of finger prints on the INSIDE of the screen fuuuuuuuu

im a neat freak, dull pixels…I can live with. BUT DIRT…dude…

I need to know if I cant take the face off, not void warranty, and clean that screen. freakin GROSS! :face_vomiting:

adding: the dull strips of pixels I used to see…DO seem to have gone away. give your box a little time? perhaps it’ll get better.

:joy: :see_no_evil:

uh oh

I was already a lifer before I got the mkII :thup:

Yes you can. The warranty is void first if you damage something, but let support help you out instead. I’ve seen horrible attempts. Don’t open any unit up if you don’t know what you are doing. I would not recomend anyone to open up and remove the Rytm UI board as it’s hard to get back together in regards to the pads.

So, yes you are allowed to, but please don’t.

6 Likes

dont listen to @Olle just use some duct tape and a can opener and you’ll be fine. Crack that sucker open already! :laughing:

2 Likes

I’ve muck about with electronics a bunch. Am a C level solderer.
Been in my MD tons. Getting in the boxes is no issue. I only committed murder when I tried to replace my MD screen on my own. (Thanks again to elektron for helping me resurrect)
I also had to mod the MD faceplate to accommodate for the new UI board buttons to fit. No sweat.
Werd to screen replacement people…unless you are an A+ solderer DO NOT attempt screen replacement :+1:t6: It’s a tuff one.

So, if just opening to clean screen is cool (but not), then my neat freak side must clean! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m finding it EXTREMELY difficult to refrain…

1 Like

That’s the spirit!..

That’s the ghost!..

This ghost showed up not long ago, just some time after upgrading to 1.31.
I remember having a clean display with 1.30D upon entering display test mode.
I just noticed the screen irregularities today. Is the screen starting to die, or could this be a O.S related bug?
My unit is merely 1.5yrs old and had been lightly used during this time.

I’ve just noticed your post. I have a similar issue with my screen that has just show up during the past days probably. Any word back from elektron hq yet?

This is kind of inherent in these type of displays from what I understand. If it gets any worse I would send in a ticket though. I had the same issue until the latest OS update screen saver mode. Does yours dim after sitting for a while with no use and then the display go dark until you touch any of the keys or knobs? The dimming of the display is what cleared mine up. There will always be some ghosting though.

1 Like

Thanks for replying turbiville. I searched the forum back log and just discovered this thread MK2 Burn-In

The display dims, yes, after some idle time, after which the screen saver activates. I think I had my unit on for longer periods during the past week, as I’ve had more time to make music, and chose not to turn my units off regularly because I relied on the screen saver. Now that I know I caused myself this burn-in I’ll definitely turn them of when not using them for at least an hour.
From what I can see in other users experience it only gets worse from here. Though, in contrast, having the screen replaced will at some point (some sooner than others) have the same issue. I’ll keep using it for now, yes, and open a ticket when things get worse.
It took me by surprise to say the least, as just a couple of days ago my screen was spotless… this must have occurred very recently.
Beware folks. Take good care of your OLEDs… I know it’s a terrible advice after spending over 1k on a piece of kit, but that’s the truth.

Fwiw my a4 mk2, same age as the ot mk2, but used more often, shows signs of the same burn in issue… so yeah, it’s common… not impressed :frowning:… this calls for more music making!

Found this info on Adafruit forum:

“When an OEL display module is operated for a long of time with fixed pattern may remain as an after image or slight contrast deviation may occur. Nonetheless, if the operation is interrupted and left unused for a while, normal state can be restored. Also, there will be no problem in the reliability of the module.”

I believe these Adafruit screens are the same screens in Elektron machines, but I might be wrong (SSD13xx type)

I think that periodic inversion of the screen is also one potential solution, and of course turning the display off after a period of inactivity, as with the screen saver. Personally I think I’d be ok with it shutting off completely in 5 or 10 minutes if it extends the life.

4 Likes