Octatrack MK2 problems (particularly the screen)

I did the same, kind of. Unboxed it again and played with it. It was obviously great and one doesn’t notice the screen after a while. And my concern, I’ll repeat it one last time, was never an aesthetic concern. I was worried that my unit was broken… and then I was/am concerned that subpar components were used.

Yes, the Octatrack is a good machine. I have many ideas to realize with it.

Good night :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’ll just leave this here… https://www.oled-info.com/pmoled-vs-amoled-whats-difference

IMO, it’s not subpar for the application of musical instrument text display. As others have mentioned, it certainly doesn’t compare to a fancy smartphone AMOLED screen, so sure, you could think of it as subpar in comparison to that much more expensive screen.

Now I am at this point: as long as it is a functioning screen that will last, I am fine. I have started using the Octatrack.

Still, I think Elektron should really work on their public relations. You don’t just say “it’s normal” and leave it at that. Many dedicated users will take that and leave it there, but new users who freak out (that’s me) won’t. And then, if shit really hits the fan with a future product, then the dedicated users will also turn against the company.

1 Like

And now I realize that at least part of the problem is the use of gray. For example, the gray line used to highlight the sample slot for loading samples on tracks is gray and for some reason, extends beyond the window frame used to list the samples, and paints the track tabs gray too. This I am sure can be fixed with a firmware.

worryingly, the article posted above suggests that pmoled screens (presuming that this is what they are using) will have a lower lifespan due to the higher voltages needed to drive the display. so I guess time will tell…

one interesting point of the article seemed to suggest that the variable brightness of lines could be controlled by software; maybe it’s something that could be compensated for in a firmware update? who knows.

I get that this is a music making machine, but a lot of the interaction with it is via the screen and I can completely understand why some would be concerned/disappointed/OCD’d at seeing display issues and artifacts. particularly when this display is not only marketed as one of the major upgrade points of the Mk2, but the marketing materials show no sign of this issue.

5 Likes

Should I expect issues down the line with my mark 1 screen? Id be happy to buy a replacement screen to sit in a box somewhere if its gonna be an issue in the long run, I want it to last as long as possible

It’s a pretty standard part, replacements have been floating around ebay for ages and will probably continue to do so.

1 Like

Wow !

Watching from the back seats now, my mk2 a4 can wait a bit methinks.

11 posts were split to a new topic: Bickering sideshow

A post was merged into an existing topic: Bickering sideshow

I’m returning mine as soon as it arrives from B&H tomorrow. Not even opening the package.

My almost brand new MkI is working fine. So, will wait until I get the sense things have settled down.

This thread has possibly saved me a lot of grief and down time. Sorry to say, but I’m glad you folks are speaking out.

1 Like

It’s all just part of the ride. Sometimes it goes up and sometimes it goes down…
Sometimes folks are really helpful and to the point, sometimes things spiral off into strange Internet ego battles, it’s the latter that may end up getting moderated…
More can happen too. It’s always evolving and different every time, it’s just a ride…

3 Likes

I am allergic to censorship. I understand the reaction to using an offensive word and corrected it. Censoring regular but critical statements is oppressive.

1 Like

@korhanerel I understand your feelings, but this thread is about OT mk2 problems.
I suggest, if you’re ok with this, that you read my message in the discussion that started with Mods, and that we peacefully come to the end of this.
Moving such discussions that are out of topic is something we do, as Mods, for everyone to have some pleasure spending time here.

4 Likes

There’s no way I’d be able to contain my curiosity enough to keep the package closed. Plus, what if the issues don’t even bother you or aren’t even present in your model? Why’d you order the mk2 in the first place when you have a new mk1?

Hi Anfim -

I ordered the MkII precisely because I have a relatively new MkI. I thoroughly enjoy the OT.

But, that does not mean that I want to risk the problems that many are reporting - not just screen issues, but major crashes it seems. Why would I want to risk downtime when I have a device that performs?

If I would have come across this thread 3 or 4 days ago, I would not have ordered the MkII.

Would you have done differently?

Just saying I’d give it a shot before sending back, nothing to lose anyway!

If you want to play it safe, keep your current MKI, return the MKII wait 6 months to see if they sort their quality problems then try again.

they dont

Has anyone had any luck contacting Elektrons support regarding sticky buttons?
I have tried to send an email about 2 weeks ago to their support explaining that my OT MK2 has a sticky trigger button(13)… still have not heard back.
It is clearly the face plate being out of line with the button itself. A manufacturing fault.
Considering all Elektrons products come with a 3 year warranty - is there a reason they would not attend to this?
Thanks