Octatrack MK2 new§ weird behavior

Hello Elektronauts,

I’ve been an early adopter of the OT MK1 and used it several years before letting it aside. i
I just upgraded to the MK2 to resume the experience and send the MK1 to repair soon at elektron, some buttons seem broken.

• first quick tests with old SD card, old project on the new MK2 seemed fine
  • after couple of month abroad, i am back in the studio but now there seem to be a weird behavior I can’t see anywhere on the forum

I have last OS 1.40b
when using the new MK2 presets SD card, I can’t tweak ANY track parameter unless another key is pressed (parameter lock, scene lock…). I erased all scenes and removed pssible plocks on steps to make sure no hidden locks where infringing, but it continued behaving like that (from the headphone stereo output)

when using the old SD card and my old audio and projects, the same behavior happens, I can’t edit unless any parameter unless plocking/scene locking
BUT I have another bug-like behavior
audio tracks routed to master can’t be heard, only the CUEd one.
This happens in CUE mode normal and studio.
It could look like a personnal setting issue, but
This happens if ‘personal settings’ are left by default unchecked, in particular ‘cue /focuses and mix ‘
This happens if the ‘mix’ page shows the headphone should hear both CUE and Master, the cursor in the middle. Of course no tracks are muted, no track levels are locked by the scenes.

I’ve been struggling for two days, and it really doesnt look like the common ‘human errors’ but an OS issue (?). My old SD card has very old projects that generate errors at loading, so maybe it is somehow corrupted. But i dont get how it created a bug in OS1.40b used with the new clean MK2 card…
I’m about to copy my audiopool to a pc to rebuild a whole fresh set/project on a formatted new SD

Any comments before I erase a few years to start all over would be super appreciated, but i dont expect much, thanks already to those getting through all this suffering lol

Thanks, matt

If you have a Mk1 era CF card (OT does not have an SD slot), it is almost certainly time to buy a new card and transfer everything over.

Older CF cards had limited reads and writes before failure. Today’s cards have practically unlimited lifetime. Buy Sandisk or other premium brand, the cheap cards are made with chips that didn’t pass as many QC tests as the expensive ones, and the cost difference is usually only a few bucks.

DO NOT erase and reuse your old card. Keep it and spend the $30 on a new card!

8 Likes

Check MIDI > CONTROL, CC OUT. Maybe set to EXT. Should be INT or INT+EXT.

Can be related to CC OUT EXT :

No output coming from Octatrack - #60 by tengig

1 Like

Not a bad idea.
I did that for my old original card which was full. You can buy a new one too. It is good to have a CF backup card anyway.

You should be able to paste older projects in the new set (copy AUDIO and folders respecting original path), eventually in a different set.

1 Like

Thank you for the fast answer, its indeed a CF card.
I was planning to use the formatted new elektron one given with the mk2, but given what you say it seems safer to find my old pc backup sound library than ressurecting the old audio pool which could lead to new corruptions… :confused:

Time to define my next and final OT configuration, definitely not the previous one, I’l use it more as a hub resaler now

Thanks Obscurerobot !

1 Like

Elektron has used a number of different OEMs for the Octacard. For least trouble, I would just buy a new 32GB for $30 and keep the included card for when I resell the OT later. You can copy the contents of your old card to a new card. If the data is bad, OT won’t be happy but you won’t do permanent damage. In that case, you can wipe the new card and start over.

I would avoid WRITING to the old card, READING should be relatively safe.

Thanks Sezare,

The midi/cc in+ext fixed one of the issue, but there are other weird stuff I’ll make a big reboot and clean,

Thanks a lot guys !

1 Like

Got that, thanks I’ll get a brand new one tomorrow !

1 Like

Go for a 64 GB Compact Flash.
San Disk is reliable.

4 Likes

Should i trust you Lying Dalai lol
Thanks

3 Likes

Yes you should. I said 32 because I know it works, but I trust @LyingDalai knows that 64 is good too. Check the manual to be sure. Sandisk is worth the $$$

I also have a Sandisk 64GB Extreme (not PRO).
Keep the old one and format it !

2 Likes

Backup everything on a computer first!

Yes you can. I’ve always gone for San Disk Extreme and they never failed me in 10 years.
64GB is the maximum size the OT can take.

Check the link I provided above for other people’s advice.

3 Likes

lmao

3 Likes

The only lie I can detect is in @LyingDalai’s name. I can’t recall any actual lying here. :joy:

2 Likes

lying dalai, not lying dalai.

:smiley:

4 Likes

If I was better at math(s), I’d drop a zinger about Lie groups.

1 Like