Octatrack MK2 Data Entry Knob and Page Button LED Issues

I guess I was mostly was just trying to make some noise as this thread was started in February 2018 and while we have seen an update it didn’t address this issue. I can’t imagine that a group of engineers are gathered around the OT trying to devise a way to make the lights work correctly and they haven’t been able to come up with a solution.

Sorry for the complaining, it’s a pretty frustrating bug is all. Maybe it’s worse on my unit or something, but if the sequencer is playing I have no idea what page I’m on, which makes doing things like putting record trigs where you intended pretty difficult.

Yes I’m just bitching, but this shit ain’t cheap. This seems like it would be an easy fix.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t call it a bug

I would call it a complete lack of oversight in the quality control department

It would have been completely obvious to anyone who was using the pre-release demo version of the Mk2

Unless that person had never used another Elektron machine before then

1 Like

Do you think there is a quality control department now? :smile:

Anyway I don’t think it’s their role to check all leds and tell what color they should be…

Open tickets!

Actually if you look through the thread you’ll see this is not what is needed or indeed helpful !
The issue is already known/logged and is presumably prioritised wherever it needs to be for Elektron

I do agree the ux on the MK2s is sorely lacking in many places, it seems like the gearing is far from helpful with these newer encoder types - plus aspects like having ambiguous LED info is super unhelpful -one mitigating factor is that we all may not use the devices in the same lighting situations, so what seems obvious to some of us may not be the case in all circumstances - the same can’t be said for parameters which are nearly impossible to dial up without shooting past a value, both ways, repeatedly, that’s not a subjective thing, it’s objectively bad, but like all of these things we have to wait until these devices get attention and sometimes the wait is long for which there’ll be many reasons

1 Like

Elektron definitely have quality control

Maybe not a whole department

But they definitely have individuals who spend time using the machines as they arrive from the factory

Maybe not every machine but definitely a percentage from each batch get tested

It would be insane not to

They just didn’t consider LED brightness to be a production line stopping defect

Despite the fact the interface relies quite heavily on use visual cues

1 Like

I can’t see them in any lighting condition. Dark or light

3 Likes

I’m with you on the page clarity issue, I mean in the broader sense with some other ways dim/full LEDs are used - it’d be great if the users had access to two level ranges for dim/full

I’ve even edited the brightness of ‘leds’ in VSTs to make them distinct/clearer - this stuff is a big deal to me and it’s inexcusable in some instances to overlook these usability issues particularly when it is self evident and easy to resolve - nobody could be turning some of these parameter encoders and avoid noticing that it’s set wrong, same with these ambiguous LEDs imho

1 Like

One person? :content:
SL500_AC_SS350
f4a58b87759924fdfb6d85cd6101cef31400ec94_1_666x500

6 Likes

^ I LOL’d at that.

Yeah the LED problem on the page can be a real headache, maybe I need some of these glasses :joy:

2 Likes

:joy:

1 Like

Perfect!
I agree that the Page LED is ridiculous. I may need a warranty repair on the button as I have to press it at least 8 times more often than I should to figure out where I am.
I personally would love a green LED as current page marker.

Also, for the love of God make FILL function by just pressing PAGE like every other machine. That one drives me nuts!

2 Likes

they forgot to print the bank letters on the casing - that feels like things were rushed for mk2

1 Like

Yes I have to keep punching through one or even two rows of the pages to figure out where I am. It’s a total downer and at least for my workflow way more intrusive on my workflow than the knob sensitivity thing. :frowning:

I would definitely call it a bug. Ie not work8ng as intended. glad to hear elektron confirm that it will get fixed… but it has been a while

1 Like

Same problem here. Just bought an octatrack a couple of weeks ago. Honeymooning ever since. Great machine. You can have all kinds of “ideas” about a product to better fit your needs, but that just isn’t the point. Every developer makes choices in design, and every design has its limitations (luckily!!!). I don’t see any point in suggesting any adaptations or updates concerning its musical applications whatsoever. If you can’t make a descent track with this machine, it’s definitely you, not the machine. This being said, I do expect the design to work as it’s intended, and the simple truth is that the page LEDs are not working the way they should. If you ask me, they’re not readable at all, unless you’re prepared to do a lot of effort pushing that page button a couple of times to inspect the very subtle differences in luminosity. I have a pretty good sight, so that’s definitely not the problem :-). Please dear friends at electron, fix this problem ASAP. My analog rytm actually has the same problem, but to a lesser degree. My suggestion is to use a different colour, our at least a DRASTIC change in luminosity. Now if you’ll excuse me, I have some more tweaking to do. Have a great day!

4 Likes

Yup, page LEDs are a big let down in the mk2 unit

2 Likes

Hi all,

Just purchased an OT MKII having been a MKI user since 2016. Got a problem:

Am finding it really hard to distinguish which page I’m on: the LED brightness is basically the same for the active and inactive pages.

Worse still: when the sequencer is playing and so the amber/red blinking behaviour is going on, I can’t tell at all: I’m having to the stop the sequencer, which I ain’t gonna be able to do on stage.

Short video: https://www.dropbox.com/s/r25kid0mpw3ftp0/clip.mov?dl=0

Is this an issue with all units, or have I got some worst-case tolerance LEDs?

Tom

It’s known bug and developers have said they will fix it eventually

1 Like

Just got merged with this topic, but thanks, I guess good to see that the LED issue has been noted by developers.

didn’t notice this, but damn

The new encoders are one of the drivers to buy a MK2 for me. Hated how on the Mk1 I couldn’t close a filter down in one turn. New ones fix that.

1 Like