Octatrack - MIDI CC via cross-fader?

Hi, I was wondering if someone could advice please.

I have a Prophet '08 module synth. It does not have mod/pitch wheel so I wanted to emulate mod wheel via crossfader on OT by using NRPN. Is this possible? If anyone managed to do so - could you please share how?

Regards
Alex

Hey!

As far as I know the OT has no NRPN but it should be possible with MIDI converter/processors - like a BomeBox (or the corrsponding software MIDI Translator from Bome) for example or the receivemidi / sendmidi tools maybe

3 Likes

Hey, I normally send NRPN via OT by sending 4 x CC messages. So it is possible to send NRPN w/OT. But how would I use MIDI converter? How to connect etc?

Crossfader sends CC48 only. With a midi processor it is possible to map any midi message to a different one, and trigger others.

But you would’t have NRPN resolution.

6 Likes

You connect with a MIDI cable to the MIDI processor - so it acts like a ‘man in the middle’

2 Likes

@sezare56 aw… I wanted to send CC99 + CC98 + CC6 +CC38 -> and CC38 would be the one that would interpolate from 0 to 127… That interpolation I of CC38 I wanted to assign to Scenes - 0 for A and 127 to B. Is this possible to achieve with MIDI processor? Is there no option I could do it w/o processor?

Why don’t you use CC receive in Prophet 08?

MIDI Parameter Receive: All, NRPN, CC, Off – Sets the method by which the Prophet '08 receives parameter changes via MIDI. As with transmission, NRPNs are the preferred method, though some controllers may only be able to send CCs.

You can’t have NRPN resolution with one knob with OT.

@sezare56

because I can’t find CC for mod wheel

CC1. :wink:

3 Likes

mate, I understand… when I send NRPN I map 4 CC values to 1 trig. I thought I could map 4CC to scene A and 4 to scene B and let OT to do calculations needed

2 Likes

if that is so simple I’d do epic facepalm

never looked at this page of manual… looks like this is what I need… I’ll give it a shot! many thanks all

2 Likes

These are very common midi CC messages. :wink:

Btw, if you want to use the crossfader to control P08 CC1, you just need to map it with a midi processor : CC48 > CC1

1 Like

I got Arturia MIDI k/b connected to OT MIDI IN then OT MIDI Out connected to DSI Mopho. Do I add MIDI box to this chain like that : ARturia -> box MIDI IN / Box MIDI Out -> OT In ?

oh gosh, so I still need to buy MIDI processor? Can I not use scene to control value of CC1? Or would CC48 clash with CC1 and gear won’t understand?

Not with OT only. That’s a dream for many people I guess…

1 Like

and now I joined the club… well, time to save up for MIDI box… thanks all for help

2 Likes

You can use a knob if you want, the CC2 knob is already mapped to modwheel. You can then not only turn the knob but also plock it and throw lfo’s at it…

3 Likes

CC1 would have been better. :sketchy:

2 Likes