Octatrack Master Track 8 Send Effects

I haven’t had the time to make real use of this (haven’t set up cue level faders, or made a template for mutes that leave fx trails) but if you have iPad this could be a cheap alternative to faderfox etc.:

That would work but I don’t have an iPad and generally want to avoid screens as much as possible. But for someone else that would be fantastic.

1 Like

Oh, one of those things that should be obvious but was easy to overlook and took me longer than it should have to track down:

Don’t forget to go into the mixer and set your headphone output to main only if you do this. It defaults to an equal mix of main and cue, and that means you’ll be getting a bit of extra dry signal in your headphones when you turn up a track’s cue level to send it to the aux track, and it messes up the way your mix sounds in the headphones.

I was working that way all week (I usually don’t use headphones but I’ve been working late this week so I ended up with them on a lot so I wouldn’t drive my neighbor crazy) before I realized and all of the mixes I set up in the OT were wrong because of it - send effects were too hot because the cue in the headphones was masking the effects, compressor settings wrong because I was hearing the cue signal also and it made things sound thicker and fuller than they actually were, etc.

5 Likes

it would be great if any of you had the time to make a video showing this feature - I don’t think there’s any around…
considering I’m using one track for resampling and another one as master, I can’t afford to loose another track - but this does seem interesting for future projects, even if i don’t fully understand it yet :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I don’t have a good camera but I’m just waiting on a smartphone tripod stand to show up in the mail and then I’m going to make a couple videos, one for this and another demonstrating a technique I came up with last summer for doing true (if a bit limited) Karplus-Strong physical modelling synthesis on the OT using two tracks and a patch cable from one of the cue outs back to one of the inputs.

EDIT: if someone else wants to do an aux send video in the mean time by all means go for it!

EDIT 2: yeah, this still hasn’t happened for various reasons.

3 Likes