The OT Filter Is Awesome : Discuss Tips

Comb filter, filter, dark reverb, EQ, delay are what I tend to use most.

2 Likes

I think I already posted it elsewhere, but this is what I usually always use when I’m doing the aux send trick (which I almost always do since I started using it about a month ago - it really makes everything sound more “finished” to have one reverb as a send effect on the other 7 tracks)

FX1: spatializer
M/S on in setup menu, mids down about 10 and side up about the same
Depth and width on full, send at about half to start with but I usually turn it up most of the way
HP and LP usually end up roughly the same as their counterparts in Dark Reverb below, but I set them by ear so that varies a lot.

FX2: Dark reverb
PRE on the setup page set somewhere between 1 and 4 (helps keep transients an fast attacks sounding clear)
MIX at full wet
HP and LP set to about 50 and 100 respectively (as a very rough starting point, this always gets adjusted as the mix progresses)
SHVG up to maybe 20-30 and SHVF down in the 90-100 range (again, very rough starting points)

Using the spatializer to widen the stereo image and cut out some of the center in the dry signal before it hits the reverb really helps keep the mix sounding clear and detailed even when I add a fair amount of reverb with a long decay time, and I also find I need less reverb to achieve a similar sense of space compared to Dark Reverb on its own. It’s still not going to make me sell my BAM or anything but this combination sounds really good, on par with some pretty well loved VST reverbs I use a lot.

EDIT: swapping chorus or spatializer in a similar setup sounds good, too, if you’re after something thicker. It’s a different sound than modulated reverb like you’d hear in, say, a classic Lexicon or a Valhalla plugin something, but it works well.

13 Likes

what you mean for " aux send trick "?

Oops, I meant to link to it in the post, I’ll do that when I get home and am on a computer rather than a phone.

The short version is if you have a track recording and playing back at the same time and set the record source to Cue, you can use the per track cue level in studio mode as an aux.

2 Likes

I just used that aux send thing, in order to have a master delay and a master reverb.
Just 1 single cycle saw waveform, 6 audio tracks played by 6 midi tracks with arp.
Octatrack filters and fx only. I was fed up programming Blofeld !

13 Likes

The aux trick is discussed in the second half of this thread:

Works great, completely integral to how I use the OT now.

4 Likes

Thanks for the detail here! Really helps to hear the ‘why’ of ppl’s favourite settings too

3 Likes

i like the OT Flanger to just spice anything up and make it sound a bit cyber, for want of a better description.

If anything sounds a bit dull (particularly anything like a mid-range synth riff): load the Octatrack Flanger, dial in the wet to 50 percent at the default settings; and hey presto, exotic, magnetic audio awaits.

2 Likes

Not obvious but I used Chorus on tracks and Flanger on Master for the record above.
If you want those fx deeper, add an lfo on their DELay parameter.

2 Likes

Mods,
this is a good thread but widening out from the opening post. Don’t know if it should be split, maybe just put something about OT FX tips in the title?.. really useful posts but might be missed going by title

2 Likes

Yeah - it shouldn’t ideally get too far off-topic from the filters to keep things manageable - Title tweaked :thup:

awesome tips from @Supercolor_T-120 are elsewhere too, but let’s keep it about Filters primarily moving on

2 Likes

would be so cool if UHE build some hardware synth… the filters on diva are incredible. Do like the ones on the octa. They are clean and usefull. only keytracking would be a nice to have…

2 Likes

Octacidtrax https://instagram.com/p/Bep405KDUCu/

God, I hope so. They’ve been getting into Euro, if he’s got the EE knowledge he could do some really weird and wonderful stuff.

I‘m also a big fan of Elektron‘s digital filters, both in MD and Octa. Not as big of a fan of the analog filter in Rytm, personally.

Yea plus 1 here, love OT n MD filters.
Not so keen on Digitakt’s, the resonance is a bit nasal. gotta be gentle with that one.

Same thing for me, really like the Elektron digital filters but the analog filter on the Rytm i don’t like it either. It self oscillate to easily and sounds boring too me :slight_smile:

Have to admit, for all my complaining about it in the past, I’ve been using the OT’s EQ lately and getting better results than I used to.

2 Likes

Recently go-to on sampled synths with filters open/harmonics/grit, even layered with a higher or verb: a base at about 9 o’ clock to bottom, width almost open, Q about noon o’ clock with exponential LFO 2x/ sync trig or free. Envelope fairly open with a slow attack.

Basically a smooth following filter that closes gradually until decay with slight resonance. Not really for arp stuff i guess unless you Scene LFO multiples or vol. But it is has usually been a starting point to make synth sounds out of various things, also sometimes with 1/4 note retrigs or smaller. Certainly scene locking between A and B sets on base, width filter, etc.

Really interesting is also the LoFi with a random or designed LFO modding the SRR, etc for the 2nd effect slot.
But actually I find myself using EQ on the 2nd to deal with more sound sculpting and managing levels.

2 Likes

I agree with the overall positive opinion on the filters here. I did some testing a while ago, looking at all the curves and overall behaviour, and was quite impressed by the variety of options the OT offers. I wasn’t even aware of the DJ style filter until I lookes at the curves and that was sort of a revelation. Good point here!

1 Like