Octatrack: Is buying this a mistake in 2021?

I actually use the MIDI quite a lot but I had to accept what it is. It’s not a piano-roll or Ableton sequencer. It’s more like a bank of flexible old-skool knob sequencers plus arpeggiators. Or it’s like a tracker. It’s not Ableton in a box it’s more like Renoise in a box.

Lately I’ve been playing with connecting my OT to Renoise to mess around with my MIDI sequences in ways I can’t on the OT (transpose, shifting things forward/backward) and then sending them back to the OT.

There’s an interview with John Tejada talks about writing music in Renoise and then rearranging it on the OT for live performances.

3 Likes

dude I’m not selling crap to people, it’s just not ethical. Anyways quick update, I got a previous firmware from Elektron (1.31) and now my machine is working fine. So hardware problem is ruled out, definitely a software bug. I need to check what’s missing in comparison to 1.40A but I didn’t use randomize anyways so not a big deal. Let’s see what I could miss. In the meantime my Octatrack can be used again so I can recommend it again (@Mistercharlie). Looking forward for a fresh and stable OS update to be back on track with the newest features.

I fell back in love with my oldest elektron boxes OT and A4 mk1, while using them for the first time together in quite a while.
OT midi sequencer is super nice and fun for melodic monophonic riffs :ok_hand:

A4 is a superb acid box amongst many other things

5 Likes

Thanks to OT, I can easily combine my devices with many possible functions in one arrangement without a DAW, without annoying synchronization problems. and from a purely subjective point of view, the pure handling with the hardware devices results in a lot more creativity and fun and yes, it also sounds better than the DAW with its plugins. But as I said, that’s my subjective opinion. In addition, the capabilities of the OT are limited compared to a DAW, which in turn is good for the project because it gets to the point more quickly. oh man, i love the OT. what more would I give for a few more inputs …

1 Like

no

the octatrack is more than the sum of it’s parts. you can’t compare individual things like buttons and sequencer track numbers. there is no better sequencer than elektron outside of like a circklon or the squarp pyramid. nothing can do what the octatrack can do. it’s a unique creative tool , not a daw in a box like the other ones youve mentioned

2 Likes

As a datapoint, SELLING one in 2021 feels like a mistake. Mine was making me feel guilty/frustrated. I should have just put it in the box out of sight until I felt like using it again.

1 Like

One of the rare things I plan to never sell. Even if you don’t feel like using it, it’s gonna come in handy one day.

Indeed, Elektron do take synchronisation seriously, quite rightly so as it is of utmost importance when using a hardware setup, some software and other hardware sync is very unacceptable even today in 2021. Elektron gear is almost sample accurate or at worst less than a millisecond or 2 out, some gear by other manufacturers can be over 6ms out, which is terrible and easily heard if doing percussive music.

6 Likes

I may try connecting my M8 Tracker to my OT for similar interactions, after my M8 arrives.

I agree! never had such an accurate timing, even with a powerful computer! In that sense Elektron did their homework and aced it like no one else! To anyone that might have issues with delays, etc.: check your midi routing and how these signals propagate through the devices. I always try to split midi cables to feed parallel slaves from a master device (OT). Every time people complain about this it’s usually because they setup a crazy midi chain in series by using the midi thru that comes with many instruments. Beware of Software THRU which usually adds a considerable delay.

3 Likes

The OT is not meant to be a portable Daw replacement. It’s an idiosyncratic instrument with some very specific design choices. Most notably, the ability to live record and manipulate audio on multiple channels. Almost all samplers have a standalone function to record, assign a sample and then playback. Where the OT differs is it’s ability to simultaneously mess with recorded audio AS IT’S RECORDING.

For example you could set up conditional trigs to create a recording chain, having a random chance of recording a recording from multiple channels. As another example, you can record a track playing back, assign it to another channel, randomly slice audio live and have playback trigs with random LFO slice. Live record spamming a bunch of tweaks to the sequence, and set up crossfader to go between regular loop and the jumbled one. You could then record your crossfader tweaks between the jumbled track and regular on the master channel, loop as it’s still playing, switch to the looped audio run a new pattern behind that and crossfade into the new sequence with Beatmatch. That’s not really the kind of think an Akai or Maschine is set up to do.

Also, while I do agree that the reverb and effects don’t sound great, they aren’t really there to be studio grade effects. They are there to do quirky live sequencer and scene manipulations. The FX quality of which I promise you nobody cares about when you are performing. If I really need good reverbs etc I just record in or sample from something that has good reverb instead of adding in with the OT.

11 Likes

…sounds like hardware issues with ur device…
can’t confirm any of ur problems ur refering to…defenitly no bug report…

wether on mk1 nor on mk2…but yes, mk2 hardware can cause more likely issues as u describe, since it got this squarebuttons, each with indiviual led multicolour backlights built in…
that can lead to a little higher fragility in daily use and abuse in functioning compared to the simple and sturdy round buttons that have just oldschool status led’s each above, which only offer the classic clolours…

also the klak klak zak zak workflow sounds haptic wise way nicer than on the mk2’s… :wink:
but that’s all only mechanical reasons…no firmware relations…

Yeah, that comes from Machinedrum RAM machines, and they improved drastically the concept, audio quality (ok MD has “character”:pl:), and fx possibilities.

The scenes / crossfader seems also pretty unique with hardware. 250 assignable parameters.

Yes. But it is for me. Last time I wanted to chop files in my DAW to go faster, and ended to do it with OT for faster mangling tests, it was more pleasant, and I’m not sure it would have been much faster with the DAW I know well.

2 Likes

Unfortunately record trigs do not have TRC, I wish they did and many feature requests have been sent.

3 Likes

nope it’s not hardware. After downgrading to a stable firmware version the button issue is gone. I wrote Elektron Support asking for a check-up/repair and they told me that it was pointless since they already know it’s a software bug. Maybe what you say could happen in a few years but come on, the unit is not even three years old and it has been always in very caring hands. Mine belongs to a 2018 batch according to the sticker with the SN. I got in touch with another elektronaut experiencing the same issue, so it seems to affect only certain (maybe early) mk2 units.

At least you can do it remotely or via MIDI loopback. I guess that’s better than nothing …

2 Likes

Or the old fashioned random way, set to 1 shot record and:
Just add blindfold :laughing:

3 Likes

With MIDI loopback you can even modulate recording length, use arpeggiator to control the 8 recorders, and many other crazy possibilities…

3 Likes

Dirty boy :laughing:

1 Like

Recently I did it with random FX choice : a 1 bar pattern with 8 parts, each 2 steps with 8 patterns looped in arranger (playing steps accordingly).
Holding arrows and Yes to randomize them, too fast to choose! Kind of random…different fx each 2 step, with randomized values :

Purpose was to randomize scenes on each step with PAGE + YES : scene A = every parameter plocked. Scene B = no plocks, hence following track parameters you can randomize quickly with PAGE + YES.

Crazy results! Have to make a video…

8 Likes